News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: [Help] Specific NBA Jam TE SNES ROM Questions  (Read 469 times)

eskayelle

• View Profile
[Help] Specific NBA Jam TE SNES ROM Questions
« on: June 20, 2017, 02:11:39 pm »
Hello.  I've gotten about as far as my understanding of hex codes and tiles will get me in my NBA Jam TE ROM hack, but there are a few nice additions I'd like to make to my ROM if I can figure out how.  If anyone can help answer one or more of the questions below, that'd be huge.  Here's my "wish list":

1) I'd like to hack the Acclaim logo such that I change out the word "entertainment" within the graphic.  Using TileMolester, I can't seem to find the tiles for the Acclaim logo.  Does anyone know the address for where the Acclaim graphic at the start of the game is held?
2) I'd like to change the player sprite that's in the Acclaim screen such that he looks like Vlade Divac.  I have a separate forum topic ("Head Graphic Hacking") out with questions on where the pointers may be and how to change them such that the character becomes Vlade Divac.  If someone has ideas on this, please let me know.
3) I'd like to change the Rookies' uniforms such that they look like Olympics uniforms.  I'm not sure if this requires ASM hacking or simple tile editing, as I don't know where to locate the uniforms in the ROM (Is there a specific set of addresses I should look for?  And how large are the tiles?  2x2?  Something else?  How many animations would need adjustment?).  If someone knows how to change the uniform colors, please let me know how that might be done.
4) I'd like to set up the team select screen such that two buttons cycle backward through the various player combinations.  Currently, A, B, X, and Y all cycle forward.  This looks like it requires an ASM hack, which I don't know how to do.  Is there code someone would be able to provide me (and explain how to insert it) that would do this?  And, would inserting that code lead to adding bytes and therefore cause problems in the ROM with pointers or size, etc.?  (I'm probably overstepping on this one, so please feel free to ignore.)
5) I'd like to understand how to replace the compressed portraits sitting in the 7F bank of the ROM.  It may require changing pointers, but I don't 100% understand what that means and where the pointers would need to point (would a new bank need to be added and new portraits pointed over to there)?  Looking to understand the theory here and how it'd work.
6) I've read of a bug in the original game where players who beat all 27 teams don't get their initials in the Grand Champions screen (from playing the game years ago, I seem to remember my initials not registering).  If there's a bug fix, is there a simple hex edit I can do, or does it require an ASM hack?

Thanks for reading!

eskayelle

• View Profile
Re: [Help] Specific NBA Jam TE SNES ROM Questions
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 03:51:01 pm »
Hello, all.  It's been about a year since I put aside my NBA Jam TE hacking project.  I'd been able to swap out portraits (except for compressed ones), change team names in the menu and on the scoreboard, edit the courtside banners, change codes for secret characters, display attributes for secret characters when placing them in a menu (I replaced the Rookies with the 1992 Dream Team and used Bird's secret character to save a roster slot), edited the names in the attract mode roster screen, edited the final credits, created an OP secret character, revised face sprites, and edited the features attract screens, but I wasn't able to figure out the items in this previous message.  Wonder if anyone had ever come upon some answers they could share?