News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: PAL --> NTSC Patches -- Master List  (Read 8968 times)

GhostlyDark

• View Profile
PAL --> NTSC Patches -- Master List
« on: March 24, 2017, 10:03:10 am »
Link to compatability list with utilities and patches:
https://evilgames.eu/emulation.htm#snes-ntsc-patches

UPDATE: 13 April 2018
Updated the collection to feature one patch per game version. This way the compatibility table is no longer needed, thus making it easier to patch whatever ROM. Batch script for patching whole ROM collections fast has been included. Changed the above link to point directly to the updated version of the website as well.

UPDATE: 02 April 2017
With the help of rainponcho any PAL ROM can now be converted to 60Hz. Nasty region lockouts are no more! Further, rainponcho did also fix the music timing issues in both ActRaiser and ActRaiser 2. The downloadable archive on my website has been updated, containing all the new stuff. The NTSC patches for ActRaiser and ActRaiser 2 on RHDN are also being updated any minute.

Why did you do that?
Due to users asking for specific game patches and how to create them yourself, I decided to create a compatability list, which helps you to convert your ROM into NTSC. The linked page includes a download option, which contains patches for converting almost any PAL game into NTSC, utilites for and information on how to create them yourself (do not spam them on RHDN!). The master list should cover all PAL ROMs.

Patches?
For games that lock you out from playing in 60 FPS, I included specific patches, that remove the region lock and change the region of the ROM to USA (=NTSC=60FPS). For games that do not trigger a region lock, use either "LoROM to NTSC" or "HiROM to NTSC". To find out what type of ROM a game is, check the compatability list. NOTE: The patches are for headerless ROMs only. I used No-Intro for creating the patches, but they should work on any ROM, even hacked ones.

Any downsides? What about reasons?
Though many NTSC patched PAL ROMs work just fine, you should definitely avoid NTSC patching and rather use a real NTSC version. Timings can be off and gameplay and/or music could run too fast. Glitches might also occur that can be game breaking (e.g. Donkey Kong Country 2). For reasons on why you should prefer a PAL version over NTSC, look up for regional differences. You may leave a message here on how well certain games work, but I WON'T be able to fix any problems that occur due to the change. Also, if you don't know why you should use any of these, please ignore them.

Feel free to give feedback, ask questions and report anything I messed up.

Here is an abstract of the readme file on how NTSC patching works:
In either 7FD9 (LoROM) or FFD9 (HiROM) the destination code is stored (assuming a headerless ROM). NTSC patches set the destination code to 01. This is all and is pretty much what emulators do, when you force a ROM into NTSC mode.

ZSNES: set checkbox on ROM load ("Force NTSC")
Snes9x: copy "NTSC = TRUE" into [ROM] section of snes9x.conf

Most games do not trigger a regional lockout upon forcing NTSC mode, but there are many games that do. For removing a region lock, SNESTool is the most reliable and ucon64 did it's job on a couple of games. Both tools are included.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 11:20:54 am by GhostlyDark »

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
Re: PAL --> NTSC Patches -- Master List
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 06:48:33 pm »
Would still be better if it listed reasons why anyone might prefer the PAL versions to their NTSC counterparts.
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

GhostlyDark

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2017, 06:13:05 am »
Would still be better if it listed reasons why anyone might prefer the PAL versions to their NTSC counterparts.

As I mentioned, you generally shouldn't prefer PAL over NTSC. Nobody is going to play through all PAL ROMs in NTSC mode to see if everything works fine.
Also, there are sometimes bigger and sometimes minor changes to European versions. Listing them all would be overkill and way too much work. Do not forget, that there might be hacks now and in the future, that are for a PAL version only, whatever the reason might be (e.g. Tetris & Dr. Mario: SRAM Patch, translations based on European versions).
If you don't have a reason to use a PAL ROM, don't use it. If you're fine with using a NTSC version, just stick to it.

Where to look up regional differences: https://tcrf.net/Category:Games_with_regional_differences

Here is a list with games that have been released in Europe/Australia but not in the US:
Source: retrocollect.com/

90 Minutes: European Prime Goal
Archer Maclean's Super Dropzone
Astérix
Astérix & Obélix
Cannon Fodder
Daze Before Christmas
Dino Dini's Soccer
Dirt Racer
Dragon Ball Z
Dragon Ball Z: Hyper Dimension
Dragon Ball Z: La Legende SAIEN
Dragon Ball Z: Ultime Menace
F1 Pole Position 2
F1 World Championship Edition
FIFA Road to World Cup 98
The Firemen
Hebereke's Popoitto
Hebereke's Popoon
The Humans
Hungry Dinosaurs
Jelly Boy
Kick Off
Kick Off 3: European Challenge
Lucky Luke
Manchester United Championship Soccer
Marko's Magic Football
Mega-Lo-Mania
Micro Machines 2: Turbo Tournament
Might and Magic II
Operation Starfish
Parodius
Player Manager (Kevin Keegan’s)
Pop'n TwinBee
Pop'n TwinBee: Rainbow Bell Adventures
Populous II: Trials of the Olympian Gods
Power Drive
PowerMonger
Putty Squad
Sailormoon
Sensible Soccer: European Champions
Smash Tennis
The Smurfs
The Smurfs: Travel the World
Spirou
Super Bomberman 3
Super Dany
Super Ice Hockey
Super International Cricket
Super Morph
Syvalion
Terranigma
Theme Park
Tintin in Prisoners of the Sun
Tintin in Tibet
Turbo Toons
Virtual Soccer
Waterworld
Whirlo
Winter Gold
World Class Rugby
World Masters Golf: Competition Edition
Worms

VicVergil

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2017, 08:18:39 am »

Bugfixes, extra languages, and occasionally extra content.
For example, Secret of Mana and Lufia 2 have a few bugfixes exclusives to the PAL versions.
There's also PAL-exclusive translations of JP games.

GhostlyDark, you might want to add Secret of Mana and Terranigma to the list of slightly PAL-optimised games. In both of them, there's introduction sequences (the attract mode in TN, the title screen and backstory sequence in SoM) that goes out of sync with the music.

GhostlyDark

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2017, 01:15:08 pm »
GhostlyDark, you might want to add Secret of Mana and Terranigma to the list of slightly PAL-optimised games. In both of them, there's introduction sequences (the attract mode in TN, the title screen and backstory sequence in SoM) that goes out of sync with the music.

Thank you, I updated the readme file including your suggestion. I also added the Europe only list which I previously posted and additional information on how the Tetris & Dr. Mario patch has been created (this one's special, extra utility for this included) among some minor changes.

rainponcho

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2017, 11:37:05 am »
Lytron PM mentioned that a NTSC version of "Tetris & Dr. Mario SRAM patch" will also be made in April. :)

SC

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2017, 03:59:30 pm »
Lufia (spanish edition) as NTSC also de-syncs (and re-syncs waiting for music) during intro sequence.

rainponcho

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2017, 04:19:39 pm »
ActRaiser Europe - mode7 NTSC timing fix (tester patch).
https://www.sendspace.com/file/avwlrj

Combines GhostlyDark's NTSC work, except I didn't re-fix the checksum.

At least I think it works correctly. If this looks right everywhere, I'll dig into fixing ActRaiser 2 Mode7 also.

GhostlyDark

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2017, 10:04:35 am »
ActRaiser Europe - mode7 NTSC timing fix (tester patch).
https://www.sendspace.com/file/avwlrj

Combines GhostlyDark's NTSC work, except I didn't re-fix the checksum.

At least I think it works correctly. If this looks right everywhere, I'll dig into fixing ActRaiser 2 Mode7 also.

Maybe it's just me, but i am not able to spot a difference. I actually do not recognize any of those desyncs mentioned, so I am probably nonsensitive to it or something...
Have tested the tester patch both on ZSNES and higan. Nethertheless, I appreciate your work.

rainponcho

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2017, 03:45:33 pm »
When PAL game is forced into NTSC mode, intro spin animation before entering a dungeon finishes in maybe ~6 seconds. Even when the screen is black, the crescendo keeps playing for another second. And then drops off.

Normal PAL and NTSC finish in ~7 seconds. Crescendo stops right around when the screen turns off. And then drops off.

Was testing this on snes9x and bsnes-plus. So maybe a bit emulator related also. Although I'm a little uncertain and hope someone else tries it to be sure.

Have an idea how to fix ActRaiser 2 also (audio timing desync for PAL edition).

edit:
ActRaiser ntsc w/fix (done)
https://www.sendspace.com/file/t3n1jv

ActRaiser 2 is working but I'd like to tweak the animation some more first before release.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 11:19:21 pm by rainponcho »

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2017, 12:11:16 am »
Bugfixes, extra languages, and occasionally extra content.
For example, Secret of Mana and Lufia 2 have a few bugfixes exclusives to the PAL versions.
There's also PAL-exclusive translations of JP games.

But how are we to know about these things without playing every version of a game for ourselves or having to consult something like TCRF? That's what I'm talking about here. If the PAL version of something is superior it would be nice to know why so that I might play that version instead. Otherwise, what incentive would I have to download any of these? Not really trying to knock these hacks, I'm just struggling to understand why most of them exist.

PS: The Firemen rulz. :)
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

rainponcho

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2017, 08:32:31 am »
ActRaiser PAL is summed up here. Which covers everything just about.
https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/563502-actraiser/57028409

Summary:
Refined difficulty selection
Restored animations cut from USA

=====================================

edit:
ActRaiser 2 (Europe) - GhostlyDark 60Hz Europe w/ stage intro re-timing
https://www.sendspace.com/file/ti6rel

Only difference I know of between ActRaiser2 Europe and USA:
- NTSC timed the music to fully stop right when you hit the ground. Crescendo stops surprisingly early.

- PAL devs re-timed the animation to hit the ground when the crescendo stops (like it does in ActRaiser 1).

If there aren't any more changes between USA and Europe, I can make patches for USA / Japan to re-sync the animation timing to ActRaiser 1 style. It feels kinda awkward and makes sense why the Europe devs changed it back to "normal" - more dramatic that way.

But how are we to know about these things without playing every version of a game for ourselves or having to consult something like TCRF?

Don't think any site is going to mention 60 Hz PAL glitches. So I guess it's up to future gamers to report problems. If they come around here. Although even simple re-timing fixes are a pain so far. :)

Well actually there's the useful site in OP. ;)

Mmmm... region locks. Both Tintin games?? 60 Hz temptation.....

=====================================

edit:
Boots in-game play. Hopefully they didn't add more region checks.

Code: [Select]
tintin in tibet PAL

$83/D04A AD 3F 21    LDA $213F  [$00:213F]   A:0000 X:00FF Y:0000 P:envmxdIZC
$83/D04D 29 FF 00    AND #$00FF              A:01A3 X:00FF Y:0000 P:envmxdIzC
$83/D050 89 10 00    BIT #$0010              A:00A3 X:00FF Y:0000 P:envmxdIzC
$83/D053 D0 69       BNE $69    [$D0BE]      A:00A3 X:00FF Y:0000 P:envmxdIZC
==> 80 69  [pal]

rom 1D053

tintin - prisoners of sun PAL

$82/D314 AD 3F 21    LDA $213F  [$00:213F]   A:0000 X:00FF Y:0000 P:envmxdIZC
$82/D317 29 FF 00    AND #$00FF              A:0183 X:00FF Y:0000 P:envmxdIzC
$82/D31A 89 10 00    BIT #$0010              A:0083 X:00FF Y:0000 P:envmxdIzC
$82/D31D D0 69       BNE $69    [$D388]      A:0083 X:00FF Y:0000 P:envmxdIZC
==> 80 69  [pal]

rom 1531D
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 08:47:43 pm by rainponcho »

matt!

• JUS4QIX
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2018, 06:11:39 pm »
Thanks for these patches!

I use them on my SNES Mini via hakchi2.

With regards to the Winter Gold, the patch enables the game to boot on NTSC devices (the SNES mini is one, in all regions). However the timing of the game is off, the computer players times are unbeatable. If I speed up the FX chip in the game through emulation by x1.25 or maybe x1.5 then their times become approachable. So this makes me think that CPU "ai" (time generator) code would need to be changed (slowed down) by a similar factor as the increased speed of the game.

Shall I post a new thread about this?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 11:57:26 am by matt! »

goldenband

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2018, 12:02:13 pm »
With regards to the Winter Gold, the patch enables the game to boot on NTSC devices (the SNES mini is one, in all regions). However the timing of the game is off, the computer players times are unbeatable. If I speed up the FX chip in the game through emulation by x1.25 or maybe x1.5 then their times become approachable. So this makes me think that CPU "ai" (time generator) code would need to be changed (slowed down) by a similar factor as the increased speed of the game.

That's very interesting! I've been meaning to import Winter Gold for some time (I have the Pro Action Replay revision that boots PAL imports) but if it doesn't play properly at 60Hz that's important information. I'd be glad to read any further information you find out about this.

A couple other notes about PAL>NTSC patches:

• There are dozens of them over at AtariAge for the entire library of PAL exclusives on the Atari 2600.

• The danger of crashes and weird behavior from 50Hz games played at 60Hz is underestimated. For example, the first Smurfs game on Genesis/Mega Drive can slow down massively or even crash in one of the last stages if you use certain attacks -- and the second Smurfs game will always crash in the third stage at 60Hz.

• In that vein, I started a thread on Sega-16 about glitches in PAL games played at 60Hz. Issues include screen rolling, messed-up sound or glitched graphics, and obscure crashes like the ones in the Smurfs games. OTOH Soleil works fine as long as you don't try to use a real cart.