News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Other: Castlevania 30th anniversary  (Read 37022 times)

SourMesen

• View Profile
Re: Other: Castlevania 30th anniversary
« Reply #100 on: July 23, 2017, 08:25:36 pm »
I found 2 graphics glitch. I attached two screen shots, one from Mesen and one from HDNes for reference:
1. The "Help!" speech bubble in the screen shot. Not sure what's happening
2. When 2 sprites over lap, the sprites priority uses the original tile pixels instead of the HD pixels as shown in the bottom left of the screen shot.
Thanks for letting me know about this!
Both issues were actually the same thing. Mesen only took into account the sprite that was actually draw by the PPU when considering which HD sprite to draw (so there were issues when sprites overlapped). I fixed the problem, but I'm not quite done testing+optimizing yet - I'll most likely post a new test build within the next few days.

Edit: I updated the test build (which should fix these bugs + the bug reported by bogaabogaa below, too): https://www.mesen.ca/MesenHdPackTest.zip

Edit 2: Updated download link again with another build that fixes a couple more issues found by bogaabogaa
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 06:33:23 pm by SourMesen »

bogaabogaa

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 24, 2017, 02:23:26 am »
The HD Pack builder is great. I like all the options. It is easy to understand and you can get to work quickly like that. The sad thing is I never got it to work after I made changes. I placed the modified PNG files in the same folder where it got recorded. As far I understand you don't need to move things at all. I did check the options over and over again. In the Video tab HDpacks are enabled. I tryied CV 1, cv3 and super mario bros. (tried so many things) I have no idea what to do next guess I would remove all the emulator files and try again? Since I had older versions of the emulator. Hopefully will figure it out soon what I did wrong. Keep up the great work. I think it would be cool to include something in the log if a HDpack is found or if there is a error since I have no idea how to find out why it is not working for me.

I always tried to change the sprite.. for some reason this was the only thing that did not work.
This tiles are saved with different pallets. I am sure I modefied the right one. But can't tell right now why it does not work..

Here a Video that explains my problems https://www.twitch.tv/videos/161586479 FIXED!!

If you plan on doing a HDPack in the future I recommend to participate in the testing. There been issus for me that got fixed in no time. Can't tell how happy I am about your work Mesen. I think you create something great here!
You can blow new life in your old favorite games or even make a costume pack for your favorite streamer.

CV3 is working for me now too! https://clips.twitch.tv/NurturingShakingCormorantSSSsss

Here if you have no idea how to test. It is very easy and quick. Just grab a game, record with a filter on and check if it worked correctly.
Example: https://clips.twitch.tv/DaintyInventiveDuckGingerPower

Here what I did test so far:

Full game:

Castlevania 3
Castlevania

First one or tow stage:

Bomberman
Bubble Bobble
Grimlings 2 Then new Batch
Advancer of lolo
Bucky O'Hare
Castlevania II - Simon's Quest
Contra
Exitebike
Gauntlet
Ghosts'n Goblins
Hitler no Fukkatsu - Top Secret
Jurassic Park
Kirby's Adventure.. (World tow and I got 1500 PNGs pallet swapping OP)
Legend of Zelda
Super Mario Bros 3
Super Mario Bros 2
Ninja guiden 2

(There is also a bug when streaming with mesen using OBS.. it only happen when resizing the window while OBS is running. Only restart both program fixes it for me)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 07:30:51 pm by bogaabogaa »

SourMesen

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 06, 2017, 08:00:22 pm »
I just released version 0.9.1 (link) which contains all the HD Pack features/fixes I mentioned in my previous posts in the thread (among other things), if anyone feels like trying it out. Hopefully this will make it a bit more simple to create HD Packs for the NES and get some more people interested in it.

If you find any issues with it, let me know.

bogaabogaa

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 11, 2017, 12:19:39 am »
This is for people who want to test if they can apply HD packs correctly  :D

I made a CV3 HDPack with redrawn sprites made by Jorge D. Fuentes. Unfortunate he did not draw grant so don't check him out if you don't want the see a bad example.. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/szqdximfbdic9y4/AAANzmTl61waRLczoEQ1yZGra?dl=0

ShowCase: https://clips.twitch.tv/FlirtyHyperWormPanicBasket

(If anybody plays this could you record the missing sprite? I am working on a different pack right now. But I may fix and finish it if anybody would want this)

Is there a place where I can find HDPacks? Would be nice to be able to present and share work. I tried to find some HDPacks once but was not successful..

« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 03:46:30 pm by bogaabogaa »

mkwong98

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 15, 2017, 11:57:17 am »
I put my Kung Fu pack here: http://www.emutalk.net/forums/137-Completed-Projects
evgeny's Nuts & Milk: http://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9935&hilit=nuts+milk&start=210#p138128

BTW Sour, I found two problems with Mesen:
1. The previous glitch still exists between background layer and the back sprite layer. Try Double Dragon II, the "II" is made of sprites behind the Kanji characters.

2. The pixels of the background tiles with colour 0 are not transparent pixels in the generated png file. This means if the above glitch is fixed and I do not modify the png file, then the back sprites will be blocked by the colour 0 pixels.

SourMesen

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 15, 2017, 04:37:36 pm »
Thanks for letting me know!

I had chosen to not make the background color transparent because in many cases, the background color is used as an actual color rather than to represent transparency (in background tiles).
e.g in this screenshot, all the black is the background color, but it's clearly not meant to be transparent (the blue portions are not color 0):

I need to fix the first bug (e.g no longer relying on the original pixel's color index when rendering) since it does cause the issue you mentioned. But I think it might be worth making the transparency on background tiles an option when using the builder tool?

EDIT: After thinking about this some more, I figured out a way to do this automatically without any option.  Whenever a background tile has a background priority sprite showing through its background color, it's marked as "needing a transparent background".  This way, only problematic tiles are rendered with the transparent background. With this change, the PNG for Double Dragon looks like this:

This way I can fix both issues you mentioned and cases like Mega Man above still render normally with solid colors.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 07:06:39 pm by SourMesen »

mkwong98

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 27, 2017, 01:06:10 pm »
Sour, I want to try out the surrounding tiles condition feature of Mesen. Can you provide an example? Thanks.

SourMesen

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 27, 2017, 06:42:42 pm »
I wrote a quick document about the format & conditions a few weeks ago: https://www.mesen.ca/HiresFileFormatSpec.txt
I also added a few more condition types since ("vmirror", "hmirror", "bgpriority" - all for use on sprites), but they aren't available in 0.9.1.

Here's a few actual examples I used when trying to port kya's CV1 skin:
Code: [Select]
#statue vs background
<condition>statueBlock,tileNearby,0,-8,D2C2C2C7CF2FFEFC2C3C3C3830D00000,0F100017
[statueBlock]<tile>0,0E0E079C1E3EA7076101586121010000,0F100017,176,912,1,N
<tile>0,0E0E079C1E3EA7076101586121010000,0F100017,176,1168,1,N

<condition>redDrape,tileNearby,-8,0,41C1C3C7C7C7470FE0E0E0C0C0C0C000,0F101625
[redDrape]<tile>0,071E3E3F3FBFFFFF0000000000000000,0F101625,184,1192,1,N
<tile>0,071E3E3F3FBFFFFF0000000000000000,0F101625,184,936,1,N

<condition>blueBricks,tileNearby,-8,0,0A80000000000000F57FFE00E0F7E300,0F100017
<condition>blueBricks2,tileNearby,-8,0,00400000040000007F3F6D00C3F7F700,0F100017
[blueBricks]<tile>0,3F1F07170F0F0F0FC060F8E87090D0D0,0F100017,192,1168,1,N
[blueBricks2]<tile>0,3F1F07170F0F0F0FC060F8E87090D0D0,0F100017,192,1168,1,N
<tile>0,3F1F07170F0F0F0FC060F8E87090D0D0,0F100017,192,912,1,N

Let me know if you need more info.

mkwong98

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 31, 2017, 10:33:43 am »
I'm making a HD Pack editor at the moment to work with conditions.

When working with conditions, I need to find out how the tiles are placed on the screen. I'm using the PPU viewer to do that but the tile info on the Nametable Viewer doesn't include the CHR ROM address of the tiles. So I have find the tile by going through the Chr selection in the CHR Viewer. The same is true for Sprite Viewer too. So is it possible to add the CHR ROM address to the tile info?

Also when I right click a tile in the PPU Viewer, the is an option to copy tile in HD pack format. But the data is the raw pattern of the tile even when the game is a CHR ROM game so it wouldn't work in the HD pack.

Currently the only way to go back to a particular screen when using PPU Viewer is to use save states. However there aren't that many slots to work with. So is it possible to have a "Save As" option to save state? Or is it possible to dump the data of PPU Viewer into a file?

Thank you very much for your hard work.

SourMesen

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 31, 2017, 04:29:29 pm »
When working with conditions, I need to find out how the tiles are placed on the screen. I'm using the PPU viewer to do that but the tile info on the Nametable Viewer doesn't include the CHR ROM address of the tiles. So I have find the tile by going through the Chr selection in the CHR Viewer. The same is true for Sprite Viewer too. So is it possible to add the CHR ROM address to the tile info?
I added the ability to double-click on tiles in the nametable & sprite viewers to view them in the CHR viewer tab (with the NT/Sprite's palette automatically selected) a few days ago, would that be enough for what you need to do?

Also when I right click a tile in the PPU Viewer, the is an option to copy tile in HD pack format. But the data is the raw pattern of the tile even when the game is a CHR ROM game so it wouldn't work in the HD pack.
Yes, this is a bug in 0.9.1 - it's already fixed.  In the next version, it will copy the data as [tile index],[palette data] for CHR ROM games

Currently the only way to go back to a particular screen when using PPU Viewer is to use save states. However there aren't that many slots to work with. So is it possible to have a "Save As" option to save state?
I'll see what I can do about this - I will probably add this and keep the feature "hidden" behind the "Developer Mode" option that I added a couple of weeks ago (to keep the standard UI as simple as possible)

Nice to know you're working on an editor for this - looking forward to seeing it!

mkwong98

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 02, 2017, 07:43:25 am »
I added the ability to double-click on tiles in the nametable & sprite viewers to view them in the CHR viewer tab (with the NT/Sprite's palette automatically selected) a few days ago, would that be enough for what you need to do?

What the editor does is to reconstruct the objects in the game, identify which tiles in the objects are not unique and use conditions to distinguish them so that the user can replace them with unique tiles.

So besides copy the tile which the user double clicks, I suggest adding an option to copy the whole Nametable or OAM (as lines of tile id, palette, x, y). This way I can paste it to a textbox in the editor, the editor will reconstruct and display the Nametable or sprites, allowing the user to select tiles and group them into an object.

Don't worry about it if it takes too much to put in. Keep up the good work!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 10:29:35 am by mkwong98 »

niuus

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 05, 2017, 07:18:07 pm »
Does anybody know if there is a raw build of this Nestopia emulator that you could compile for example as a retroarch core?

In any case, are there any other NES emulators that allow for this kind of color patching?

This is way too awesome!
It would be incredible to patch this 'Castlevania HD' support unto the Nestopia core for Retroarch (Wii / Wii U)

bogaabogaa

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 10, 2017, 03:39:18 am »
Hey niuus did you look into the zip file? There is a src.zip file. And the read me has infos too that I mentioned multiple times in this thread already. I never tried to compile it myself though.
I think it would make more sense to make mesen emulator a part of the RetroPie. It has HDNES support and it works very well. I guess this HD CV1 will be ported soon too. Is anybody actually working on this?

Sephirous

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 27, 2017, 12:51:14 am »
I am a little late coming into the thread but figured I would ask anyway,
Are there any plans for updated graphic releases of Castlevania II and III?
Hacking Nes Roms Is Like Making Sweet Passionate Love, Hacking Snes Roms Is Like Having Your Bitchy Mother In Law Scream At You.

bogaabogaa

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 01, 2017, 07:11:11 am »
I have plans to do CV3. I did do the skins made by Jorge D. Fuentes as you see here. https://clips.twitch.tv/FlirtyHyperWormPanicBasket
But my skill at drawing is not really there yet as you see with grant.. and I was thinking of doing a CV1 first since it is shorter and a gory version may be welcome on the fans.

I would do the Anniversary CV1 for mesen and open a page to share skins. I was thinking someone is doing it already though I am waiting for some response.

It is a side project for me though it may take a while. I really hope to play some games with skins in the future.
I am realy impressed by the work of mesen giving us a great platform to create them.

SourMesen

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 02, 2017, 07:05:32 pm »
I haven't had the time to work on it lately, but I do have a partially working CV1 skin based on kya's work (created by using a script to convert his Nestopia skin to Mesen's format)
All I have left to do is to go through the game & setup some conditions to remove a number of problems with the tile replacements (because CV1 reuses the same tiles in different contexts, etc.)
I don't really have any ETA as I'm generally working on something else at the moment, but I should be able to get it done eventually.

So besides copy the tile which the user double clicks, I suggest adding an option to copy the whole Nametable or OAM (as lines of tile id, palette, x, y). This way I can paste it to a textbox in the editor, the editor will reconstruct and display the Nametable or sprites, allowing the user to select tiles and group them into an object.
Sorry, I completely missed that! This shouldn't be too hard to add - I'll try to get it done soon-ish.

mkwong98

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 05, 2017, 09:29:22 am »
Sorry, I completely missed that! This shouldn't be too hard to add - I'll try to get it done soon-ish.
That is great! Take your time, I haven't made much progress with the pack editor yet. So far I only made a ROM viewer similar to the CHR viewer in Mesen.

bogaabogaa

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 18, 2017, 06:43:14 pm »
I had a sound issues with 10x up scaling on CV1. Did not test much and I don't intend to use the high resolution. But I thought I say it anyway.
https://clips.twitch.tv/ThoughtfulJoyousGnatTF2John

AxlRocks

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 16, 2017, 07:21:11 pm »
Any news from anyone else working with this stuff? I've finished a 16-bit-ish pack for Megaman 1 myself. (Also a 30th Anniversary release!)

No idea where to post such a thing though. Anyway, I'm pretty happy with the results. You can see some Wily Wars graphics in it, though the WW color palette has been almost entirely thrown out in favor of more vibrant colors and the vast majority of graphics are adapted versions of the original designs.

What a ton of work though. Definitely 2 or 3 things I'd like to change, but they're minor and I'm a bit drained for working on this game after several months. (Plus my PC is hanging on by a thread at this point, but that's another story.) I also need a couple conditional graphics setup, but again, very minor in the case of Megaman.

Zynk

• Submission Reviewer
  • WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 16, 2017, 09:19:01 pm »
No idea where to post such a thing though.
You could make a standalone thread for this. Use Dropbox to store and share files.

BTW nice work. Would be nice to play that today (Dec 17)  :cookie: