News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Virtual Cameraman (3DO) English translation  (Read 1667 times)

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
Virtual Cameraman (3DO) English translation
« on: November 28, 2018, 07:08:19 am »
Hello there, RHDN faithful! Those of you who know me will know that one thing I like with ROM hacking is exploring new frontiers, doing things I haven't done before. So, it's with that in mind that I've decided to translate a series of games on the 3DO. I've never worked on a CD-based system before, nor a post-16-bit system (unless the PC-98 counts, which it sort of does).

You might be thinking: why, of all games, did you choose to translate a game series that involves asking women you meet in the street to pose for nude photos? Well, unlike some prudish members of the community, I don't turn my nose up at adult-themed games, but it's also a very good test case for me. There isn't a lot of text, so it'll be easy to finish. I like short achievable projects that can add to my experience.

Anyway, I will provide screenshots of progress later, but don't worry: everything that needs translating is very tasteful. ;) The main reason I started the thread already is because I have a couple of technical issues to address, and I wanted to bring them up with you guys.

First is the issue of playing my hacked version. The translation comprises two parts: changing the Shift JIS menu text into English ASCII text, which is as simple as editing the CD image directly; and changing the picture files that contain the interview questions, which requires unpacking the files on the CD and changing them that way. It is the latter that causes the issue: after unpacking and repacking the image, the game no longer runs as is.

I followed advice on a Russian 3DO site and added files from 3DO Game Guru, which means it now loads (with the Game Guru splash screen), but only with a hacked BIOS which skips an RSA check. I want to play it on my real 3DO so this ain't gonna do. The only other English translation I know of for 3DO is Doctor Hauzer, and that not only has its own splash screen (I haven't figured out the format yet) but also runs fine on a regular BIOS. If anyone knows how they achieved this, I'd be super grateful. :)

The second issue is that of distribution. The aforementioned Doctor Hauzer is available as a readily-patched ISO, but I don't like doing this, as it goes against the way our site runs. Initially I couldn't think of how to do it, until I realised that it's quite easy to take any image and unpack it, so I could just make patches for the files which are changed. Therefore, the only stuff in my release would be the bytes I changed. I haven't tested this theory yet, but if I can get it to work, does it sound logical to you guys?

Well, that's all for now. Expect some progress soon as I've done probably 25% of the first game already, and there are five games (the last three have less text though). Any and all feedback is welcome! Even if some of you couldn't care less about this particular game, I hope my efforts will be a springboard for further 3DO translations. :)

goldenband

• View Profile
Re: Virtual Cameraman (3DO) English translation
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018, 05:11:06 pm »
Wonderful stuff, Psyklax. I've posted a thread at 3DO Zone here:

http://3do.cdinteractive.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3810

There are a few hackers who drift in and out of the site, though the Russian-language 3DO Planet is currently the most active 3DO site. Still, someone will come along on 3DO Zone who knows how to handle the digital signing of the completed disc.

Might I also suggest pinging ArcaneAria on Twitter? She may see the thread on 3DO Zone, but I'm not sure if she's been around lately, so perhaps it's a fine idea to reach out via social media:

https://twitter.com/ArcaneAriaGame

BTW Russian hackers have been very active on the 3DO -- the system had a sort of second life in Russia, thanks to old stock being sold there (possibly unsold Korean systems?). They've translated the digital manga Takeru, which sounds like it was very labor-intensive (manual editing of numerous images), and it appears there's a (partial?) Russian translation of the Director's Cut version of D. (EDIT: And there's a complete Russian translation of Sailor Moon too. Jeez, they've been busy!)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 06:46:27 pm by goldenband »

Arjak

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 04:11:05 pm »
Cool! As a proud FZ-10 owner, I would be happy to help out with testing. I assisted ArcaneAria with playtesting the Doctor Hauzer translation, and would love to do what I can to see more love thrown the 3DO's way.

BTW, if you figure out how to edit the videos on 3DO games, please let me know. That's the one thing we're stuck on with the Doctor Hauzer translation.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2018, 05:39:53 pm »
Cool! As a proud FZ-10 owner, I would be happy to help out with testing. I assisted ArcaneAria with playtesting the Doctor Hauzer translation, and would love to do what I can to see more love thrown the 3DO's way.

Great, I already mentioned the main issue I'm having right now, which is how to make the game work on an unhacked BIOS. I know Doctor Hauzer works, so if you could find out the exact method, that'd be awesome. :) Of course you could test it yourself when it's done, too, though I have a 3DO myself so it's not essential. ;)

BTW, if you figure out how to edit the videos on 3DO games, please let me know. That's the one thing we're stuck on with the Doctor Hauzer translation.

It seems to me that this is still an issue. Using ZStream Chunks Reader, I was able to rip a handful of the video files, but the audio doesn't work. This is a bit of a pity, because that's the only thing I'd need to change. :) We'll just have to make do with the translation of what the girls are saying in the text file that comes with the patch.

While I'm here, have a pic. :D This is the actual picture file that I've edited, rather than a screenshot from the emulator, but you get the idea (it looks the same in the emulator).

Arjak

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2018, 09:06:08 pm »