News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Castlevania Aria of Sorrow enemy placement  (Read 2226 times)

caminopreacher

• "What is a man?"
    • View Profile
Castlevania Aria of Sorrow enemy placement
« on: May 10, 2017, 08:37:44 am »
Hello all. I wanted to know how to place enemies in specific locations. I already know how to, and have made a guide, on how to edit item placement, but I have no idea how to change enemy placement. Specifically, I want to place Julius in the battle arena to fight him after the dialogue after you fight Balore. Thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: Castlevania Aria of Sorrow enemy placement
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 06:20:45 pm »
It is usually the same thing as item placement, certainly I would expect anybody that knows enough to edit item locations in a level to be able to make a start on enemy placement and vice versa. You will have a table, sometimes with items, sometimes within the level itself, sometimes as a third table along with with items and level layouts.
Generally said table will contain the enemy type and the enemy position in the level (this looks like one of those games that has rooms and starts behaviours based on the screen coming near them but it is probably still relative to the whole room), and then it can also contain other modifying factors (start direction, any advanced AI behaviour, though that can also be taken care of by defining another enemy type even if the bestiary does not consider it as such, I don't know offhand if this is one of those with hard mode that changes all medusa heads but there are varying ways a game might account for that).

If this was from scratch I could cover some other stuff, here though other than saying there is a very good chance the item location format (the section that tells it where it is in x and y within the room) is reused here for enemies most of that would probably be stuff you already know.

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 10:24:59 am »
Hey, you might be interested in my editor, I recently added support for AoS.
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=23678.0
Its support for AoS is still incomplete compared to the DS games, for example if you try to increase the number of entities in a room it will just crash the editor. But basic stuff like moving entities around and changing what an entity is should work fine. Let me know if you need help using it.

caminopreacher

• "What is a man?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017, 12:03:17 pm »
Ah! I've heard good things about this utility, but haven't downloaded it yet. Will definitely look into it when I get off work. I'm currently tweaking some of my AOS hacks and any time saver I can get is appreciated. So you can change enemy placement, but not add duplicates then? I'm looking forward to using this!