News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Help with Adding Custom NES music to an NES Rom hack?  (Read 1898 times)

Horrorfreak106

• View Profile
Help with Adding Custom NES music to an NES Rom hack?
« on: March 04, 2017, 02:07:33 pm »
Hello all! I'm new to this forum and interested in ROM hacking. One of my favorite ROM hacks is "Castlevania Overflow of Darkness" It's a really great hack with awesome custom graphics/sprites, but one of it's biggest downfalls is the lack of custom music. So I was wondering if there is a way to insert custom NES music in the ROM hack, or if it's too complicated (Since I'm not very tech savvy) I was wondering if anyone out there was willing to lend me a hand in this little project. Thanks.

Sliver X

• der Wille zur Macht
    • View Profile
    • Panicus - A Fragment of Memory
Re: Help with Adding Custom NES music to an NES Rom hack?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 02:13:30 pm »
I did a fair bit of documentation regarding Castlevania's music engine.

It's not overly complicated to deal with. It's an expanded version of the engine used in Gradius, and shares a ton in common with Simon's Quest's data format.

A practical example of hacking it can be found here, though it sounds nicer because I also had access to a VRC6 engine Disch hacked into the game after converting it to said mapper.

Horrorfreak106

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 08:10:16 pm »
I did a fair bit of documentation regarding Castlevania's music engine.

It's not overly complicated to deal with. It's an expanded version of the engine used in Gradius, and shares a ton in common with Simon's Quest's data format.

A practical example of hacking it can be found here, though it sounds nicer because I also had access to a VRC6 engine Disch hacked into the game after converting it to said mapper.

Hmmm, sounds nice. But I'm assuming that this project is probably something that I got to figure out myself though  :o
But, if you happen to know anyone who can make custom music for it, that'd be great! I could even put in some incentives towards them if they want  :thumbsup:

HertzDevil

• 星の鼓動は愛
    • View Profile
    • GitHub
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 04:03:26 am »
I did.

The entire inserter is available on my GitHub. (I also made a thread somewhere here, I just have not updated it in months.) If you have Lua, you can readily insert custom music into the ROMs listed here. The only thing lacking here is the documentation for Castlevania's MML engine definition, but those who have done a bit of music hacking before should be able to figure out how to write the MML files for Castlevania.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 04:51:51 am by HertzDevil »
Constructing Chiptune; Construing 8-Bit. Makes a generic MML compiler in Lua.