News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: [Jap > Eng Translator(s)] Hokuto no Ken 4 famicom  (Read 3198 times)

jackic

• View Profile
[Jap > Eng Translator(s)] Hokuto no Ken 4 famicom
« on: October 09, 2019, 06:46:56 am »
Greetings,

I am trying to translate this game, based on the Hokuto no Ken manga and presenting and original (gaiden) story not present in the manga that seems to happen AFTER the end of said manga. The goal of the project will be release 2 or 3 patches translating the game into English, Spanish and, maybe, french.

The game is a quirky rpg and is the last famicom Hnk game left to be translated.

What I need is a person or several people to help with translating the script into English, Spanish or french, I can work with any of those, my Japanese is barebones and I really can't finish the job by myself.

All the hacking needed to show roman characters in the game has already been done and only translation / insertion is left.

The game also uses a dictionary for saving space but it will not be necessary to translate as I will set another up when the script is translated.

Anyone who wishes to contribute, can do so freely here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lglB0KZ9McA2AJ8-VsdYj0XBSAW9k7L3qh6sUkMiOMs/edit?usp=sharing

Even a single line of text will be helpful, also, this is supposed to be a long term project so no hurries there.

Thanks in advance.

Solid One

• Silent Fighter
    • View Profile
Re: [Jap > Eng Translator(s)] Hokuto no Ken 4 famicom
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2019, 09:32:23 am »
Recently I've helped some friends of mine on a few attempts of translating Hokuto no Ken NES RPG games, by editing their title screens. Here's the title screens of HNK3 and HNK4 I've edited:

Feel free to use them if you like. I can send you the PSD files from photoshop if you want.

filler

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • "WINNERS DON'T SELL REPROS"
    • View Profile
    • Filler's Translation Projects
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2019, 10:52:30 am »
For starters, I'd like to say that transliterating the titles as "Hokuto no Ken" seems silly when "Fist of the North Star" is a well known, highly accurate, officially localized title.

Secondly to Jackic; would you post a link to the Japanese script for folks to take a look at? You might also mention the size in kilobytes or number of "moji" (a.k.a. characters).

jackic

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2019, 12:41:27 pm »
Recently I've helped some friends of mine on a few attempts of translating Hokuto no Ken NES RPG games, by editing their title screens. Here's the title screens of HNK3 and HNK4 I've edited:

Feel free to use them if you like. I can send you the PSD files from photoshop if you want.

Hi there, and sure mate!

That would be great, even though for now the graphics for the title screen are still compressed, I guess the changes have not been applied to the rom yet, right? If they are, an ips patch would be very, very nice as the title screen looks great. I was thinking of maybe use a variation of what I personally used on this patch and was adapted from the nes adaptation:

http://www.romhacking.net/translations/4795/

For starters, I'd like to say that transliterating the titles as "Hokuto no Ken" seems silly when "Fist of the North Star" is a well known, highly accurate, officially localized title.

Secondly to Jackic; would you post a link to the Japanese script for folks to take a look at? You might also mention the size in kilobytes or number of "moji" (a.k.a. characters).

Greetings Filler,

there is already a link to the full script in the opening post, a link to a google doc, here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lglB0KZ9McA2AJ8-VsdYj0XBSAW9k7L3qh6sUkMiOMs/edit?usp=sharing

But I will attach a clean txt of the full script on this reply for anyone to do as they please, here:

https://mega.nz/#!rSgnEQrR!sAE4mfFgIWnh1bzhEww-Cp9ZAa3MJGuMHreGSexDqAE

The script is about 90k long.

Some screenshots of the game in English:

Thanks for the replies.

Solid One

• Silent Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2019, 04:07:13 pm »

Indeed, for most english western audiences, "Fist of the North Star" is a most common title. However, there's already two fan translations for Hokuto no Ken games hosted here on rh.net that uses "Hokuto no Ken" as a main title, having "Fist of the North Star" above the logo, in smaller letters:

That's why I've followed that pattern. But besides that, I've re-edited the title in order to include "Fist of the North Star" above the logo. Take a look:

Quote from: jackic
That would be great, even though for now the graphics for the title screen are still compressed, I guess the changes have not been applied to the rom yet, right? If they are, an ips patch would be very, very nice as the title screen looks great. I was thinking of maybe use a variation of what I personally used on this patch and was adapted from the nes adaptation:

For HNK3, yes, because they're uncompressed, and that was only a matter of editing graphics and tilemaps. But for HNK4, no, that was only a stub made with a screenshot taken from an emulator.

filler

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • "WINNERS DON'T SELL REPROS"
    • View Profile
    • Filler's Translation Projects
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2019, 09:21:56 pm »
there is already a link to the full script in the opening post

Obviously I need to read more carefully before posting. :P

...there's already two fan translations for Hokuto no Ken games hosted here on rh.net that uses "Hokuto no Ken" as a main title, having "Fist of the North Star" above the logo, in smaller letters...

...besides that, I've re-edited the title in order to include "Fist of the North Star" above the logo.

Gotcha. That's much better IMO.

Tacodude89

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2021, 09:46:40 pm »
Just wondering if anyone is still working on this. I'd help but some days I can barely read English.