News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Project SNES FF V With Official Squareenix Translation GBA  (Read 1446 times)

AwesomeHairo

• View Profile
I Googled and Googled but no one seemed to have any interest (that I know of) to apply FF V's official translation from the GBA version with upgraded Magic and Monster names and put it for the SNES. That's weird to me because V is the only one with this issue as IV and VI has been redone (thanks Rodimus Prime).

I'm a noob of noob but this is my favorite FF and I think for those that want to play the official GBA translation with proper color, sound and namings, I'm willing to learn, be mentored and get this project started and/or done.

I just need to know what software to use and what emulator. I'll try to find a script from the GBA game.

I'm not planning to change any sprites and obviously no need to uncensor anything. Square soft did a marvelous job of making this game mostly bug free, so no need for that.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Bregalad

• View Profile
Re: Project SNES FF V With Official Squareenix Translation GBA
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 06:15:36 am »
I fear that there would be legal issues to "porting" a translation like that.

Square soft did a marvelous job of making this game mostly bug free, so no need for that.
I didn't look into it but I'd be surprised if any version of FF5 is completely free of glitches.

AwesomeHairo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 02:13:39 pm »
I fear that there would be legal issues to "porting" a translation like that.
I didn't look into it but I'd be surprised if any version of FF5 is completely free of glitches.

Mind when I said mostly

And if that's the case, I'll do it as legal as possible by just referencing the GBA port and not just copy and pasting.

Currently learning the basics of rom hacking now.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 05:03:35 pm »
Usually how these are handled is that lines from GBA are used to enhance the original script (Ted Woolsey Uncensored is a good example here), not taken wholesale.  The reason for this is because usually there are parts where it isn't perfect, and there are limits between consoles.  It's smart to do research and see where the important things differ.

As far as FFV glitches, it isn't as bad as VI by any stretch.  But SSlap/Mineuchi wasn't fixed until Mobile.  Here's a good list, the wiki also has other important info: http://slickproductions.org/slickwiki/index.php/FF5_Bugs_and_Glitches