News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Swapping Audio Sample in a ROM (NBA Jam TE)  (Read 2036 times)

eskayelle

• NBA Jam 2KTE / TMNT of Rage / Pong de las TMNT Dev
    • View Profile
Swapping Audio Sample in a ROM (NBA Jam TE)
« on: May 22, 2017, 09:49:12 am »
Hello. I've been reading through some great info in these message boards and working on a personal hack of NBA Jam TE for SNES.  I'd like to swap out some of the audio samples Tim the announcer says during the game.  Best example: When a shot is blocked, I'd like to swap out the announcer's audio sample and replace it with the one from NBA Jam XXX ("Get that s**t outta here!").  I'm not sure where exactly in the ROMs I should be looking to find the samples or what tools I might need to extract/inject them (extreme n00b here).  Any help you guys can provide would be much appreciated.

FCandChill

• View Profile
Re: Swapping Audio Sample in a ROM (NBA Jam TE)
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 11:44:05 am »
I recall some utility out there that extracts SNES samples ... it has a random message out Lisa from the Simpsons and vampires ... strange how my memory works...

You can do simple compare and contrast between the prototype and final release ... I recall little changes. Perhaps you can find where the lines are?

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 11:52:01 am »
I think that utility would be SPC Tool.
http://snesmusic.org/files/readme.html

As always, trying to replace a segment of data with a larger segment is not especially feasible.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

eskayelle

• NBA Jam 2KTE / TMNT of Rage / Pong de las TMNT Dev
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 08:44:34 am »
Thanks for your thoughts so far, guys!  My goal is to only do some swapping if the audio samples are equal to (or less than) the swapped audio is size, as I'm way too much of a novice to try to figure out how to add space to the ROM and be able to utilize that space for larger/more samples.  Really, I just want to take one or two sound bytes and - if I get brave - maybe take the end of quarter music from the original game.

Unfortunately, DosBox doesn't work with SPC Tool (the readme specifically notes it, and I made a test attempt just to verify), and my instance of Windows doesn't seem to be able to find a compatibility mode that will open the application (trying each compatibility mode, it doesn't open a window long enough for me to force to full screen and be able to start the application).  Would you guys happen to have any recommendations on Windows-based SPC rippers/injectors that might do the trick?

Since I don't have a tool to do the work just yet, I'm running through the Web looking for background information to get a better understanding of how swapping audio files works.  At a very basic level, am I effectively looking for BRR files in the ROM and using an SPC-centric tool to rip those files from ROM "A" and inject them into ROM "B"?

I wasn't quite sure what to do with the hex comparison, admittedly.  NBA Jam XXX is a derivative of the original NBA Jam ROM, so I was able to compare those two ROMs and am assuming most of the changes are the sound bytes.  But... the ROM I'm trying to hack is the NBA Jam TE one, so I wasn't quite sure what to do with the comparison info, since the sound bytes in the TE ROM won't necessarily be the same or in the same (maybe similar?) location in that TE ROM.  Wondering your thoughts on the above.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 10:34:33 pm »
I tried the version from https://www.smwcentral.net/?p=section&a=details&id=4600 in Windows 7x64 just now, and it seems to be working just fine.  (Well, except that I can't seem to get anything out of the handful of SNES ROMs I have lying around.)

The ancient version from http://www.alpha-ii.com/Download/MainOld.html also runs in DOSBox.  (The readme refers to "a DOS Box", but "DOSBox" itself was not a thing back then.)

Would you guys happen to have any recommendations on Windows-based SPC rippers/injectors that might do the trick?
In this case you would be looking for a "BRR" ripper/injector.

At a very basic level, am I effectively looking for BRR files in the ROM and using an SPC-centric tool to rip those files from ROM "A" and inject them into ROM "B"?
There's nothing "SPC-centric" about it – BRR data is BRR data.  (Also, there's technically no such thing as a "file" within an SNES ROM.)

I wasn't quite sure what to do with the hex comparison, admittedly.  NBA Jam XXX is a derivative of the original NBA Jam ROM, so I was able to compare those two ROMs and am assuming most of the changes are the sound bytes.  But... the ROM I'm trying to hack is the NBA Jam TE one, so I wasn't quite sure what to do with the comparison info, since the sound bytes in the TE ROM won't necessarily be the same or in the same (maybe similar?) location in that TE ROM.  Wondering your thoughts on the above.
That seems like a lost cause.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 10:39:49 pm by Jorpho »
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!