News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: A way to play Might & Magic 1 US on PAL NES with Everdive?  (Read 1214 times)

Prock78

• View Profile
A way to play Might & Magic 1 US on PAL NES with Everdive?
« on: March 26, 2017, 05:03:06 pm »
Hello!
I got an Everdrive N8 for my PAL NES a few weeks ago, and I would like to play the game "Might and Magic: The Secret of the Inner Sanctum" on it, but unfortunately the US rom doesn't launch... I guess there must be some kind of protection to avoid the US version to launch on a PAL console. I tried the Japanese version of the game and it works well, but of course the in-game texts are in Japanese that I don't understand. Unfortunately, this game had never been released in Europe.
I tried to open both US and Japanese games (no-intro roms) in a hex editor, but I'm a total newbie in hacking and I don't know much about hex editing, so I just noticed some parts are identical, and many parts are totally different... but I don't know what to do exactly...
Is there a way to:
- remove the region protection in the US rom so that it could launch on my PAL NES like the Japanese rom? (I think that would be the easiest way)
OR
- copy the English text of the US rom and paste it over the text of the Japanese version (this seems very difficult to me...)
OR
- is there a patch out there that would translate the Japanese rom into English (but I didn't find one)

Thank you very much!  :)

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
Re: A way to play Might & Magic 1 US on PAL NES with Everdive?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 07:04:06 pm »
INTERESTING!

I love little challenges like this.

The game does not have explicit region protection -- it's just sloppy programming.  There's a point in the game shortly after startup where it enables NMIs (before it's ready to have an NMI trigger).  On NTSC an NMI doesn't happen for quite some time after it's enabled, but on PAL, due to the different frame timing, it happens immediately which ends up crashing the game.

Using some 6502 magic I was able to fix it enough to get into the game, but I didn't test it much more than that.

Here's a patch:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f26jrkr0f2990lk/mightnmagic.ips?dl=0

Prock78

• View Profile
Re: A way to play Might & Magic 1 US on PAL NES with Everdive?
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 02:19:06 am »
I'm sorry I didn't understand much of what you said but thanks a lot for the patch!  :thumbsup:
I'll try it tonight and I'll tell you if it works fine on my Everdrive! Thanks again!  :)

March 27, 2017, 05:25:27 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Hey!
I've played the patched US rom during nearly 1 hour and it seems to work flawlessly! :thumbsup:
Thank you very much Disch!  :)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 05:25:27 pm by Prock78 »