News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Zelda 2 FDS Translation  (Read 15091 times)

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
Re: Zelda 2 FDS Translation
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2017, 12:19:33 pm »
If the patch has since been fixed, then Nestopia is possibly still running a backup copy of the game.
However, I can't seem to find where Nestopia is putting it.
And wow is Windows 8's File Search function useless shit. It can't find the file or hell, even nestopia.exe as a test. :P

Okay, after Googling said Windows problem and then doing a search, it seems that the last official Nestopia (from 2008!) saves the game as a UPS patch (your Zelda II ROM filename + .ups) in the "Patch" directory defined in your Path settings in the emulator. Find and delete that file to erase your old save games, since that appears (from what I read) to be part of the problem.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 12:35:40 pm by KingMike »
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

columbo

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2017, 08:24:01 pm »
Ok, well I made a new patch to apply to your rom that's already been patched up to 2.2.  Is that how this is supposed to work?  I dunno... If not I'll replace it later.

I fixed the dialog issues, and the text that was bleeding.

If I did something funky and there's a problem I'll fix it sometime soon. (It's past my bedtime right now though, so give me a day or two.)

Also worth noting:  If you bring yourself back to a town where the dialog was messed up with a save state from the old patch, you probably need to leave the town and come back for the dialog to be fixed.

Here's the patch: 
*ignore this patch.  use the new one i posted below.*

Let me know if it works out for you!  I think I need to start putting the patch number on the title screen.  Maybe next update I'll do that.

Edit: In fact, just think of this as a preview of the real patch that I'll put out soon.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 07:35:49 pm by columbo »

xttx

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2017, 10:09:24 pm »
Hey KingMike thanks for the reply. Deleting that save info does nothing. When i patch a clean rom with the ips patch it corrupts the game. In nestopia it comes up as corrupt file.

I made sure there were no old save files in those folders. This patch worked in previous versions but something is wrong and it will not work this time.

Can anything be done to get this to work?

columbo

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2017, 10:36:47 pm »
Hey KingMike thanks for the reply. Deleting that save info does nothing. When i patch a clean rom with the ips patch it corrupts the game. In nestopia it comes up as corrupt file.

I made sure there were no old save files in those folders. This patch worked in previous versions but something is wrong and it will not work this time.

Can anything be done to get this to work?
I should have a newer patch in a few days.  If there is something wrong with the 2.2 patch, hopefully this will fix it.

xttx

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2017, 11:11:36 pm »
I should have a newer patch in a few days.  If there is something wrong with the 2.2 patch, hopefully this will fix it.

I patched a clean rom with 2.2 and then added 2.3 on top of that. It still says corrupted rom in nestopia.

I will wait for the next patch to see if this will work.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 12:08:51 am by xttx »

columbo

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2017, 07:32:01 pm »
Alright.  So as far as I can tell for whatever reason the 2.2 patch broke compatibility with Nestopia.

I went ahead and through some testing I think I can say I took the 2.1 patch and re-fixed the items that didn't spawn.  Then I went ahead and fixed the dialog glitches that were brought up.  I tested both of these in Nestopia, and then I tested it on the real hardware.  Everything should be set now (as far as known issues).  Here's the (hopefully fully working) 2.3 patch.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/d3e6fzqyabkel33/Zelda_2_.3_%28ENG%29.ips

On Saturday night or Sunday I plan on modifying the title screen to have a subtle "Ver. 2.3" added to it.  Then I'll see about replacing the patch listed on the romhacking.net page.

As far as the 2.2 patch goes, I had luck patching with Flips IPS and then playing it with FCUEX.  Not sure what the problem was with Nestopia.  I didn't look into it, but maybe it was missing a header or something.

Please give me any feedback you have on this new patch.  I want to have this game 100% tested so I can move on to another project.

Edit: Oh, and I'm just remembering I still need to fix the Town of Mido sign as well as typo where "my" should be "may".  Ughhh...Oh well.  I'll get that done before I submit the new patch to the site.  Guess that version will be 2.31 or something.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 08:25:14 pm by columbo »

Abster

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2017, 08:39:50 pm »
Aside from lacking an apostrophe in some words (Did Zelda 2 native even have one?)  The dialogue locations in western Hyrule seem to be fixed now.  There's only one other thing I found.

There doesn't need to be a line break just for exclamation marks.  Moving onto eastern Hyrule the town of Nobooru does have its own fair share of errors though and those weren't fixed yet.

Also, 2.3 needs to be patched on top of 2.2.  Patching 2.3 by itself doesn't do anything.  :P

xttx

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2017, 01:48:27 am »
Really? I patched 2.3 to a clean rom and it works perfect. For nestopia you cannot patch 2.2 or the emulator will show it as corrupt rom.

columbo

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2017, 08:05:05 pm »
I've gone ahead and fixed the remaining minor dialog issues with the exception of missing apostrophes.  I also added a reference to the current patch number after the Nintendo copyright logo. 

This will be my last update for now unless someone finds some more bugs.  Was someone saying there were more dialog issues further in the game?  Maybe they deleted their post?  I did a once over of the script, and I didn't see anything, but make sure to report any errors so I can make sure this is working 100%.  I would greatly appreciate it.

I'll probably do some more testing myself, but once again, I'm not sure how fast I'll be making progress.  I plan on starting a new project tomorrow, so for now I'll be spending time on that.

This patch is for a fresh rom of the game.  I know I briefly did that patch of a patch thing, but not this time.

Patch version ENG 2.31
https://www.mediafire.com/file/yeag65rv235c11f/Zelda%202%20.31%20%28ENG%29.ips

Edit:
Moving onto eastern Hyrule the town of Nobooru does have its own fair share of errors though and those weren't fixed yet.
THIS is what I was thinking of.  If you can cite anything specific I'll try to fix it ASAP.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 09:38:49 pm by columbo »

Abster

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2017, 07:33:08 am »
Been caught up in my 2 IRL jobs right now so didn't have time to take screenshots.  I will do some work on Tuesday at least, because there's plenty more of those address errors. 

columbo

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2017, 03:58:09 pm »
Been caught up in my 2 IRL jobs right now so didn't have time to take screenshots.  I will do some work on Tuesday at least, because there's plenty more of those address errors.
No worries!  Anything you can do to help is greatly appreciated!  I've definitely been a bit sleep deprived lately myself due to work related reasons.  I'm very grateful for anyone playing and finding bugs.

Welp...Another day another patch.  I looked over the script and I fixed something that will hopefully have all the later dialog working.  I'm hoping this means everything is good to go, but you never know.  I'll just leave this here:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/yptb86hxokmudd0/Zelda_2_.32_%28ENG%29.ips

Abster

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2017, 01:23:58 am »
Looks like most of the pointer stuff has been fixed regarding dialogue locations.  There are some minor spelling errors that remain that I'll post here.

V where a space should be.
One L instead of two
Not an error, but I'm not sure about the "yay!" at the end.
Bleeding text here
Worse text bleeding at Darunia entrance sign
Darunia spelling error.
Again, one L instead of two
Someones instead of "Somones"
Finally, some garbage tiles in the game's ending for when Zelda wakes up.

That's everything I could find this go around.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2017, 10:51:50 am »
Should have an apostrophe, if you have one in the font. Otherwise, I'd spell it out "someone is" preferably, and "someone" if not.

abw

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2017, 10:40:30 pm »
In fairness, I think this one is highly dependent on whether the translation is into actual English or just American :P.

Abster

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2017, 01:19:08 am »
Who spells Travelers with 2 Ls?

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2017, 05:49:44 am »

British people. Seriously, man, how do you not know that? :D

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2017, 02:02:20 pm »
They're not grateful we took the fluff u's out of their language? :D

columbo

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2017, 02:19:11 pm »
Looks like most of the pointer stuff has been fixed regarding dialogue locations.  There are some minor spelling errors that remain that I'll post here.

V where a space should be.
One L instead of two
Not an error, but I'm not sure about the "yay!" at the end.
Bleeding text here
Worse text bleeding at Darunia entrance sign
Darunia spelling error.
Finally, some garbage tiles in the game's ending for when Zelda wakes up.

That's everything I could find this go around.

Thanks for the update!  I'll try to get another patch out sometime over the weekend where I fix spelling errors and whatnot.  Not sure I'll fix the garbage tiles this go around, but I'll take a look at it.  Hopefully I just need to replace the sprites with the correct ones or something.  Not sure why that's happening.

firedropdl

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2017, 11:50:56 pm »
Just wanted to show my support here columbo.  Thanks for all your work man.  Looking forward to playing this someday.  :)

RadioTails

• Holding the Mega Drive controller
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2017, 09:58:53 am »
Bleeding text here

Would it be better to have it displayed as:

THE TEMPLE
LIES EAST
OF NABOORU.

Traveller's Tales, the British programmers who made Sonic R, Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex, and all the broken lego games. :P
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 10:04:31 am by RadioShadow »