News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Help with Daxter fonts.  (Read 929 times)

caws

• View Profile
Help with Daxter fonts.
« on: March 31, 2017, 10:05:58 pm »
Hello everyone,

I recently decided to translate this game, and while I was able to figure most of the inner workings of the game,
the fonts are still a big challenge to me.

Can anyone help me out?

I'll leave the file here: https://mega.nz/#!5F0UVRxS!gdDG419O_lO4tulC2Tzerpw5eypI1F-9axMqQGGoI4I
All I know about it is that it is a 16bpp, but I simply can't find a way to make it look crisp enough to be editable.

This is what I got so far:

Thanks!!

April 02, 2017, 03:52:04 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Hello everyone,

I don't know if this helps or not, but I managed to extract the fonts while emulating the game (using PPSSPP GE Debugger).

Anyway, I'll leave them here as a reference.

upload image

Thank you.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 03:52:04 pm by caws »

caws

• View Profile
Re: Help with Daxter fonts.
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 10:27:22 am »
Well,

I've been trying to get this image to show up right on Tile Molester but so far I got nothing.

Tips, anyone?

RetroHelix

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2017, 12:55:07 pm »
Have a look at your file in a hexeditor. There is some data in the beginning that is not visible on the image you got from the emulator. So this must be some kind of header. It could be some metadata only but since its quite a big chunk of data I would guess its metadata and the palette of the image. Try to pick the RGB values for one pixel of your emulator image and look for these values in the palette. If you find one match my guess is right. Since you got an image with transparency the chances are high an alpha value is in the palette too (00 for "not transparent" FF for "fully transparent" or the other way around). You could try to get the number of colors the palette has by finding out how many colors your emulator image has. 256 maybe :)

I hope this helps a bit.

Mugi

• Personal text
    • View Profile
    • Blacklabel-translations
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2017, 01:42:03 pm »
this image is a 256 color indexed BGRA rawdata with 16x8 tiles interleave.

the palette offset is 0x20, and the data offset is 0x420.
the width of the image is at 0x0C and the height is at 0x10.

palette offset is written at 0x14
data start offset is written on 0x18

hope this helps.

edit: forgot to mention that the data itself is employing a standard swizzle, using the graphic data as is will result in this:

« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 02:10:16 pm by Mugi »
In PSP we trust.

caws

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2017, 04:28:18 pm »
Hello Mugi and RetroHelix.

Thank you for taking your time! I managed to view the font properly using these settings just today:

But Mugi, you went beyond what I got. Thank you very much. I'll try to do it the way you explained and see the results.

Thank you folks.   :)