News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: New Translations Added to the Database  (Read 4048 times)

RHDNBot

Translations: New Translations Added to the Database
« on: March 20, 2017, 11:46:45 pm »

Update By: RHDNBot

This is an automated message generated by ROMhacking.net's RHDNBot.

The following Translations have been submitted and approved to the database (in submitted order oldest to newest):

Relevant Link

Isao Kronos

• View Profile
Re: Translations: New Translations Added to the Database
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 11:49:39 pm »
tbh doesn't the berseria translation violate in a roundabout way the "no current gen" rule

xnamkcor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 11:59:40 pm »
tbh doesn't the berseria translation violate in a roundabout way the "no current gen" rule

Only if I've slipped into some alternate dimension or time before the PS4 existed.

assassin

• View Profile
    • My Barren Webpage
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 04:51:50 am »
hence the "roundabout way" qualifier.  reading comprehension.  or are they paying you by the glib rather than by the insight?

if the translation is for a game released in 2016, including on target platforms which are current generation, it might well in spirit violate such a rule.

Burnt Lasagna

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 08:34:03 am »
The rule only mentions current generation platforms.
The game itself is new-ish, however, the platform itself is over a decade old and being officially discontinued in Japan (US & PAL will most likely follow soon).

I don't think Bandia feels threatened by a PS3 patch, for their 6 month old game, which can only be played by the gated CFW community. 

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 12:54:24 pm »
I don't think Bandia feels threatened by a PS3 patch, for their 6 month old game, which can only be played by the gated CFW community.

Having actually worked on Berseria for Namco, I feel the need to point out that even though the game itself is six months old, the US release is less than two. That's what this potentially damages - people who can play the game in English on PS3 unofficially are less likely to buy the game on PS4 or on Steam.

Burnt Lasagna

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 02:16:46 pm »
I feel the need to point out that even though the game itself is six months old, the US release is less than two.
For some reason, I thought Berseria was released state-side the week it hit Japan...instead it was January 24th, 2017.

I guess this patch does straddle the line here.

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 07:02:48 pm »
I think one determined enough would pirate the Steam version, before buying the game and CFW-ing their PS3.

Alcahest

• Demon of Elru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 11:41:20 pm »
Why on earth, for the love of all that's holy and logic, was the japanese button mapping altered for Berseria?
It's horrible enough when Sony enforces it officially, to see that done by fans boggles my mind ^^;
Unless the pictures were taken on a US PS3 and this game sets button mapping versus system region?

Burnt Lasagna

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2017, 01:38:03 pm »
Unless the pictures were taken on a US PS3 and this game sets button mapping versus system region?
I believe it was taken on a western region PS3. The readme doesn't mention any changes to the button mapping.
Unless I'm mistaken, most games (maybe all?) auto toggle the "confirm" button based on the region of your console. You can even modify this setting in CFWs (make circle "confirm" on US console).

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2017, 07:02:59 pm »
A few strange games like Ridge Racer 7 break from tradition by using the language option for its button mapping, instead of the system region.

I've always assumed Sony's intended standard is that the confirm/cancel buttons should match the region the game was intended to be sold in. Rather than involve any detection. Unless I'm mistaken?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 07:10:58 pm by tc »

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2017, 10:20:00 pm »
I don't get why Berseria PS3 version was even translated, I don't see much benefit from it due to lesser graphics unless people wanted to play the uncensored version (which only one thing was censored I think), and re-worked translation text (which I'll be fair to that since some official translations are not very great).

Alcahest

• Demon of Elru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2017, 07:10:27 am »
I believe it was taken on a western region PS3. The readme doesn't mention any changes to the button mapping.
Ok great, thought maybe the group who implemented the translation hardcoded the west mapping style.

A few strange games like Ridge Racer 7 break from tradition by using the language option for its button mapping, instead of the system region.
Yes, RR7 is like this because the button mapping behavior wasn't implemented at launch. It came later officially in Sony TRCs, around may 2007 I believe.

I've always assumed Sony's intended standard is that the confirm/cancel buttons should match the region the game was intended to be sold in. Rather than involve any detection. Unless I'm mistaken?
That was pre-PS3 yes, button mapping hardcoded in games. Then on PS3, they enforced the behavior should be based on system region (absolutely beautiful). On PS4, huuuge step back, it's again hardcoded in games. Who knows, maybe later it'll be re-introduced in the TRCs..
Such a clusterfuck when 0 change was needed in the first place.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 07:16:47 am by Alcahest »

Burnt Lasagna

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2017, 08:44:08 am »
I don't get why Berseria PS3 version was even translated, I don't see much benefit from it due to lesser graphics [...]
Seeing as how this is a port of the PC's translation, the amount of work involved here probably subsidized the creation of the patch.
Besides, this should make fans of the PS3 happy.