News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Nier Automata?  (Read 4097 times)

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
Nier Automata?
« on: April 16, 2017, 11:24:49 pm »
Has anyone tried this game?  Does it have any value apart from the sexy character model?

Idkbutlike2

• Beer Chozo
    • View Profile
Re: Nier Automata?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 12:32:42 am »
Yeah, it's a fairly polished hack 'n' slash/platformer/shmup hybrid with a weird setting and story. There's a lot of weird gimmicks and high octane action sequences. If any of that sounds appealing, then I'm sure you'd like it.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 12:45:24 am by Idkbutlike2 »

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 10:20:07 am »
From what LITTLE gameplay I've seen, the hack-n-slash stuff seemed spread out, samey, and button mashy.  And shmups aren't really my thing... though that seemed to be a minor aspect of the game.

I guess I'm asking... what's the gimmick?  Like... is it just straight forward slash at stuff to kill them -- or are there some unique gameplay mechanics thrown in to make it interesting?  How much detail can you give me?

Thanks.

Idkbutlike2

• Beer Chozo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 01:24:54 pm »
Well, the game's got two major modes of gameplay: third person action and shoot 'em up sections. The former takes up the majority of the game and shifts between standard third person, platforming, and even a few top-down sections. You travel around the game's world, completing various objectives and doing side quests along the way. It's sort of an open world game in that regard, but smaller and more succinct than your average AAA title. The second mode of gameplay comes in two flavors: level set pieces and hacking. The former involves piloting a flying mech and destroying waves of enemies and bosses. It mostly plays like a typical shmup, but you have a bit more freedom of control at certain times, allowing the mech to fire in multiple directions and use a sword to destroy enemy projectiles. Hacking features a much more simplified version of typical shmup gameplay (you just move around and shoot), but has far more unique applications for other parts of the game. Describing it in detail would be going head-deep into spoiler territory, though, so I'll just say that a lot of fourth wall breaking and plot moments happen as the result of hacking.

The appeal of Nier Automata is mostly the sum of its parts. It takes a bunch of mostly conventional video game features and frames them in a number of interesting plot set pieces and other stuff like that. It's not for everyone, but it's damn good for what it tries to do.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 01:40:16 pm by Idkbutlike2 »

Piotyr

• I'm useful, honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 02:57:30 pm »
Don't forget the story, if you can get past the absurd setting, is amazing and will really impact you emotionally (At least it did me).

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2017, 08:45:58 pm »
Don't forget the story, if you can get past the absurd setting, is amazing and will really impact you emotionally (At least it did me).

I actually would expect this---Nier had one of the best written/executed plots I've played.  I definitely got plenty of feels, especially once they had the big reveal about the shadows...I think this is written by the same folks, so I hope there's some emotional stuff!

My own question would be about whether they kept the RPG elements from the first game.  I actually liked those, and even though I'd still play the daylights out of this because of the first game, I'd be a little disappointed if it was a pure action game...

Bonesy

• Dog is God, God is Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2017, 11:00:00 pm »
yoko taro is an international treasure

Idkbutlike2

• Beer Chozo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2017, 01:30:55 am »
yoko taro is an international treasure
Oh, quit dick riding him, man. I swear, that's like the one annoying aspect of Automata's popularity. All of the sudden people are putting Yoko Taro on a pedestal as some underrated genius. His track record prior to Automata is pretty crappy and I guarantee you that a lot of Automata's polish and playability were the result of Platinum's action game finesse, not Taro's weird ideas.

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2017, 01:40:34 am »
So I decided to try it and it ran unplayably sluggish on my relatively old machine  =(

Guess that settles that.

Bonesy

• Dog is God, God is Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2017, 02:42:38 am »
Oh, quit dick riding him, man. I swear, that's like the one annoying aspect of Automata's popularity. All of the sudden people are putting Yoko Taro on a pedestal as some underrated genius. His track record prior to Automata is pretty crappy and I guarantee you that a lot of Automata's polish and playability were the result of Platinum's action game finesse, not Taro's weird ideas.

fuck off, nier was excellent

Piotyr

• I'm useful, honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2017, 02:46:05 am »

We aren't saying he is good at gameplay design, far from it! He is an insanely mad genius at world creation and style. The fact people still talk about Drakengard today even tho it is a horrible game is proof hes a great director. Just give him a dev team that can do gameplay and you will have gold!

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2017, 09:46:26 am »
Oh for fuck's sake, you guys.  This is a conversation about the game.  Who the fuck cares about whatever developer made it.  Chill out.

thr

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2017, 09:47:46 am »
just finished this a while ago. haven't played the original Nier, so can't really compare, but this one is pretty solid for what it does. some genre mixing and 'experimental' features make it pretty interesting, but it doesn't really pick up until late game when more options are available. from what i understand, this is a spinoff of Drakengard series, and it shows at times. there's a lot of fighting, but you're reminded all the time how pointless all this fighting really is, and i can certainly appreciate how the game subverts the glorification of fighting to promote a pacifist worldview, but i'm afraid this meaning may be lost on some people, because it's pretty subtle and not so in-your-face. and this whole 'do androids dream of electric sheep' trope isn't helping in this matter.

anyway, the story was pretty emotional, but rather towards the situations than the characters, and i was completely indifferent towards the characters for the whole game. after all, you're constantly being reminded that they're simply robots (robots, androids, machines, whatever),
Spoiler:
and their feelings and emotions are artificially designed and programmed as means for achieving maximum combat efficiency. but I really think that this whole 'pointless, aimless war between mindless robots' is a fitting, albeit very sad commentary on the factual human condition,
and it really did get to me, because you know, fiction is just a reflection of the real world, and Nier manages to reflects back some pretty sad and disturbing stuff that tells a lot about ourselves. so don't be misguided, this isn't a story about a war between the machines. this is about us.

edit: spoiler-tagged some stuff, but they're mild spoilers anyway and the game tells you pretty much all of that early on.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 10:35:39 am by thr »

Gideon Zhi

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2017, 10:38:30 am »
I haven't had much chance to play Automata, but there are a number of fixes to the PC version you can try in this thread here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/60yzvg/nierautomata_on_pc_now_has_a_beta_release_of/

That said, I 100%'d the original NieR and it was incredible. The gameplay, while a mostly "standard" hack-and-slash, frequently had moments where it got changed up - there was a side-view segment, a top-down Diablo style segment, even a text adventure segment. The music was amazing, and there's a NG+ mechanic that actually adds extra value to the plot and makes you view the actions you're taking in an entirely new light, and the requirements for receiving the final ending were groundbreaking and completely unique. I understand that Automata is a similarly broad experience but I cannot personally attest to that. I'll get to Automata after I finish Persona 5 and Cosmic Star Heroine.

Idkbutlike2

• Beer Chozo
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2017, 05:40:28 pm »
I haven't had much chance to play Automata, but there are a number of fixes to the PC version you can try in this thread here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/60yzvg/nierautomata_on_pc_now_has_a_beta_release_of/
I can vouch that this mod works to an extent. I still get a lot of hitching, but it definitely improves the overall framerate of the (unfortunately) under-optimized PC port.