News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Super Mario Land 2 DX [Updated to v1.7]  (Read 103429 times)

toruzz

• View Profile
Re: Super Mario Land 2 DX [Updated to v1.7]
« Reply #480 on: May 15, 2018, 10:42:40 am »
I just wanted to share the box I made for this hack :)
https://photos.app.goo.gl/eQrFkd4pjbFDi4gV2

Thanks a bunch for the most impressive GB hack to this date, toruzz. Looking forward to FTFTBT  :thumbsup:
That's awesome, thank you  :thumbsup:

Does that mean that the ROM with the classic items and the feather fire Mario is cancelled?  :-\
Nope, I'll release that eventually.

Geoshi

• View Profile
« Reply #481 on: May 15, 2018, 06:48:27 pm »
Oh I can't wait for the Classic 1up Hearts and the Feather Fire Form.

Psycho Fox

• View Profile
« Reply #482 on: May 16, 2018, 08:38:25 am »
I just wanted to say thanks again for this hack.  It's really refreshed the whole game for me.  It's just so nicely polished.

I know you're working on your other project just now but I was wondering if you'd ever considered giving Kirby's Dream Land the same treatment?  There are so few Kirby hacks and the original game has never seen a full remake.  Just a thought. :)

Regardless, I can't wait to see your next release. :)

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #483 on: May 16, 2018, 11:18:01 am »
I just wanted to say thanks again for this hack.  It's really refreshed the whole game for me.  It's just so nicely polished.

I know you're working on your other project just now but I was wondering if you'd ever considered giving Kirby's Dream Land the same treatment?  There are so few Kirby hacks and the original game has never seen a full remake.  Just a thought. :)

Regardless, I can't wait to see your next release. :)
Kirby's Dream Land did see a remake, although not highly known because it's included within ANOTHER remake :P
Kirby Super Star did have a Remake of sorts of the first Dream Land, although not complete due to the lack of the Kabula boss and its stage.

However, Kirby Super Star Ultra (the remake of Super Star for the DS) DID have the entirety of Kirby's Dream Land remade inside the Spring Breeze game.
So if someone is willing to do a DX version of Kirby's Dream Land 1, I would suggest using Kirby Super Star Ultra's Spring Breeze game as the base for the colours of it :)

Shade Aurion

• Shadow Keeper
    • View Profile
    • DudeGoBack
« Reply #484 on: May 16, 2018, 11:35:03 am »
Kirby's Dream Land did see a remake, although not highly known because it's included within ANOTHER remake :P
Kirby Super Star did have a Remake of sorts of the first Dream Land, although not complete due to the lack of the Kabula boss and its stage.

However, Kirby Super Star Ultra (the remake of Super Star for the DS) DID have the entirety of Kirby's Dream Land remade inside the Spring Breeze game.
So if someone is willing to do a DX version of Kirby's Dream Land 1, I would suggest using Kirby Super Star Ultra's Spring Breeze game as the base for the colours of it :)

I actually suggested Kirby's Dreamland 1 in the suggestion thread awhile back but thinking on it, maybe even higher priority should go to Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land 1 as Wario Land 2, 3 and 4 are all in color and Super Mario Land 1 and 2 are now in color making 3 a mid series uncolored outlier. Still, Kirby is really short so that'd be a good little project.

Even with minimum color tweaking KDL1 looks fairly decent - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjYQocKRIx8&list=PLVFlHPy0Pa9t7Igb90zXsZg4YCIf1y8XP
I'd do it myself if I had a clue about color hacking.

Either way, i'd say Toruzz probably has a full plate between SML2 and For Frog the Bell Tolls

NES Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #485 on: May 16, 2018, 01:17:22 pm »
Well, Spikeman was working on a colorization of Kirby's Dream Land:

This was back in 2013, however. In fact, his last post on the forums was on September 30, 2013, and his last activity here was on January 17, 2016.

Shade Aurion

• Shadow Keeper
    • View Profile
    • DudeGoBack
« Reply #486 on: May 16, 2018, 05:49:59 pm »
A shame, because that looks pretty great :(

swiftone

• View Profile
    • FeastofBeast
« Reply #487 on: May 22, 2018, 11:37:36 am »
...maybe even higher priority should go to Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land 1 as Wario Land 2, 3 and 4 are all in color and Super Mario Land 1 and 2 are now in color making 3 a mid series uncolored outlier. Still, Kirby is really short so that'd be a good little project...

This was such a fantastic hack, and I'd second the same royal treatment to Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land 1 some day.  Always struck me as strange that Nintendo never reissued it as a dx game after the rest of the Wario Land went color.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #488 on: May 22, 2018, 11:47:52 am »
This might be slightly out of topic, but I was wondering...
About the Super Mario Land Colour hack available here, would you be interested in colouring the title screen for said hack, toruzz?

It always struck me that the title screen is still in black/white, while the rest of the game is colourized.

A coloured title screen would make the package complete to my eyes. xD
Perhaps something like this:

Or if we get fancy:

There's a forum full of mockups for that one just in case someone wants some eye candy:
https://www.emudesc.com/threads/asi-se-veria-super-mario-land-si-hubiera-salido-para-nes.550499/

Geoshi

• View Profile
« Reply #489 on: May 22, 2018, 02:11:28 pm »
I had ideas for a Super Mario Land DX and making it completely colored even with the title of course.
I would make it someday but if Toruzz does it then I can save my time from making it someday.

It would of included...

-Green 1UP Mushrooms instead 1-UP Hearts (but an alt patch can include it)

-Playable Luigi but he would share his sprites with Mario but be green instead of red, but the Mario text will change to Luigi. He would play the same due to the psychics like in Super Mario Bros. DX.

-Restore the unused shooting animation when you get the Superball Flower. Strange they never used it...

In the mock-up screens I saw there was a fire form but since the Superball form is a different power up and it's artwork shows it being just normal Mario. I would've kept it that day.

Shade Aurion

• Shadow Keeper
    • View Profile
    • DudeGoBack
« Reply #490 on: May 22, 2018, 05:10:59 pm »
About the Super Mario Land Colour hack available here, would you be interested in colouring the title screen for said hack, toruzz?

It always struck me that the title screen is still in black/white, while the rest of the game is colourized.

Or if we get fancy:

There's a forum full of mockups for that one just in case someone wants some eye candy:
https://www.emudesc.com/threads/asi-se-veria-super-mario-land-si-hubiera-salido-para-nes.550499/

Between Kirby's Dreamland 1 and Super Mario Land 1, that would be a great little double venture for any romhacker. Both games are relatively short. Jeez I think you could finish both in 40 mins or so. I did actually cover that Super Mario Land hack on DudeGoBack awhile ago and while for the most part it's decent, there were a few bugs. It did strike me as odd that it had a monochromatic title screen though I just assumed it was a nod to the original. Even still, at least the text and Mario himself should be colorized.

toruzz

• View Profile
« Reply #491 on: May 22, 2018, 07:25:43 pm »
Please keep your expectations in check, guys. As Shade Aurion said I have a full plate at the moment and it's going to take a while to finish For the Frog the Bell Tolls. We'll see after that.

Or if we get fancy:

Hmm... To be honest, I think this hack needs more work than just the title screen, so ultimately I would rather remake the whole thing.

And since we are looking at SML1 mockups, this is one I made some time ago:

Geoshi

• View Profile
« Reply #492 on: May 23, 2018, 12:53:47 am »
Great Mock Up! Though realistically the SMB Color Scheme wouldn't be necessary since Mario has his modern colors in both the artwork and boxart and the way the shades look like they are more closely like Mario's modern color scheme. I also included different shades you could choose in the future along with the unused shooting aniamtion found in the ROMs files and an actual 1UP Mushroom, I know you are a very busy guy with For the Frog the Bell Tolls DX and the final version of SML2 DX.

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: May 23, 2018, 10:17:43 am »
And since we are looking at SML1 mockups, this is one I made some time ago:

That looks pretty cool.

I found this on deviantART, maybe this will help you on the other sprites if you make this hack in the near future:

Asaki

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: June 01, 2018, 12:24:51 am »
Have the dev docs been released for this yet?

w1ck3d

• View Profile
« Reply #495 on: June 02, 2018, 02:54:27 pm »

Don't forget the lava colored water... just sayin'. :beer:

Eggplantus

• View Profile
« Reply #496 on: June 02, 2018, 11:03:02 pm »
Don't forget the lava colored water... just sayin'. :beer:
And Daisy's red dress.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: June 03, 2018, 05:11:30 pm »
I use the $FF47 register to detect if the hardware is GB/SGB or GBC (which admittedly isn't the best way), and apparently Goomba Color doesn't emulate it properly. But honestly, I don't think it's worth making up for this on the hack.
I thought the proper/official way to detect hardware version was to insert code at startup that checks A first thing and save the flag to RAM (as the boot ROM would disable itself by writing to $FF50 using different values on different boot ROM for that purpose).
Sir Howard Stringer, chief executive of Sony, on Christmas sales of the PS3:
"It's a little fortuitous that the Wii is running out of hardware."

toruzz

• View Profile
« Reply #498 on: June 03, 2018, 05:32:18 pm »
I thought the proper/official way to detect hardware version was to insert code at startup that checks A first thing and save the flag to RAM (as the boot ROM would disable itself by writing to $FF50 using different values on different boot ROM for that purpose).
Yep, this is indeed the proper way. I haven't changed it out of laziness to be honest.

Geoshi

• View Profile
« Reply #499 on: June 03, 2018, 10:53:36 pm »
And Daisy's red dress.
Um Daisy always had her dress yellow and white in the GameBoy era? Why red?