News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Zelda 2 FDS Translation  (Read 12528 times)

columbo

• View Profile
Zelda 2 FDS Translation
« on: June 07, 2017, 04:04:18 pm »
I looked and couldn't find a patch for Zelda 2 on the Famicom Disk System, so I decided to try and translate it myself.

Thanks largely to a script comparison put out by the guys that did the retranslation found here:
http://www.glitterberri.com/adventure-of-link/retranslation/

I've put together a patch that changes the dialog to English.  It leaves in a lot from the original USA release, plus I corrected a few things, shortened a lot and changed a thing or two. You can download it at this mega link.

https://mega.nz/#!cC413ZYb!xd78wM9Ja8oL0WVZ_RsG692eX9pgNxOcS0WNt7zUIOw

I've hardly tested this thing, so if you're interested I would love some feedback.  Plus if the dialog completely fudges up at some point you can let me know.  I'm going to test it as well, but I'm not sure how fast I'll be getting through the game.  It's been a while since I've played and this version may be harder than the original.

Here's the md5 sum of the original rom:
e230433a97b88b08d4ad58c76ba268e6  Legend of Zelda 2, The - Link no Bouken (Japan) (v1.1).fds

Here's the sha1 sum of the original rom:
8877321f1fda7d54bf2468dd6f5e36d321cbcce1  Legend of Zelda 2, The - Link no Bouken (Japan) (v1.1).fds

Moderator Note: Was moved out of Personal Projects because it's moreso for WIP projects.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 11:00:34 am by MathOnNapkins »

zstandig

• View Profile
Re: Zelda 2 FDS Translation
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 03:25:40 pm »
I played up to the towns and everything seemed okay (using FCEUX)

I have a powerpak and tried that and got a 'bad header' error.  (That's from the powerpak not the disksystem rom)

However the powerpak uses the disksytem rom is probably the culprit as I've never been able to get any fds hacks or translations to work properly.

Ya Dad

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 08:30:24 am »
I have an FDS Stick that I am going to try this with on a real Famicom Disk System. I'm still waiting on my FDS to come in through the mail, so I'll report back when it arrives.

FCandChill

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 06:51:37 pm »
Nice job. Out of curiosity, does the FDS hardware have the ability to display variable width font..? NES carts with enough VRAM can. This could help you put in more text but you could always expand the textboxes.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 09:19:56 pm »
Really the only requirement is VRAM, with enough free tiles to hold an entire window worth of text, as well as enough free RAM to use as a buffer for rendering the VWF text. As well vblank time to transfer the data from RAM to VRAM.

The FDS uses VRAM, whether the rest is sufficient depends on the game. (the FDS has more RAM, but that's because it NEEDS it to store program code/data loaded from the disk. You can't execute code off the disk directly.)

I think I looked at Zelda II's textboxes briefly once (on the NES) and I recall it draw each line of the window as a string of border/space tiles. Whether or not you could scrape up enough free space for a replacement routine to generate the window from different sized dimensions, I don't know.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Asaki

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2017, 08:17:50 am »
Whether or not you could scrape up enough free space for a replacement routine to generate the window from different sized dimensions, I don't know.

I think getting rid of the double-spacing (which a few games, like Dragon Warrior, did) would give plenty of space without having to resize the windows.

moritasan2040

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2017, 06:26:47 am »
Looks great, Columbo. Thanks for this. I can't believe it hadn't been done sooner. I'll be trying it out on my NES Classic, so I'll let you know how that goes. Luckily the FCD version is easier (in my opinion) becuz you can max out your strength faster.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2017, 11:52:11 am »
You know though if you get a Game Over you lose all that, though?
(upon Game Over, it sets your levels back to the lowest one of the three. People originally thought it was a bug but that is actually intended behavior. There is an NPC which warned you to raise levels evenly. In the localization it was changed to something else like "When all else fails, use fire." since that version decided to make a couple enemies require the Fire spell to kill.)

8.bit.fan

• View Profile
    • 8-bit fan's Hacking Projects
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2017, 04:22:30 pm »
This is great, can't wait to try it!
I've always preferred the Japanese version because of the sound/music.

Thanks for this! :)
In the year of 200X, a super robot named Mega Man...
http://www.8bitfan.info/

moritasan2040

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2017, 09:46:28 am »
You know though if you get a Game Over you lose all that, though?
(upon Game Over, it sets your levels back to the lowest one of the three. People originally thought it was a bug but that is actually intended behavior. There is an NPC which warned you to raise levels evenly. In the localization it was changed to something else like "When all else fails, use fire." since that version decided to make a couple enemies require the Fire spell to kill.)
Wow. I didn't know that. I guess I never got far enuf to get a game over. I think I've only beaten the first palace.

jordiway73

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2017, 01:24:22 am »
http://www.romhacking.net/translations/3177/

I only found 1 error and fixed (get it error lol)

flashpv updated the title screen

missing copyright symbol was fixed hope you enjoy

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2017, 02:15:57 am »
Did you find anything different about this game compared to the NES version? How did the music sound like?

Abster

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2017, 04:46:03 pm »
Some pretty major issues with this translation patch.  Not seeing a whole lot with the actual script so far but there are other issues.

Namely, items not spawning.  Their locations are essentially identical to the NES release.  Among items not spawning are magic and heart containers, bonus exp bags, and most importantly, items that are required to learn certain spells essential to completing the game, like the trophy that teaches you the jump spell.  I can't go beyond the first palace without the jump spell.

dACE

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2017, 09:33:17 am »
flashpv updated the title screen

missing copyright symbol was fixed hope you enjoy

Sanctuaris should perhaps be spelled Sanctuaries?

/dACE

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2017, 12:37:03 pm »
Did this patch not fix the bad English that was in the original game title sequence? :P
("SANCTUARIS" being one of the original mistakes)

"AWAKEN THE ANOTHER SLEEPING PRINCESS ZELDA"

jordiway73

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2017, 12:15:49 pm »
No all the original Engrish was kept intact

here is the newest patch to fix the missing items

http://www.mediafire.com/file/jccgfhn8c4w0dv7/Zelda22.7z

need some people to play this all the way through to make sure there are no more bugs

Abster

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2017, 02:04:26 am »
Ok, it looks like the items are back in the game proper, now I can kinda dig through this.

Most of the issues seem to be some dialogue locations being incorrect.

In Saria

The purple Bot has two dialogues.  The first of which the first 3 times you speak to it, and the other happening when you speak to it at least 4 times.  It is initially sleeping and then tells you Bug's location after you speak to it at least 4 times.  Right now the hint is the first thing it says instead of the second.  I have no idea what the "F...." is for, but I found the dialog for when it's supposed to be sleeping.  Right now Bug is the one who's sleeping instead. XD 
  A missing "a" in "may" in this shot, when the riverman grants you access to the bridge after you see Bug.

From Mido...
  Bug's correct dialogue is currently being used by the swordman who teaches you the downstab.
  While the swordman's correct dialogue is being used by the magician who teaches you the Fairy spell.
  The magician's dialogue is being used by an NPC who at least in the American version asks you to visit Error in Ruto for a hint as to the Island Palace location.
  Here the "Mido" line can be moved down to the next line instead of bleeding onto the dialogue box as it is now.

Those are the errors I see so far.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 06:31:24 am by Abster »

columbo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2017, 11:11:11 am »
No all the original Engrish was kept intact

here is the newest patch to fix the missing items

http://www.mediafire.com/file/jccgfhn8c4w0dv7/Zelda22.7z

need some people to play this all the way through to make sure there are no more bugs

What was the deal with the items missing?  Did I overwrite something I shouldn't have?  Or was that just in the updated patch?

September 06, 2017, 01:50:25 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Ok, it looks like the items are back in the game proper, now I can kinda dig through this.

Most of the issues seem to be some dialogue locations being incorrect.

In Saria

The purple Bot has two dialogues.  The first of which the first 3 times you speak to it, and the other happening when you speak to it at least 4 times.  It is initially sleeping and then tells you Bug's location after you speak to it at least 4 times.  Right now the hint is the first thing it says instead of the second.  I have no idea what the "F...." is for, but I found the dialog for when it's supposed to be sleeping.  Right now Bug is the one who's sleeping instead. XD 
  A missing "a" in "may" in this shot, when the riverman grants you access to the bridge after you see Bug.

From Mido...
  Bug's correct dialogue is currently being used by the swordman who teaches you the downstab.
  While the swordman's correct dialogue is being used by the magician who teaches you the Fairy spell.
  The magician's dialogue is being used by an NPC who at least in the American version asks you to visit Error in Ruto for a hint as to the Island Palace location.
  Here the "Mido" line can be moved down to the next line instead of bleeding onto the dialogue box as it is now.

Those are the errors I see so far.

Ahh.  Good info!  Looks like I have some work to do.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 01:50:26 pm by columbo »

jordiway73

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2017, 04:28:48 pm »
It seems there are no good dumps of this game to be downloaded anywhere on the net every place I found had the same bad dump. So I had a friend dump his and send it to me,then I was able to fix the issue.

I'm not sure how much space you have to work with, when it comes to adding more text. I know I had very little when it came to the first Zelda game.

The best advice I can give you it to save it for where its needed most, and steal it from where its not needed like towns people saying Hello could be Hi instead.

Let me know if you need any help and make sure you use the current patch for editing

xttx

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2017, 11:06:02 pm »
I cant get this game to run at all in nestopia. It always throws the same error corrupt or missing file. anything i might be missing here?

It worked before patch 2.2 but now the newest patch 2.2 will not work on nestopia. It throws an cpu jam/corrupt file.

In trying to get the items to appear I think the changes corrupt the image for nestopia.

Check this thread out:

https://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12911

The missing items is actually a common problem that is remedied quite easy. Columbo, can you help to get this final version working on Nestopia again please?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 07:32:35 am by xttx »