News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: My take on Castlevania 3 (CV3 for people who wanted to like CV3 but don't)  (Read 13645 times)

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
You still need to plan the jumps a lot on this version, but I get it that it is very different. That was the intention afterall, as I don't quite like the original, and I'm sure a lot of people don't like it either (come on, not EVERYONE can like something, right?)  ;D

@Zynk The list of sfx that plays when the characters are hit are on 0x3828F. They are 1 byte long and the first one is trevor. Change it to 77 for the sypha "ugh" sfx, or to any other number you want. Some values will play a song, replacing the current one. I think this effect is never used in the game, but you can change the song virtually at any moment in the game, especially easily if it already has a sfx that plays.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 11:19:43 am by nesrocks »

PachaWillWatchYa

• View Profile
About the patch that's aimed at purists, I honestly would like the difficulty to stay intact, so I honestly don't want the last sub section thingy.
But what you could do though, is add a checkpoint in last room before final boss, since there is lots of people who used to complain about that.

cospefogo

• "Take this silver dagger to save your neck."
    • View Profile
    • Fliperamas
About the patch that's aimed at purists, I honestly would like the difficulty to stay intact, so I honestly don't want the last sub section thingy.
But what you could do though, is add a checkpoint in last room before final boss, since there is lots of people who used to complain about that.

I already gave it up on my previous thoughts and requested the patch to try it...
Let's see what happens!

Cheers, guys!
"Replicants are like any other machine - they're either a benefit or a hazard.
If they're a benefit, it's not my problem."

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
Grant's movement was faster than the other characters, but it wasn't 3 pixels per second as I thought. It was 2,2,2,3,2,2,2,3 and so on. This was causing bugs with some items/enemies as it was too fast for the item handler engine to process correctly. So I went to debug it and I'm glad I did, because based on grant's movement now I think I'm managing to reduce everybody's speed a bit. I'll finish the edits and start testing, but I'm aiming for 150% of original speed instead of the 200% of the video.

edit: a bit of information maybe people haven't noticed: When grant is walking on a moving plataform he moves at 1 pixel per second, the same speed as everyone else.

edit2: after testing I've confirmed that grant's movement causes bugs even on the original game. At least on one spot, that is here:

The platform didn't load because he moved too fast a few steps earlier.
His original speed is 125% of original trevor's and the bug occurs even more often on my new 150% and 200% speeds. I don't know if I should try to reprogram it or change the levels. This is really bad.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 02:16:09 pm by nesrocks »

Deathofreligion

• View Profile
Still do not care about speed. It is nothing new at all, and or different.

bogaabogaa

• View Profile
I think this should be a short hack. And writing assembly to get some mechanics back that are already there in the original game is not worth it.. I wold but some platforms there. How is it with the up and down moving platforms? They are more common and impotent to keep some level layouts proper. I did just see you are hacking Akumaj┼Ź Densetsu III! Great work so far. All the other hacking and reVamp is done for CV3. Did you do that by purpose? Sure the japan ROM is more enjoyable and forgiving. It is the better choice. But it may not help other hacker that mach. Now I feel sorry that I asked about the Hex Table to manipulate speeds  :-[
CV ROM DiscordServer
https://discord.gg/PvFgxRg

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
I picked the japanese version because of the sound engine. I figured it was just better.

There may be a problem with the "Death" boss because there is a collapsing bridge before it and I've seen it bug on my hack (haven't tested that on the original game as grant yet). The problem is that I hate changing the level layout, it feels arbitrary and I myself don't like to read on the hack description that some changes have been made. I have even reverted every change I had made because now with the shorter jump there are no more forced deaths.

The platforms that move up/down and left/right didn't show any problem, as far as I noticed.

Yes, the bug exists in the original game, but it happens a lot more often on my hack because I made them faster than the original grant. Unless I reduce everybody's speed to 125% (which I don't really wanna do), I feel like I need to fix the problem before releasing the hack.

note: revamp seems to work fine on the japanese rom.

Grimlock

• Graphics Artist, Level Designer
    • View Profile
This does sound interesting, I like hacks that modify games in a way that introduces a whole new play style.  I read most of the posts but it wasn't clear to me if this project had already been released. 

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
There is a game breaking bug that exists in the original game that happens more often on this hack that I haven't fixed yet, so I haven't released it yet.

Morinis

• Cupcakes and Pizza
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
Here's a tip of advice on something I just found out and for everyone else that's reading this.  On both the U.S and Japanese version of Castlevania 3, Alucard doesn't take any damage when he's hit in the head.  Found this out by accident while going up the stairs and stopping just right for a Dhuron to stab him right through the noggin.  Went up one step and took damage in the torso.

Repeated this many times to see if I was tripping, or my emulator was tripping, but can always reenact it.  Alucard's head is absolutely freaking indestructible.

Supplying a screenshot of this...

Damn Konami.  Just how many corners did they cut when they rushed this game out back in the day?  My word...

Looks like I'm gonna have to rethink some things here for one of my projects.
ROM Hacker, Reviewer and Critic.

Don't Know What Else To Say So... <3 You!

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
Makes me wonder if grant gets hit if the sword goes above his head but close enough (meaning all of them have the same collision box on the stairs).

I'm getting inclined to drop this project for a while because of that bug. I guess I'll continue my other secret project instead. I doubt I'll ever be able to fix it, so what do you guys think? Should I make everyone as fast as the original grant (125% as opposed to 200% shown on the video) or don't even bother?

On this slightly faster version I think what I can do is apply some of the changes, but not much the changes that tamper with the game's difficulty a lot, like those combat changes I did. The only things I want to change that makes it easier is the 2x faster staircase and start on same room on death (continue sends to the start of the level as usual).
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 10:06:19 pm by nesrocks »

Morinis

• Cupcakes and Pizza
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
I say put this on the side for the time being until you want to mess with it again without having it feeling like a pain right now.  When the time comes play around with it and maybe see about level editing for a more challenge factor specifically made for this speed hack.  I know the level design idea wasn't the original idea for what you had planned but in time it might strike up that pathway for something towards that kind of manner.  One never knows :)
ROM Hacker, Reviewer and Critic.

Don't Know What Else To Say So... <3 You!

cospefogo

• "Take this silver dagger to save your neck."
    • View Profile
    • Fliperamas
Should I make everyone as fast as the original grant (125% as opposed to 200% shown on the video) or don't even bother?

Please, work with 125%.
Do what you can using this speed.
It will be a great improvement over the original version.
Don't drop it yet!
 :thumbsup:
"Replicants are like any other machine - they're either a benefit or a hazard.
If they're a benefit, it's not my problem."

PachaWillWatchYa

• View Profile
Well, since Sinis started this.
Yeah, all characters have pretty much the same hitbox most of the time.
I think only exception is Grant when he is crouching(though this was in Cadence of Agony's final patch, I don't remember if Grant's programing has been altered in there), since I remember him not being hit by Axe Armor's axe while in that position, while other characters got hurt.
Gonna have to try it out later to tell for sure.
Also, Alucard has a brief period of invulnerability when turning into bat(while smoke animation is cycling).

About 125 or 200%...
I dunno. You can always release more patches.
From what I understood you wanted to make the original game more enjoyable, if that's what you're aiming for you should probably try 125%.
If you want something more like a complete change of gameplay then make it 200%.
Hopefully you understand what I mean, I can't really express myself any better.