News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: My take on Castlevania 3 (CV3 for people who wanted to like CV3 but don't)  (Read 14300 times)

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
@Sinis Wow that is a lot of information! Our wiki is too dead, it doesn't even have an entry for the japanese version of the game : /

@tvtoon: Thanks! But isn't the x68k version also super slow? Makes me want to hack it too, but enough castlevania for me  ;D

@DavidtheIdeaMan: I think it depends on the wording. I need to make it clear that this is a gameplay hack for people who don't quite like the game, otherwise fans will be frustrated by the changes to the gameplay of castlevania that they love.

DavidtheIdeaMan

• View Profile
That's true

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
I'm done with the changes now. Looking for people to beta test it before releasing. Send me an e-mail to nesrocks at gmail with the topic beta testing akumajou and I'll send you a patch.

New:
I chose a new sfx for the morphing. It is just like the original one, but it matches the length of the animation now.
Removed the "no death by timer" and the "no timer warning sound" modifications as those really didn't fit the purpose of the hack.
Readded the door animation, but reduced the delay where trevor just waits for a while and nothing happens. The scrolling speed still is 4x.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 03:58:58 pm by nesrocks »

DavidtheIdeaMan

• View Profile
So basically everything is going to be crazy fast in the game?

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
I didn't speed up the enemies, as that would make the game incredibly hard. I did try to balance damage because boss fights were too easy with the sped up attack.

DavidtheIdeaMan

• View Profile
Hmmmm I see,interesting,but still Im gonna pass this romhack,hopefully one day someone will take interest in my ideas.

Anyways good luck with the project.  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 05:15:02 pm by DavidtheIdeaMan »

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
Faster-paced Castlevania 3 sounds like a pretty sweet idea to me. Will definitely be  giving it a try when it's released.  :thumbsup:

As for the character switch up, you could always turn the main character into Julius Belmont from Aria of Sorrow.  He's roughly twice as fast as the normal playable character in that game.

Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

Vanya

• View Profile
As a near life long fan of Castlevania, I can't say as this idea interests me much.
It really isn't the same experience anymore at this speed, or even comparable.
But if others enjoy it then more power to them.

Nesrocks. You are correct, the X68k game is just as slow as CV1 and Super Castlevania which it is based on.

PachaWillWatchYa

• View Profile
The thing is that I haven't expressed myself right.
I meant to say that only things that I hated in the original Cv3 are the ones I mentioned(doors and changing characters).
In your video they are great.
I'm honestly used to the pace of everything in original game and I like it because you have to think tacticaly.
Honestly, the unability to change the way in which you jump and attack delay are honestly the reason why I prefer the 3 NES games over most of later games.

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
@Vanya & PachaWillWatchYa Yeah, I get that. I have a close friend who has also been a huge fan of the series since cv1, and any time I mention hacking castlevania he thinks I'm talking about drawing mustaches on the monalisa  :laugh:
It is just that to me the games have so many qualities, but in the end their length and pace make me not want to play them. Maybe next I make an abridged version keeping the gameplay intact but removing some levels and speeding up cutscenes, etc.
One great thing about this hack though is that I got to know more about the game. Now replaying the original one won't seem like such a daunting task anymore, since I got to know more about all levels, bosses, routes, game rules (like, what weapons and upgrades each character can have), etc.
But in this hack you still need to plan the jumps, at least that is still here.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 10:01:56 am by nesrocks »

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Akumajou Mojo.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Deathofreligion

• View Profile
I am just curious as to why everyone needs everything sped up or slowed down

Morinis

• Cupcakes and Pizza
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube

Something different :)
ROM Hacker, Reviewer and Critic.

Don't Know What Else To Say So... <3 You!

Vanya

• View Profile
^ Good answer!

What I always wanted was a really well mapped out understanding of how the level data works so I could freely redesign all the stages without the hard-coded limitations.
As far as the speed up, I would love to have a the door and character change as stand alone patches.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile

I'm really glad someone increased the walking speed in the Gameboy Castlevanias. Sonia and Christopher move like they're walking in quicksand.
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...

Vanya

• View Profile
Yeah, those needed it big-time.
That's a case of bringing something up to speed with it's siblings.

Zynk

• WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
Re: My take on Castlevania 3
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2017, 04:30:55 am »
I'd rather see Sonia. :)
A rather off-topic question, just curious but is it possible to change the player's damage sound (the "urgh" sound lol) to make it more womanly?

Bregalad

• View Profile
Re: My take on Castlevania 3
« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2017, 06:12:41 am »
A rather off-topic question, just curious but is it possible to change the player's damage sound (the "urgh" sound lol) to make it more womanly?
The game already does this when you play as Sypha. (I guess it just plays the same sample at a higher freq - this should be verified).

I'm really glad someone increased the walking speed in the Gameboy Castlevanias. Sonia and Christopher move like they're walking in quicksand.
Yes - and that's because of the original Game Boy's LCD persistence, only slow scrolling could be made - a fast scrolling would result in a huge mess showing on the screen.

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
It is trivial to change any sfx in the game to existing ones, so yeah, it is just a single byte that needs to be changed to make trevor sound like a sypha.

@Vanya I already have something like that prepared. Is this too much?
1- way faster faster morph
2- way faster doors
3- way faster flooding cutscene
4- way faster dialogue
5- faster moving boss spirit (the one that goes in the coffins)
6- restart on the same sub section when dying (but restart the whole level as usual on continues)
7- new sfx for time and heart tally

I feel like you'd hate the last three, but sure 3 and 4 are ok, right?

edit: okay, I could provide a lot of patches and recommend using the floating patcher: https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/1040/
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 10:17:19 am by nesrocks »

cospefogo

• "Take this silver dagger to save your neck."
    • View Profile
    • Fliperamas
Hej NesRocks!

Great job!
I really do appreciate your efforts but this hack is not for me...
The game is too fast. It is faster than Ninja Gaiden (at least it seems).

Castlevania III (in its original form) is my favorite game of all time, so, a great nostalgia feeling gets mixed in the soup here preventing me to enjoy this Speedy Gonzales' version.

Like someone told in the topic — In the original version you really need to play on strategical fashion. Think, and think a lot before jump or before attack enemies.

If I had the time, I would love to work a just-graphic hack changing all theme of the game from Castlevania to Ninja Gaiden universe. It could be a HIT!

Anyway, best luck on the project!
Cospefogo.
"Replicants are like any other machine - they're either a benefit or a hazard.
If they're a benefit, it's not my problem."