News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Nintendo Discontinues NES Classic Edition  (Read 7766 times)

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Discontinues NES Classic Edition
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2017, 01:54:14 pm »
http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/04/13/nintendo-discontinues-the-nes-classic-edition

This seemed like a fun idea. It was a console pre-loaded with 30 Nintendo favorites with a classic nes controller. Although I read some reviews on Amazon people complained about the cord length and that the item is currently listed for $159.99 (it used to be $69.99).

I just recently learned about RetroPie though. Seems like a way better deal. If you get the Raspberry Pi3 and the case it's less than $50 and you get several systems from Gameboy Advance to Sega Genesis to Gamecube  and you can play on your TV. Some people sell pre-installed RetroPies with a couple controllers, case, SD card, raspberry pi for about twice the cost also. Seems like a better deal.

There is an HDMI adaptor for the Wii itself which works beatifully. $8.
Yamero~~!

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2017, 02:48:29 pm »
The only reason that makes sense - is that Nintendo is being runned by mental retards.
Ugggggh.  People have been saying this for the last twenty years.  Maybe "Nitendo" is just doing this because it puts them back in the headlines and ensures people will continue making message board posts about them.  :P

Isn't there at least some vague possibility that maybe, just maybe, someone at Nintendo has access to information that you don't know about?

I was inclined to believe that maybe this was an expedient way for them to get rid of leftover Wii U components that they couldn't do anything with, but that is just speculation.  A better explanation is that they just needed to have something out over the holiday season for marketing reasons and that yes, they would prefer that you buy the Switch now, because why wouldn't they?  I think it matters very much "how they get their money", since once you have the Switch, you're likely to keep buying games for it, one way or another; that is definitely not the case for the mini NES.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

dACE

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2017, 04:38:25 pm »
Ugggggh.  People have been saying this for the last twenty years.  Maybe "Nitendo" is just doing this because it puts them back in the headlines and ensures people will continue making message board posts about them.  :P

Don't get me wrong, I love that Nitendo sticks out and are prepared to take chances with their hardware. I can even, at some level, understand the miserable Metroid Prime Forces for the 3DS.

But when they seem to struggle with simple business logic - I call that retarded.

/dACE

pianohombre

• View Profile
    • My personal website of short stories and comics
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2017, 11:28:16 pm »
There is an HDMI adaptor for the Wii itself which works beatifully. $8.

Yes, I know people can mod Wii's and Xbox's and PS2's to run most systems 16-bit or below, most of those can even emulate PSX, or N64. I'm just commenting on the article for people who haven't modded their systems or don't know how to mod them, or would just like a simple trinket for $50 or $60 from Nintendo.
"Programming in itself is beauty,
whether or not the operating system actually functions." - Linus Torvalds

SleepyFist

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2017, 08:31:04 am »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlEtJYYDjSk
They're making the SNES Classic Mini now, have fun dealing with scalpers. :thumbsup:

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2017, 05:02:28 pm »
They're making the SNES Classic Mini now, have fun dealing with scalpers. :thumbsup:

Fingers crossed they remake the old controllers and not have them permanently attached to the unit.  ;)
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

Eden.GT

• Hardcore SMB1 Player and Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2017, 06:47:51 pm »

Ahh, before it is the NES Classic Mini, and now the SNES Classic Mini. What would they produce next?
Is the pool clean?

MitsukuHackbot

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2017, 07:00:23 pm »
Ahh, before it is the NES Classic Mini, and now the SNES Classic Mini. What would they produce next?

GB/GBC/GBA Classic that plays on a TV. *fingers crossed*

dACE

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2017, 07:43:12 pm »
It does not matter what they do as mini next, if they will discontinue it before you are able to buy it.

/dACE

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2017, 11:06:00 pm »
Keep up the hype and a Virtual Boy Mini would probably sell better than the original. :D

(no that would never happen, only 22 released games and at least half of them probably have some licensing issue.)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

pianohombre

• View Profile
    • My personal website of short stories and comics
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2017, 01:17:14 am »

Most emus that can play psx,snes,nes can also play gba/gbc/gb I was just playing an old Zelda GBC game I never finished earlier today. I think the snes classic looks like a good investment opportunity, especially if it's limited like nes. People were trying to sell Nes classic locally on craigslist for $300. Buy for $60 sell for $300 that's a 500% markup. Worst-case scenario sell it for same price and break even.
"Programming in itself is beauty,
whether or not the operating system actually functions." - Linus Torvalds

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2017, 09:10:05 am »
I'm holding out for an N64 with emulation that Nintendo actually gets right (even the VC has flaws, but apparently this is because the hardware they were using isn't enough).  The lineup might we weird due to rights, but it'd probably be the only product of this I can find use for outside of a Virtual Boy that gives the feeling of one without the headache.

It does not matter what they do as mini next, if they will discontinue it before you are able to buy it.

/dACE
This is true though.  All the minis have ever done for me in the end is result in a whole bunch of people asking me where to get one.