News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Knight Rider Special (PC Engine) - Complete Retranslation  (Read 3148 times)

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
Knight Rider Special (PC Engine) - Complete Retranslation
« on: May 30, 2017, 07:20:22 am »
Hello all, long time no write.

I was brought back to activity thanks to forum member cabbage, who found my awful old Knight Rider Special translation and noticed a couple of NOPs in the code would change the text to 8x16 instead of 16x16. That simple change encouraged me to use KingMike's old DTE help doc to work out if I could use DTE in this game, and sure enough, I managed it. To cut a long story short, several days' work has resulted in a complete retranslation of the game.

Nothing remains from my old translation, it's totally new. The voice samples are untranslated - I don't know if anyone knows anything at all about replacing voice samples (can't think of a single translation that has ever done that).

I've already submitted it to the database, but if anyone cares to try it now, here's the link from my personal site:

http://s346165667.websitehome.co.uk/psyktrans/kr-v2.0.zip

Both headered and non-headered ROMs will work as I've included BPS patches for both. :)

Take a look and let me know what you think!

elmer

• View Profile
Re: Knight Rider Special (PC Engine) - Complete Retranslation
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 12:21:54 pm »
Extremely cool stuff, thanks!

It's always good to see the PCE get a little attention.

ArkthePieKing

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 02:20:02 pm »
As a matter of fact, there was just a really popular translation project for the PCE that was a total redub of a game.

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=23921.0

If you're interested in redoing the voices I'd be happy to lend my talent. I wasn't able to properly audition for their project and I've been itching to try my hand at voice acting for a while now.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 03:22:42 pm »
As a matter of fact, there was just a really popular translation project for the PCE that was a total redub of a game.

That sounds cool... but it's a CD game with Red Book CD audio (from what I can see). Totally different to the voice samples in this game, I'm afraid. :) I would love to do some voice acting too, looks like I was too late for that project (though it seems they got plenty of people to respond).

elmer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 08:53:33 pm »
That sounds cool... but it's a CD game with Red Book CD audio (from what I can see). Totally different to the voice samples in this game, I'm afraid. :) I would love to do some voice acting too, looks like I was too late for that project (though it seems they got plenty of people to respond).

Actually, most of the VO in the first LoX game is ADPCM embedded in the data track, and not CD Audio ... but that's not really important.

Replacing sample data in the Knight Rider HuCard might not be too horrible. There are only a couple of sane ways to store it in a HuCard.

The "fun" would be in trying to figure out where it's stored, and how long it is.

If you're running Mednafen, then you'd put a breakpoint on the Timer IRQ or the HBLANK IRQ, and trace through the code to find out where the pointer to the sound data is stored.

It depends upon just how comfortable you are in assembly code.

Getting replacement data into the appropriate format is unlikely to be too hard.

Sample playback is usually much simpler than the font hacking that you guys had to do.

cabbage

• View Profile
    • cabbage.cx
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2017, 01:32:25 am »
Great work on the re-translation :thumbsup: