I'm back, boys!
Filler released his translation of the Zoids game, so I took it upon myself to put it into the game. Needless to say, I got distracted with other things besides ROM hacking.
But I've sat down today and had a go at getting something started, and here's the result:
If you compare it to the original game, you'll see I've removed the dakuten spaces between lines and moved the text slightly to the left, thus giving me lots of screen space. The text appears slowly because of the system it uses: it only loads letters one at a time, every few frames. It would be trivial for them to load the entire text block at once, but why do that, eh?
Adjusting that could be tricky. Also fiddly is the menu: I had to use 'say' rather than 'talk' and 'dat' rather than 'data' because there's a space for three letters, not four. Of course, I could fix it, but that would take longer. I'll leave it like that for now.
Fortunately, it looks like this uses the same mapper that Sherlock Holmes used, so I think I'll expand the ROM, thus negating the need for any compression. There's not a huge amount of text to put in there, I'll just need to figure out a way of switching to the right bank. With Sherlock I linked to a RAM byte that stored the level number, but I haven't looked into this game enough to figure out what would be appropriate here.
It's early days, but at least this shows a bit of promise.