News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Why no emulators?  (Read 2218 times)

andrewclunn

• View Profile
Why no emulators?
« on: April 02, 2017, 09:28:54 pm »
Been here forever, but it didn't occur to me until today that this site doesn't host emulators.  Any particular reason?

danke

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Why no emulators?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 12:06:53 am »

andrewclunn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 09:32:05 pm »
If they have them, then it's not very discoverable.

filler

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • "WINNERS DON'T SELL REPROS"
    • View Profile
    • Filler's Translation Projects
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 10:23:13 pm »
I actually checked the other day and didn't notice the "special emulators" either.  :-\

andrewclunn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2017, 04:26:36 pm »
Ah, it's in utilities under debuggers / special emulators.  No wonder I missed it.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2017, 04:31:21 pm »
I'm guessing we only host ROMhacking-centric emulators because to do otherwise would be outside the purpose of the site (and probably a pain to keep updated).
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 03:07:38 pm »
I'm guessing we only host ROMhacking-centric emulators because to do otherwise would be outside the purpose of the site (and probably a pain to keep updated).
To be fair, much of what is done on RHDN involves emulation in one way or another, so keeping an emulator section and having the community maintain it as things get updated[like the other section are now] would only make sense from a certain point of view. Of course, there is Zophar's domain over at Zophar.net which already does this and also has one of the most impressive game music collections on the net. Certainly worth a look if for those that weren't aware of it.

Zoinkity

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2017, 11:51:41 pm »
Hosting general emulators?  Opens up a bit of a rabbit hole when you're talking about open-source ones, forks thereof, keeping track of merging and unmerging branches, and all the various ports thereof for different platforms when that's applicable (emus for wii/xbone/ps* for example).  As an example, there's branches of MAME specific to running certain titles that will never be merged into master.

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2017, 03:10:00 pm »
Hosting general emulators?  Opens up a bit of a rabbit hole when you're talking about open-source ones, forks thereof, keeping track of merging and unmerging branches, and all the various ports thereof for different platforms when that's applicable (emus for wii/xbone/ps* for example).  As an example, there's branches of MAME specific to running certain titles that will never be merged into master.
Those are very good points! I was thinking more just general releases. But there shouldn't be any reason not to have an "Emulators" section and have "General", "Debug" and "Custom" sub-sections. Calling an emulator a "utility", even if it has developer functionality built in, seems a bit generic to be in that category. RHDN might be better served by giving emulators their own clearly defined section, IMHO.