News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: What is the policy on releasing fully disassembled assembly for games on here?  (Read 1619 times)

slidelljohn

• View Profile
I have the full disassembled assembly for snes gradius 3 that I would like to release. Is this something that I can upload to romhacking.net without breaking any romhacking.net rules?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 07:28:49 pm by slidelljohn »

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
Yes, these are examples, they are listed under docs. http://www.romhacking.net/documents/

slidelljohn

• View Profile
Thanks nesrocks!

I am familiar with the document section. Maybe I should rephrase my question. Is there anywhere that says what data inside a rom file that we can and can not upload to romhacking.net? If we can upload complete disassembled assembly for roms can we upload complete music, or complete graphics, or the data that builds backgrounds and sprites. I have a crazy amount of stuff that I have documented over the years that I would like to release but I was always under the impression that I need to write a program that rips all of this stuff out of it in order to share it with everyone. Can any of the staff shed some light on this matter for me?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 07:43:32 am by slidelljohn »

#

• View Profile
There are hacks on this site which contain full games, so I don't see how this would be an issue.

slidelljohn

• View Profile
Full games? That can’t be right. Nobody can upload full games unless they made the game themselves. Maybe you’re thinking patches not full games.

#

• View Profile
Full games? That can’t be right. Nobody can upload full games unless they made the game themselves. Maybe you’re thinking patches not full games.
They're including full games inside of a patch of a different game, like the All-Stars hack for Super Mario Bros. 3.

slidelljohn

• View Profile
Interesting, I guess some rules “can be bent and others can be broken”. I’m not really looking to bend or break any rules.
Maybe that patch slipped through, idk. :huh:

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
FWIW, there are a few disassemblies hosted here that are complete to the point where you can actually recreate the original ROM merely by assembling them.  As far as I know, this has never been an issue.

slidelljohn

• View Profile
Thanks everyone! I’ll submit some stuff this weekend starting with complete gradius 3 asm and I might also submit some of my mega man x v1.1 files. :thumbsup: