News:

11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Main Menu

creating patch NGC games

Started by AlfredoDore, March 10, 2022, 09:19:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlfredoDore

I made an undub version of Tales of Symphonia with the European version (as it includes several languages, including Spanish) what I want is to create a patch to share with everyone, but I don't know which program to use

Solid One

I think xdelta patches should do the trick. Use Xdelta UI.

AlfredoDore

I did the Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles too, but the Wii one doesn't work, because I don't know how to program, I think it only goes with a hack

FAST6191

I will note many undub patches if they include the soundtrack/copyrighted data can be tricky to share as is. Patches then tend to be for things you might be able to trick a game into using as the devs left in the voices (and possibly some means to access them), full fan undubs (not really a thing, mostly only see fan dubs) or as part of greater patching efforts that will see your users have to find the ROM they want, the ROM with the data (or possibly TV show in some cases -- there was a bit of fun with a PSP game project a while back slicing up the TV show of its accompanying anime) and then having a batch file unpack everything, repack, alter anything that needs tweaking and rebuild.

Beyond that then yeah basic patchers used on older devices will not work, both because they can't do that much data (IPS is limited to 16 megabytes, fine for the NES but even the GBA gets to 32 in many games, start talking about gigabytes for things) and they can't relocate data (files on a disc might go back in size order, might go back in name order, might be something else entirely -- the dumb patcher program will only see a change and act accordingly, smarter ones will try to locate where the original data landed*. Some on the GC (and later Wii but more on that shortly) used PPF (playstation patching format) for reasons I am never sure about. Most people playing in larger ROM hacks these days will instead be using xdelta, or maybe bsdiff but that can get tricky as the older common windows version has a lower size limit (might just be below gamecube discs though). https://github.com/mendsley/bsdiff http://www.daemonology.net/bsdiff/ and http://xdelta.org/ , https://www.evanjones.ca/software/xdelta-win32.html is a far older version but I link it for forum searchers that might have one using this version (was popular for a long time on the DS).

*you might need to set an option for this in the patch making program as they will try to get away with as low as they can here (having to search several gigs of file every few bytes gets time consuming, assuming it landed within 20 megs of the original makes searches shorter at the risk of falsely claiming it could not find the original data, to that end balancing act between search size and time taken to make the patch).

For the Wii you face the problem that a) people use all manner of different formats (full, scrubbed, super scrubbed, WBFS and all things in between) and b) most of those are encrypted which means as far as the patcher is concerned the data is entirely different (good encryption kind of is that). To that end for Wii optical discs (Wiiware, VC and other things that come in WAD format have their own problems but it is much the same idea, just with showmiiwads and libwiisharp examples or whatever else the kids are using these days) most will instead make scripts for the end users to inject their own files. Also means people using other hacks stand a reasonable chance of having things work too (you only need to unpack, overwrite files and rebuild after all -- your sound modifications likely not troubling some graphics or level edits).
There are tools to regenerate complete Wii isos these days from even WBFS stuff (I was quite surprised). Others will instead link https://wit.wiimm.de/ or Wii scrubber and say what files to unpack, patch and replace (or indeed include a batch file/shell script/guide for those that want something a bit more hand holding).

AlfredoDore

I made the change by trial and error manually and without anyone explaining the procedure to me, in a very rough way, I realized that you can't change dat format files, and I would really like a Wii FF version, on the Wii there is a much better program than the Wii Scruber and it's called WiiBaFu 

KingMike

I think the only way to recreate a legal to distribute "patch" for such a thing is to require the user to have ISOs of both versions and write a tool to copy the data from one version of the game to another.
It shouldn't be too hard to write something if you have programming skill, and know how to find the data in each version.

Otherwise there's just not a way to create a patch that works as a roundabout way of copyright.
Such regular patches would still be containing copyright data.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

AlfredoDore

so there's really no way to create it, I replaced the files using gcr, manually, I don't know anything about programming but I learned a lot from the NGC ISO structure, now I make my own UNDUB versions

FAST6191

You can make the patch as it stands now, you just won't be able to distribute it on sites like this and sites that don't distribute ROMs/pirated materials, which is most of them. If you want to make a patch so others can use it and distribute it on site like this then you will instead have to
You say you can't/won't edit the dat files, this means you are likely replacing files within the game (which is fair enough as that is how 99% of undubs happen when we get to anything using a file system -- open usually Japanese iso, grab everything that is a sound file which is usually obvious thanks to names/extensions/sizes/directory names/magic stamps, open US/EU iso, replace sound files in that with the stuff from the Japanese which will also usually have all the same names/directories, rebuild if it was not a straight file injection, play) and that makes the second part easy.

Make all the changes you want. It is easy enough to compare before and after for files within an iso (everything from make a SFV file listing all the CRC32s of the files and compare those to zipping them and doing the same with the zip there to a real file compare program and most will do there as they don't have to be anything like aware of what files do in a gamecube/wii game).
You don't need to be able to program anything. Can you use a command line? Is there a command line extraction tool for your console of choice? A batch file can be more but can also be a simple list of commands in a text file with the extension .bat. As you are ripping files from one game that is never going to change, copying them to another directory and rebuilding, or ripping files and injecting them into the iso, this can be done with a series of simple commands with the only extra being whatever tool you are using to rip the files. Makes things trickier for those not on Windows (and there are a fair few on Linux, Android and such nowadays) but thems the breaks really. If you want to make a guide in whatever readme you make to go with it to say for those on other systems, with modified isos (maybe a translation or another hack came before you) or in 20 years when even Windows (assuming it still exists/is not high end business software) and is not backwards compatible with stuff of today (never mind windows 3.? then today we frequently have trouble with programs that worked great under XP) saying these are the files you want in the I guess Japanese iso, here is where they are, overwrite them accordingly.

AlfredoDore

I used this program, with it you extract the entire ISO and with it you can remake the ISO with the material you extracted, it's a tool that you have here  https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/619/

March 13, 2022, 11:14:45 AM - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

I would like them to make a dedicated tool for the Wii, because of the Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles´Ç║ The Crystal Bearers that the audios are encoded, it is only possible to replace the videos

FAST6191

What do you mean the audio is encoded? There are times when things differ between regions (usually in Japan voice acting being expected means they get it, whatever porting house is paying rock bottom prices to translate it then dropping that and going with silence when in NA/Europe but occasionally other takes and times quality changes for some reason, doubt it would for the Wii as it is usually more of a size thing but who knows) and that can make things harder. If it is audio being dropped then that can be hard (to the point people instead backport the text), if it is changed quality then you get to match quality (most wii games using the same formats rather than completely custom) or change the game to use a different quality (assuming the game does not automatically pick up on it -- while most of the time the frequency/channel count/volume/whatever in the header is extra fluff that is not used there are some games that do use it and adjust accordingly).

Looking at the program you linked and its functionality then https://wit.wiimm.de/wit/ looks to be a pretty good replacement for the Wii for your purposes.

AlfredoDore

no, the ISO is exactly the same, in FF for you to see the Japanese version there is no subtitles in the lines, I tried to get the subtitles from the European version and amazed, in the Japanese ISO it has Japanese subtitles, which means it is encoded, there is no audio folder or anything, the only folder present is the one for the videos, which means that the audios are in the game's source

March 14, 2022, 09:14:43 PM - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

I'm sure the audio files are here, I just don't know how to replace it, since if I change it, the ISO gives an error  https://i.ibb.co/Ssxh1pj/Final-Fantasy-audios-e-v-deos.png

FAST6191

Ah OK. It is one of those games that keeps most things in a sub archive. Don't tend to see them on the Wii but I suppose I have not pulled apart as many Wii games as I have others (on the DS it is rare but reasonably well known, and indeed music tends to be left outside it in most cases).

Guess you get to learn how the archive in this case works. Somewhere in there or a related file (those .pos files might have something though a few kilobytes for several gigs of file is on the low side, especially if video is a separate concept) will be a list of either pointers (could be any of the big types -- file level, offset, relative, sector based) or file sizes, and hopefully some nice stuff like file names/extensions (not required as the game presumably can be told what one to grab without it but usually present in most archive formats). If you can find the locations of some known files ( https://wiibrew.org/wiki/Category:File_formats BRSTM and AST doing much of the heavy lifting on the Wii for audio, find the headers and see if you can find the matching pointer). If it is in the main file then there it will usually be near the start of the file (see headers) or near the end of the file (see footers).

AlfredoDore

I don't see it there, I think they are single files .pos