News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations of early Famicom games  (Read 41430 times)

filler

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • "WINNERS DON'T SELL REPROS"
    • View Profile
    • Filler's Translation Projects
Re: Translations of early Famicom games
« Reply #200 on: March 13, 2018, 10:01:21 pm »
BETA VERSION OF SWAT IS HERE!!

http://s346165667.websitehome.co.uk/psyktrans/swat-beta.xdelta

I'm in a rush, but anyone who wants to check it out, go for it. This is a BETA version, meaning I know it's not finished. I need to test as much dialogue as I can, but it's all in there, and it's fully playable. I'll be properly releasing it once I'm happy with it. Enjoy! :D

Great news! I'm curious to know if the original game is as buggy as the rumors say.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #201 on: March 14, 2018, 05:28:49 pm »
Okay, looks like the early excitement of this thread from last year has died down somewhat... :)

I've fixed a lot of stuff from the beta, such as the ending and the password system, plus one or two amendments to the text. Now it's at a point that I think it's probably good to go. I obviously haven't tested every single line, but given the limited context, I can't see how anything could sound wrong. Besides, even if a few lines sound somewhat odd, I don't think it'll affect the game greatly: what matters is that you can play from start to finish and know exactly what's going on.

I'll get to work on a detailed readme explaining what you do and what I've done, and get that released and added to the database very soon. Another title ticked off the list! :) They're coming thick and fast...

filler

• View Profile
« Reply #202 on: March 14, 2018, 05:43:41 pm »
Love it! I tried the patch last night and it looked great. The text is sloooow though. Definitely takes some patience to play.

Okay, looks like the early excitement of this thread from last year has died down somewhat... :)

It's like everyone is wearing a muzzle. :P or maybe they're  on vacation.

goldenband

• View Profile
« Reply #203 on: March 14, 2018, 09:24:16 pm »
Being swamped with work means that (at least for now) it's tough to find time to actually try any of these games out -- but I'm cheering enthusiastically from the sidelines here. :D

cccmar

• View Profile
    • Nebulous Translations site
« Reply #204 on: March 15, 2018, 03:14:38 am »
I played some of it actually; must've gotten really lucky, because I managed to reach the 4th floor without any issues. :D It's an interesting game in its concept, I gotta say. Also, some of the actions you can take are rather uncommon in FC games... like punching/strangling the enemies to gain information. >:D Either way, nice work guys.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #205 on: March 15, 2018, 05:42:25 am »
Thanks for testing! To make it easier, here's a couple of Game Genie codes:

PEXAPAGT = all enemies have 1 HP, so any hit will kill them (no interrogation, sadly :D )

OZOIKTES = the communicator always takes you to the next level, regardless of enemies remaining

Now a couple of notes about different things.

I know the text is very slow, I actually have tried to fix that. There's a one-byte fix (Game Genie code LEKNEGTA) which makes the text go double speed, but when the text is more than four lines, it bugs out, because it only uses half the available lines as a result.

I'm not sure what would work best, or whether I should just rewrite the whole text routine to do it instantly. That might be worth doing in a separate 'bugfix' patch which can be done over this one, rather than part of the translation. For now, I think I'll just include the Game Genie code in the readme with a disclaimer that it won't look perfect (but will still greatly speed up your playing).

I've changed the names of three of the four team members so they'd fit in five characters (wasn't worth the extra hacking required to use six characters). Apparently it's based on an anime - it was published by Toei Animation, after all - but searching the internet turns up nothing at all. I'd love to see evidence that this exists. It was really cool to watch Time Stranger when I started translating that, but I can't find anything about this. Anyway, if Loto can become Erdrick, then I think Sakata can become Akira. :)

Reading the FAQ on GameFAQs is very interesting, because it suggests that, after a lot of playing, certain options in the game don't actually do anything, such as entering the room with a bomb, and in my testing, the only interrogation that seemed to make a difference was the Truth Serum: everything else gave the same result. I'll do some testing to see if the code is actually built to distinguish between these things, but it may be that the devs implemented these options but didn't actually get around to implementing full functionality.

cccmar

• View Profile
« Reply #206 on: March 15, 2018, 01:48:12 pm »
Thanks, managed to beat it legit somehow; the final floor is a pain, your accuracy seems to be really low there, but oh well. :D Had 2 crashes, but thankfully I was using savestates after each floor. I think I lucked out, because it seems - according to the guide - that this normally happens much more often. Well, either way, it's a fairly short game, actually. It does look like it's unfinished, with some of the features missing (like the smoke grenades etc.) Not the worst game ever, but definitely should have stayed in the oven for a few additional months. I'm honestly more curious about that Zoids RPG game, also from '87; I remember the days of that brand being more recognizable, maybe that's why. :D

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #207 on: March 15, 2018, 04:21:47 pm »
I'm honestly more curious about that Zoids RPG game, also from '87; I remember the days of that brand being more recognizable, maybe that's why. :D

Me too! :) I'm also pretty curious about it, and I think Filler was working on that, as far as I know (I could be wrong). Don't remember if someone was already hacking the script into the game, but after making short work of the last two projects, I feel like I'm on a roll of sorts. :D I've become so familiar with the NES on this project: if we can get enough translators to do the donkey work on these kana-only scripts, with me hacking them into the games, we'll have the list complete in no time at all. :laugh:

cccmar

• View Profile
« Reply #208 on: March 16, 2018, 06:38:39 am »
Well, if you pick that one up, I can help with the testing as well; I assume the game won't be too long, considering that it's still '87, and it's not actually turn-based. :) A few of the bigger games have already been translated from that year, my guess is that the adventure games are going to be the most pain, after all... but that's another thing. Better take 'em one at a time. :laugh:

Ziko

• View Profile
« Reply #209 on: March 16, 2018, 05:47:59 pm »
How many more of these games do you plan on translating? Can you define early Famicom games in terms of what year?

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #210 on: March 16, 2018, 07:07:47 pm »
How many more of these games do you plan on translating? Can you define early Famicom games in terms of what year?

Check out the list in the opening post: it will hopefully answer both your questions. :)

I understand that Filler's actually done Zoids, and he finished Kyonshiizu 2 ages ago, but I don't think anyone took that one up. Guess it'll be up to me. :) I've just been having a look and I think I can figure out how to squeeze enough text on the screen. Whether I can squeeze it into the ROM is another matter. The text system is a bit odd, and it uses a relatively uncommon mapper.

Zoids, on the other hand, doesn't seem to have a lot of text - surprising, given that it looks like an RPG. I guess it's not as much of an RPG as it seems. I think Kyonshiizu 2 will be more of a challenge than Zoids, so I'd probably like to tackle the latter first.

filler

• View Profile
« Reply #211 on: March 16, 2018, 08:47:45 pm »
Zoids, on the other hand, doesn't seem to have a lot of text - surprising, given that it looks like an RPG. I guess it's not as much of an RPG as it seems.

It's no Final Fantasy that's for sure. :) It's charming in its own right though. Kind of a Dragon Quest parody with Zoids. It doesn't seem too in-depth, but it was fun to translate, and seems fun enough for what was probably a cheap game.

EDIT: Congrats on the SWAT release BTW!

cccmar

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: March 17, 2018, 02:38:04 am »
Zoids isn't a turn-based RPG from what I've seen in the videos; it has a rather unique system for the time where you battle enemies in first-person, but by shooting them. I don't know if any other RPG on the Famicom did that, maybe Artelius, but I'm not so sure... well, either way, that's it. The sequel has that style of gameplay too, but this time around you control the pilots, not Zoids themselves I believe... There was also Outlanders from that same year. We looked at it, but got kinda bogged down with our own projects for now, so we didn't claim it either. :)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 05:51:34 am by cccmar »

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #213 on: March 18, 2018, 07:45:00 pm »
Hey Filler, you got namechecked on Did You Know Gaming's video about Battle Golfer Yui. :)

Anywho, little update from me. I've given Kyonshiizu 2 and Zoids a look, and I think I could give them a go. Zoids really shouldn't be too much of an issue since it has a nice big window with a simple text system, plus there isn't really a lot of text. Kyonshiizu 2 is a different kettle of fish, however: the main problem is the text window while walking around. It's very small, and getting it to look good and big will be a challenge. Furthermore, the text when you go in buildings is very limited, too. Add in an unfamiliar mapper and on the whole it'll be a bit of a task to get things going.

For now I'm finishing up a PC-98 translation before I try these games, but unless anyone else is trying Zoids then I wouldn't mind having a look.

filler

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: March 19, 2018, 12:21:49 am »
Hey Filler, you got namechecked on Did You Know Gaming's video about Battle Golfer Yui. :)

I was nervous when I first read this, but they said all nice things. :) Between the video and the comments I even learned more about the references in the game than I knew to start with. I wish more fan translations got this kind of treatment via well researched YouTube videos. I tend to find blog posts about fan translations more than YouTube videos. Not sure why. I'd like to see it catch on a bit more.

For now I'm finishing up a PC-98 translation before I try these games, but unless anyone else is trying Zoids then I wouldn't mind having a look.

That would be great! Good luck with Steam Hearts.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 02:54:25 am by filler »

cccmar

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: March 19, 2018, 06:17:06 am »
Zoids really shouldn't be too much of an issue since it has a nice big window with a simple text system, plus there isn't really a lot of text.

I checked the script out of curiosity and it's rather short for an RPG, no doubt about it; I noticed a couple of tiny typos, too. If you want, I can fix 'em up and send you the improved script later, or just tell you what needs fixing right off the bat. I won't be doing anything past the typos anyway, until I play through it and see things in context that is. Either way, there aren't many of them. :)

I was nervous when I first read this, but they said all nice things. :) Between the video and the comments I even learned more about the references in the game than I knew to start with. I wish more fan translations got this kind of treatment via well researched YouTube videos. I tend to find blog posts about fan translations more than YouTube videos. Not sure why. I'd like to see it catch on a bit more.

Congrats, it's actually quite an interesting video. And you're right about the blogs - there are even blogs dedicated to playing through all the FC/SFC RPG games, but it's harder to find videos on that topic, by and large.

mikeprado30

• View Profile
« Reply #216 on: March 19, 2018, 02:27:59 pm »

Well, you can count me in that list  :) :happy:

filler

• View Profile
« Reply #217 on: March 25, 2018, 10:27:00 pm »
I'm taking a cue from Pluvius' previous post and sharing my work after looking at a chunk of the remaining games from 1987.

Artelius: I made a couple table files. The only thing I'm not sure about is how big the dictionary is, which will determine whether or not I need help dumping the script.

Family Mahjong: Haven't looked at it.

Family Trainer - Meiro Daisakusen: Made a table file and dumped script. Best I can tell there's only a few K of text. Just a tiny intro, with some other text (probably an ending), and some location names.

Haja no Fuuin: Didn't have much luck with this yet. Probably need someone else to dump the script.

Hokkaidou Rensa Satsujin - Ohotsuku ni Kiyu: I made a table file. It may need adjusting. This does something weird with diacritical marks. I probably need help dumping this with diacritical marks if possible.

Ide Yousuke Meijin no Jissen Mahjong: Haven't looked at it.

Karaoke Studio: Haven't looked at it.

Karaoke Studio Senyou Cassette Vol 1: Haven't looked at it.

Law of the West: Made a table file and dumped the script. Script is available for translation. About 80K of text.

Mito Koumon: Someone else probably needs to dump this script.

Morita Kazuo no Shougi: Haven't looked at it.

Sanma no Mei Tantei: EDIT: I made a table file and checked it in-game. Dumped script.  Script is available for translation. About 75K of text.

Tsuppari Oozumou: Looks like this might be more of a graphics editing thing. Haven't looked at it much.

Yamamura Misa Suspense - Kyouto Ryuu no Tera Satsujin: Table file is checked and script is dumped. The only thing I'm not sure about is the values 01, 02, and 03 as they relate to items in the game. May not be significant for translation purposes. Not sure. Otherwise the script is ready to be translated, and available for translation. About 100K main script.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 11:28:30 pm by filler »

goldendark007

• View Profile
    • Team Chris!
« Reply #218 on: March 27, 2018, 11:20:38 am »
I'm taking a cue from Pluvius' previous post and sharing my work after looking at a chunk of the remaining games from 1987.

Artelius: I made a couple table files. The only thing I'm not sure about is how big the dictionary is, which will determine whether or not I need help dumping the script.

Family Mahjong: Haven't looked at it.

Family Trainer - Meiro Daisakusen: Made a table file and dumped script. Best I can tell there's only a few K of text. Just a tiny intro, with some other text (probably an ending), and some location names.

Haja no Fuuin: Didn't have much luck with this yet. Probably need someone else to dump the script.

Hokkaidou Rensa Satsujin - Ohotsuku ni Kiyu: I made a table file. It may need adjusting. This does something weird with diacritical marks. I probably need help dumping this with diacritical marks if possible.

Ide Yousuke Meijin no Jissen Mahjong: Haven't looked at it.

Law of the West: Made a table file and dumped the script. Script is available for translation. About 80K of text.

Morita Kazuo no Shougi: Haven't looked at it.

Sanma no Mei Tantei: EDIT: I made a table file and checked it in-game. Dumped script.  Script is available for translation. About 75K of text.

Tsuppari Oozumou: Looks like this might be more of a graphics editing thing. Haven't looked at it much.

Yamamura Misa Suspense - Kyouto Ryuu no Tera Satsujin: Table file is checked and script is dumped. The only thing I'm not sure about is the values 01, 02, and 03 as they relate to items in the game. May not be significant for translation purposes. Not sure. Otherwise the script is ready to be translated, and available for translation. About 100K main script.

I was going to work on the remaining Family Trainer games at some point (I just recently got into table editing and text replacement so it would've been a long haul anyway) but hearing your working on #5 is awesome!

Is anybody doing anything with FT 9 and 10?

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #219 on: March 27, 2018, 03:48:53 pm »
Time for me to chime in with thoughts. :)

I was going to work on the remaining Family Trainer games at some point (I just recently got into table editing and text replacement so it would've been a long haul anyway) but hearing your working on #5 is awesome!

I actually made a start on FT5 because I figured the text wouldn't be so much, but after making a table I realised playing Power Pad games without a Power Pad is easier said than done. To put my script into the game would require me to actually play the game, and given the twelve buttons involved, it's hard enough to play it on a keyboard, let alone a joypad. Not sure how anyone else has managed these games before, given the Power Pad difficulties. Any thoughts?

Maybe I'll have a look, see if I can help you out on that one.

Forget about those: I'm of the opinion that a translation is essentially pointless, since you're singing along to Japanese songs, which wouldn't make sense to translate. Furthermore, to play properly, you'll need to track down a Bandai Karaoke Studio set with a microphone and all, and frankly, if you've gone to the trouble of getting that, you're probably the type who really doesn't need it translating anyway. :D

Observe:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HB83fGXTivU

Be aware that this comes from the same source as that Mississippi game - it's a Western home computer game, so it may be possible to take that text and use it here.

Um, okay, maybe I'll look at this too. :D

I'm on a bit of downtime at the mo, but hopefully I'll get a chance to look at a few things soon enough.