News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Nintendo Discontinues NES Classic Edition  (Read 7765 times)

pianohombre

• View Profile
    • My personal website of short stories and comics
Nintendo Discontinues NES Classic Edition
« on: April 14, 2017, 03:33:09 am »
http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/04/13/nintendo-discontinues-the-nes-classic-edition

This seemed like a fun idea. It was a console pre-loaded with 30 Nintendo favorites with a classic nes controller. Although I read some reviews on Amazon people complained about the cord length and that the item is currently listed for $159.99 (it used to be $69.99).

I just recently learned about RetroPie though. Seems like a way better deal. If you get the Raspberry Pi3 and the case it's less than $50 and you get several systems from Gameboy Advance to Sega Genesis to Gamecube  and you can play on your TV. Some people sell pre-installed RetroPies with a couple controllers, case, SD card, raspberry pi for about twice the cost also. Seems like a better deal.
"Programming in itself is beauty,
whether or not the operating system actually functions." - Linus Torvalds

Bregalad

• View Profile
Re: Nintendo Discontinues NES Classic Edition
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 04:04:37 am »
http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/04/13/nintendo-discontinues-the-nes-classic-edition

This seemed like a fun idea. It was a console pre-loaded with 30 Nintendo favorites with a classic nes controller. Although I read some reviews on Amazon people complained about the cord length and that the item is currently listed for $159.99 (it used to be $69.99).
Why would anyone pay more for this than for a real NES with about the same number of games ? (For about $100 you can usually get packages with consoles + controllers + some interesting games on ebay). It's utterly ridiculous.

Mari42

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 05:26:47 am »
Why would anyone pay more for this than for a real NES with about the same number of games ? (For about $100 you can usually get packages with consoles + controllers + some interesting games on ebay). It's utterly ridiculous.

Because they were supporting Nintendo's product which is pretty sad honestly. There was something you can do with it, but I'm not even sure yet actually.

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2017, 06:59:08 am »
Why would anyone pay more for this than for a real NES with about the same number of games ?

For one the games look crisp and not like utter shit on a modern HDTV.
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

pianohombre

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2017, 07:23:51 am »
Well Gamestop is selling this for $79.99 currently. It's Amazon that marked it up to $159.99

This just after they released the Nintendo Switch. Does Nintendo need new management?

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2017, 10:21:48 am »
Because they were supporting Nintendo's product which is pretty sad honestly.

KIND OF HARD TO support a product you can't buy from official dealers.

I think some people at Nintendo management do need to be replaced. This is just the latest in a series.

I saw the Nintendo Direct with the amiibo announcement, and that "limited supply" remark should hopefully just kill the hype right there. We've seen enough of these "limited supplies" to see where it goes. They might as well just send those "limited" amiibos straight to the highest-rated ebay scalpers.
(amiibos, Majora's Mask Edition 3DS, Fire Emblem Fates Special Edition, NES Classic...)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2017, 11:05:39 am »
I still say we haven't ruled out collusion. A backdoor deal between Nintendo and the scalpers is far from unreasonable to consider.

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2017, 11:35:39 am »
I've heard the raspberry pi has an unavoidable input lag problem, so for serious gaming it is a no go.

pianohombre

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2017, 06:35:37 pm »
I've heard the raspberry pi has an unavoidable input lag problem, so for serious gaming it is a no go.

This article, https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/2019/an-input-lag-investigation/2, claims the lag is from the emulator (emulation station) and not the actual raspberry pi itself. So perhaps with some updates the lag will be fixed. I've seen some people have resolved the issue by switching their tv to "gaming mode" and then using a wired versus wireless controller. Personally, I don't own one though. It doesn't seem pretty neat though. I'll probably hold off until they release an update.

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2017, 11:14:08 am »
I've tested the NES emulator on a raspberry pi 2 on a gaming mode led tv and a wired controller and there was noticeable lag on all kinds of options available (screen resolution, sync, etc). The same tv is used without lag with other systems.

I hope it is just an emulator problem as they say, because the little thing sounds awesome. I want to own one, but not until that problem is fixed.

Windy-kun

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2017, 12:53:17 pm »
KIND OF HARD TO support a product you can't buy from official dealers.

I think some people at Nintendo management do need to be replaced. This is just the latest in a series.

I saw the Nintendo Direct with the amiibo announcement, and that "limited supply" remark should hopefully just kill the hype right there. We've seen enough of these "limited supplies" to see where it goes. They might as well just send those "limited" amiibos straight to the highest-rated ebay scalpers.
(amiibos, Majora's Mask Edition 3DS, Fire Emblem Fates Special Edition, NES Classic...)

This is just their way of making sure the whole supply and demand thing gets met and they sell it all ASAP because people will be pressured into getting one before it sells out. It's really bad for people who want one and can't afford it though because unless you always have the money on hand to pre-order these things immediately on day one, you'll usually be SoL to get one. Watch as they pull the NES Classic away to make sure people only pay attention to the Switch and the upcoming VC service then a few months from now they decide to sell the NES Classic again to try to capitalize on the people who wanted one and didn't get it. Meanwhile, scalpers rejoice that any NES Classics they have left over can now be sold for much more to take advantage of the desperate.

dACE

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2017, 01:26:17 pm »
Why does Nitendo don't want my money?

:banghead:

/dACE

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2017, 04:28:56 pm »
How can you discontinue something that was apparently in limited quantities to begin with?
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...

pianohombre

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2017, 07:56:05 pm »
https://www.amazon.com/Old-Skool-NES-case-Raspberry/dp/B01M4OOY4U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1492300805&sr=8-1&keywords=raspberry+pi+nintendo+case

They even have a nintendo case for raspberry pi. although, you'll still probably get the input lag that other people are complaining about.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2017, 10:08:59 pm »
Why does Nitendo don't want my money?

:banghead:

/dACE

Remembering the guy who got fired with an NDA-violation for answering that question. :(
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2017, 02:37:29 am »
Remembering the guy who got fired with an NDA-violation for answering that question. :(

There you go. The elephant in the corner critics have consistently failed to push for the hard truth about.
NDA abuse gives the industry a wall of silence ensuring nobody identifiable can be held accountable for corruption.

mrrichard999

• So Goooood! :D
    • View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2017, 03:17:34 am »
Just get a modded xbox with a NES controller to plug into USB, with a USB to Xbox Port adapter!  Its such an underated system to mod and it does so much :)

dACE

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2017, 08:55:47 am »

Here are the most common reasons people are mentioning might be behind the cancellation:

- Nitendo offered the miniNES as a limited edition collectible and was actually not making any serious money out of it.

Whut - they are offering something like a rasberry-pii, for twice the money, and they are not making profit? Nonsense, next reason:

- Nitendo is about to launch the VC on the Switch and don't want to cannibalize the market for NES titles themselves.

Well - should it matter HOW they get their money. It's not like anybody buys a Switch becasue then they will be able to play 30 year old games on it. Don't get me wrong, the VC is a nice feature - but hardly the reason to by new hardware.

- Nitendo is concerned that the miniNES have been hacked and people are putting more titles on it illegally.

Meh - the people who are adding to the limited software library are most likely those who already have a library of roms at hand. The miniNES had been a way of making some money out of so calles 'pirates' - because they would have bought the hardware as a nice unit to play their roms on.

There you go, the three most common explanations I heard people speculate about - and NONE of them makes ANY business sense. If you have a demand - you stand to make money - if you meet that demand. That's business economics 101!

The only reason that makes sense - is that Nintendo is being runned by mental retards.

/dACE

Bobolicious81

• Keeper of the Taco Sandwich
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2017, 12:33:33 pm »
That's too bad we never reached a point where someone could actually walk into a store and buy one of these...
The day it was announced that it was being discontinued, I checked Amazon and the average reseller price jumped from $180 to $350...
I intended to buy one of these once the dust settles a bit, but there's no way I'm paying those ridiculous prices. The NES Classic was a neat idea, but was handled horribly by Nintendo.
So I guess I'll just keep playing NES roms on my phone with my clip-on bluetooth controller.

RainbowDash321

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2017, 01:09:23 pm »
That I agree with.....just stick with NES emulator on device. I have emulators on PSP and A/V cables to it playing fullscreen. I saw the miniNES at GameStop and the price is too high to buy this...really Nintendo?