News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations of early Famicom games  (Read 43553 times)

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
Re: Translations of early Famicom games
« Reply #220 on: March 27, 2018, 08:34:30 pm »
Time for me to chime in with thoughts. :)

I actually made a start on FT5 because I figured the text wouldn't be so much, but after making a table I realised playing Power Pad games without a Power Pad is easier said than done. To put my script into the game would require me to actually play the game, and given the twelve buttons involved, it's hard enough to play it on a keyboard, let alone a joypad. Not sure how anyone else has managed these games before, given the Power Pad difficulties. Any thoughts?

I worked on Pokkun Mogura before, which is basically the same thing as a Power Pad game, at least from an emulation standpoint.
(I believe technically it used its own miniaturized hammer so it's like a tabletop Power Pad. Though I'm not certain as I've seen the loose cart sometimes, which is basically useless, but only once or twice with the hammer/pad)
The game infuriated me on the final stage (until I find out there's a secret Ultra difficulty) with how CONSISTENTLY it was giving me 78% and sometimes 79% scores, but just couldn't get the (I believe) 80% score needed to pass.
True it probably is a bad reason to stop a game, and would warrant just figuring out to cheat a winning score.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

filler

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • "WINNERS DON'T SELL REPROS"
    • View Profile
    • Filler's Translation Projects
« Reply #221 on: March 27, 2018, 11:31:42 pm »

Um, okay, maybe I'll look at this too. :D

I'm on a bit of downtime at the mo, but hopefully I'll get a chance to look at a few things soon enough.

That would be great! I'm just trying to see how many of these I can dump scripts for. I don't necessarily have time or motivation to translate all of them, but I'm hoping an intrepid translator or two may want to help out with this effort as well.

Starscream

• View Profile
« Reply #222 on: March 28, 2018, 07:26:00 am »
Haja no Fuuin: Didn't have much luck with this yet. Probably need someone else to dump the script.

It was translated for the Master System as "Miracle Warriors", though the Famicom version looks at least graphically a bit closer to the original computer versions.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #223 on: May 03, 2018, 06:47:27 am »
I'm back, boys! :D

Filler released his translation of the Zoids game, so I took it upon myself to put it into the game. Needless to say, I got distracted with other things besides ROM hacking. :) But I've sat down today and had a go at getting something started, and here's the result:

If you compare it to the original game, you'll see I've removed the dakuten spaces between lines and moved the text slightly to the left, thus giving me lots of screen space. The text appears slowly because of the system it uses: it only loads letters one at a time, every few frames. It would be trivial for them to load the entire text block at once, but why do that, eh? ::) Adjusting that could be tricky. Also fiddly is the menu: I had to use 'say' rather than 'talk' and 'dat' rather than 'data' because there's a space for three letters, not four. Of course, I could fix it, but that would take longer. I'll leave it like that for now.

Fortunately, it looks like this uses the same mapper that Sherlock Holmes used, so I think I'll expand the ROM, thus negating the need for any compression. There's not a huge amount of text to put in there, I'll just need to figure out a way of switching to the right bank. With Sherlock I linked to a RAM byte that stored the level number, but I haven't looked into this game enough to figure out what would be appropriate here.

It's early days, but at least this shows a bit of promise. :)

cccmar

• View Profile
    • Nebulous Translations site
« Reply #224 on: May 03, 2018, 07:10:27 am »
 :thumbsup: Cool, this is looking pretty nice in terms of readability I'd say! Out of boredom I checked the script a couple of months back, while playing the game in Japanese for the language practice, and noticed a few random typos in there, (must be the editor's spirit kicking in!) so if you want I could drop you the fixed version. I should still have it around - beats fixing it later, during the testing phase. :)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 12:22:17 pm by cccmar »

filler

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • "WINNERS DON'T SELL REPROS"
    • View Profile
    • Filler's Translation Projects
« Reply #225 on: May 03, 2018, 09:27:49 pm »
I'm back, boys! :D
It's early days, but at least this shows a bit of promise. :)

Awesome! It's great to see this moving forward. It's a cute little game.

:thumbsup: Cool, this is looking pretty nice in terms of readability I'd say! Out of boredom I checked the script a couple of months back, while playing the game in Japanese for the language practice, and noticed a few random typos in there, (must be the editor's spirit kicking in!) so if you want I could drop you the fixed version. I should still have it around - beats fixing it later, during the testing phase. :)

I didn't mean to ignore your previous post about this. Thanks for offering to provide your findings.

Psyklax, do you want me to accept this report, make the changes to the script, and return it to you, or would you like to accept the report directly?

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #226 on: May 04, 2018, 01:51:45 am »
Psyklax, do you want me to accept this report, make the changes to the script, and return it to you, or would you like to accept the report directly?

Uh, I dunno, I was going to go over every line with a fine-toothed comb anyhow, but if you want, you can look yourself at what cccmar found. :)

cccmar

• View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 04, 2018, 01:52:51 am »
I didn't mean to ignore your previous post about this. Thanks for offering to provide your findings.

Frankly, I sorta forgot about it, but considering that Psyklax is now working on it, I figured I'd chime in. :D There weren't that many issues in there (since it's not a massive script) - either way, I can confirm that I still have the fixes ready to go, so I'll just report what I found to filler for now, and then you can do what thou wilt with it. :)

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #228 on: May 04, 2018, 06:43:41 pm »
I just have to make an usual post now: there's a YouTube channel which I urge everyone to watch, especially because the guy gets barely three-figure views on his videos, which is just awful. :D

While looking at all these early Famicom games in this project, I started playing every game in chronological order. Soon I thought "I could make a YouTube series chronicling all these games". So I searched YouTube, and sure enough, this guy had just started doing exactly that. :) I don't mind, though, since I really like what he does. I recommend subscribing and commenting to encourage him to continue. I'll be recommending our translations when he gets to those games, too! :D

Here's the playlist with all the videos thus far (newest one just came out today):
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLe9-TF3jJqzH0ZTWuU8VkacTOYd265NqX

goldenband

• View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 05, 2018, 09:22:09 am »
^Hey, thank you for bringing that channel to our attention! I keep a list of those kinds of projects (chronogaming, beating every game in a system library, reviewing every game, etc.) but somehow I'd overlooked that one. I've subscribed and will add FamiThon to my master list. :)

goldendark007

• View Profile
    • Team Chris!
« Reply #230 on: May 05, 2018, 02:10:57 pm »
Time for me to chime in with thoughts. :)

I actually made a start on FT5 because I figured the text wouldn't be so much, but after making a table I realised playing Power Pad games without a Power Pad is easier said than done. To put my script into the game would require me to actually play the game, and given the twelve buttons involved, it's hard enough to play it on a keyboard, let alone a joypad. Not sure how anyone else has managed these games before, given the Power Pad difficulties. Any thoughts?

Maybe I'll have a look, see if I can help you out on that one.

I wouldn't mind playing through the games if you need me to. The maps are fairly finite and navigable, so it's just a lot of trial, error, and repetition.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #231 on: May 27, 2018, 01:47:24 pm »
What the hell?! Totally out of left field, Space Hunter has been translated! :o

https://www.romhacking.net/translations/3617/

I had worked on it but stalled due to the text system, but it looks like Zatos and Fyr figured out a compromise. Well, I'm pleased that we've ticked another one off the list, but it would've been nice to know about it... :)

And I'll get around to Zoids soon. :)

Fyr

• View Profile
« Reply #232 on: May 27, 2018, 04:42:43 pm »
Yeah I understand the desire for notifying. I don't consider myself a part of the scene by any stretch of the imagination, so I just asked for help on learning how to hex edit hack from my brother and he obliged. It was more of a tutorial class for me than anything else. It's interesting in that we made the table, and then took a look at the messed up order of the katakana and almost called it quits there. Here's another thank you to Zatos/CapnCrunch for indulging my whimsical look into hacking/translating a rom.

I decided to go through with translating our text dump anyway - and after some thought I found some ways to get around the backwards syntax (relatively speaking of course) that is Japanese. It wasn't easy since a direct translation would have put the order of the sentences into a non-comprehensible arrangement, but I can't say it was terribly difficult either. I think for us it would have been a no-go if we didn't have room to tile edit our own characters in. I think we used up nearly all the room available to us.

The important thing is, this title is available in English for all to enjoy. I see it has surpassed 100 downloads and that makes me a happy camper. I too enjoy checking off boxes.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #233 on: May 27, 2018, 05:27:24 pm »
Don't get me wrong: any progress on this project will be well-received. :) I too looked at the backward syntax and thought "hmm, how shall I handle this?" I'm just glad I don't have to answer that now. :D

So we're just waiting for Seikima II and Time Stranger to finish 1986. No idea what's happening with the former, if anything, but the latter has been left on the back burner by myself. Too many other things - including my new YouTube channel. :)

Fyr

• View Profile
« Reply #234 on: May 29, 2018, 12:56:55 am »
I was looking through your list of Famicom games and Haja no Fuuin stood out to me. Has anyone tried to hack this game? Is it compressed dialogue? Anyway, I fiddled around a bit and remade the intro graphic.

Kept the single katakana in the center that melds with the sword, and turned it into the O in "Of". Also converted "Fantasy / Roleplay" at the top into
Miracle Warriors.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #235 on: May 29, 2018, 03:12:40 am »
Wow, that looks pretty nice! :D Although I do think you're getting a little ahead of yourself as nobody's translated the game yet... ;)

Going through the thread, it seems there's a radically different version in English for the Master System, and Filler had some trouble dumping the script. I guess nobody's got around to it, but if anyone wants to give it a try then I'm sure they'd like to use your title screen. I'd have a go if only I had the time these days. :-\

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: May 29, 2018, 12:57:53 pm »
Wow are there a few things to immediately complain about that game.
We can see our character movement only on a tiny little 3x3 map in the corner of the screen and most of the screen seems to be a mostly static image.

And if I do the math, a possible ONE HUNDRED AND TWENTY CHARACTER password!
That beats out the Famicom Maniac Mansion and I think NBA Give 'n Go for SNES (I think that was the SNES sports game cited for lengthy passwords. Enough that its SFC counterpart used battery backup.)

According to GameFAQs, that game was released October 13, 1987.
Battery backup carts existed by that point.

The passwords are simply hexadecimal characters. Even changing the character set to 32 characters would reduce by half (though even 60 is still a lot)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Fyr

• View Profile
« Reply #237 on: May 29, 2018, 02:39:55 pm »
Yeah that password system sucks. But the tileset in the editor looks pretty. I'm just surprised this rpg hasn't been hacked yet. The one for the SMS was a solid game. I understand this one is inferior though.

cccmar

• View Profile
« Reply #238 on: May 29, 2018, 03:13:23 pm »
I guess it hasn't been hacked yet mostly due to the SMS version being available in English. Also, it looks like the FC version isn't very well regarded in Japan, so perhaps that's another point too. Surprisingly there aren't that many untranslated RPGs and adventure games from that year left, that changes mostly around '89 I think.

Fyr

• View Profile
« Reply #239 on: May 31, 2018, 12:34:12 am »
Filler had some trouble dumping the script

Is there a thread somewhere mentioning this work? A search brings up nothing or anyone working on it. Maybe I'm blind.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 01:36:13 am by Fyr »