News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Mega Man 7 Gets the Upgrade It Deserves  (Read 12456 times)

johnm

• The Idea man
    • View Profile
Re: ROM Hacks: Mega Man 7 Gets the Upgrade It Deserves
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2017, 02:56:42 pm »
Oh ok. Are you going to incorporate that into your version?

Josephine Lithius

• THE WORLD IS MINE!!
    • View Profile
    • Jo Li KMC @ Tumblr
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2017, 12:23:39 am »
Whew!  That's quite a few posts, I have to say!

I'm glad the general consensus of the patch is that it does indeed improve the game, even with the more questionable choices (like changing the fonts or removing the charge sparks).  As I said... uh... somewhere, I'm sure, this patch started out as a simple "decrease the charge shot time/increase the I-frames time" patch, but as ideas kept popping into my head, it just kind of kept growing into the patch it is today.  That being said, I'm really glad feedback has been so positive!  I was really worried people wouldn't like it, but feedback has been really encouraging!

Now then, let's talk about some of these suggestions!
**Long post warning!!**

-The biggest problem with this game is; (though this might not be possible,but if you can,) make the game more zoom out than it is, like in the nes games.

-Slightly alter Mega Mans sprite to make him slightly more skinnier and smaller, while keeping the serious nostalgic Snes 7 look. Doing the same with the enemies, give some classic enemies from the nes, more high quality, slightly refined, skinnier, smaller looks, like the old, but made new with SNES sprites. (This may be hard to accomplish).
**A perfect example of this is batton, from the nes series made anew with 16bits sprites in MegaMan X
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/VMXbEz9mGQs/hqdefault.jpg

-Give some stage areas more space, and make the boss rooms slightly more bigger.
It's absolutely true that Mega Man 7, like most Super NES games, uses the exact same screen resolution as the NES games (256 x 224 pixels) and that, compared to the originals, the Super graphics are roughly double-sized and look a bit... clunky?  It's kind of like playing the Game Boy games on a Super Game Boy... except that the companies that made those games actually made some appropriate changes to accommodate for the significantly smaller playing field.  But I think Bregalad said it best...
I agree but that's basically asking for a brand new game, and this has already been done with a fan-made "Rockman 7 FC" game for Windows/PC.
Plus, as gauchomax said, it would be a huge headache to rescale everything, what with having to fix the collision/hitboxes, accommodate for the altered physics, and so forth.  In short, it goes beyond the scope of the hack's concept just a wee bit...!

-Replace the health bars with the classic ones from the nes series.
I'm not sure why I didn't just pop the tops and bottoms off the health/energy meters, come to think of it...  They're pretty boring as they are and since weapon icons aren't a thing, they really serve no practical purpose (though they do look kind of neat).

-Make the weapon menu more classic and refined, being more zoomed out like the nes.
I'm not saying this isn't a possibility, but again, it goes a little beyond the original scope...  That and I'm not talented enough to rearrange things properly.
(If I were, certain letters in the menu screen wouldn't still be wedged together!  Lookin' at you, Wild Coil!)

-Replace the boss menu(stage select) with a slightly more classic one.
I'm not sure what you mean here... but I guess you mean enable all eight bosses from the get-go?  That seems possible.  I mean, the menu loads the last four bosses once the "stages beaten" counter hits a certain number, so it should be as "easy" as finding that value, finding out what that value triggers, and having that enabled from the start (after the intro stage?).  Kind of failed to find said value when I gave a whirl just now, but I probably wasn't searching for the right things...

-Make the slide and jump more smoother, like the nes ones.
I'm not sure what you mean here, either.  The jump and slide work like they do in the NES titles, as far as I can tell... but upscaled because of the larger graphics.

-Make Burst Man and Junk Man more harder (and any other ones that are easy, I can't recall).
I'm not sure they really need it...  All the Robot Masters are pretty easy once you get the patterns down -- at least in my opinion.  Slashman is really the only wild card because of his random goo-bomb placement and his "maybe he will, maybe he won't" diving slash... but if you're really good at pressing buttons fast, you can shake off/out of those things.

**Mega Man 7 is notorious for having one of the hardest final boss in video game history. Don't nerf Wily. Just make him slightly more fair to avoid. Slightly. Ironically the stages are the easiest in the entire franchise probably. Add more enemies to stages to slightly increase the difficulty.
Am I the only one who doesn't have any problem with the Wily Capsule?  I personally have a lot more trouble with the ones from earlier games -- particularly if they have a spiral energy ball attack.  Though admittedly... I did end up doing something...
Spoiler:
namely, increasing the damage from Wild Coil
... because I find the fight a little tedious.  Still, though, I do hear that people find that boss fight to be ridiculously hard.  So let me run this idea by anyone who's interested:
How about I look into changing how Wily's four projectiles work?  Specifically, the fire, ice, and energy ones he fires when he appears.  The idea I have in mind is to either increase the movement delay... or decrease the speed (but keep the range).

If anyone has any more specific suggestions about this, please do say something!  This feels like it should be an easy fix, once we find the right values, depending on what's being done.[

*Battery Backed Saving, codes are annoying and Capcom only did it because they were too cheap at the time.
I think that might be do-able, but I'm not sure how to do it, myself.  I'd need some help from someone who's worked with adding battery backup to non-battery games. (And even then, it'd probably work like Mega Man X3 on the PS1, but with only one save slot...?)

*Switch to Rush Items via L & R buttons, this always bugged me, the weapons can be scrolled through, why not the items?
The only problem I see with this is the fact that Rush Coil, Jet, and Search, and the Super Adaptor all use the exact same Megaman/energy meter palette (or lack thereof).  But as with other suggestions, this seems perfectly do-able by changing an appropriate value. (In this case, the value that tells the Quick Select to roll back to $00/$08, depending on which way you're going.)

*Cut-Scene/dialog skip via start button, this is one game I find myself unconsciously jamming the start button trying to just 'get to the game already'.
I've already implemented this feature to all cutscenes possible (the sole exceptions being the first part of the intro stage live cutscene, due to time-sensitive events).  Holding any button will speed the text up, but holding Start will basically skip it.  It's not instant like in Rockman & Forte, but it's as good as I can do for the moment. (Though that's certainly something to look into...)

*All eight robot masters available at start, I think there's even a code for this one.
See above.

Can we have "Dr. Willy" fixed?
I left that and "Iɢᴏɴɴᴀ ᴅᴏ [...]" to keep a certain "90s translation authenticity" to it... but, give how much of the text I messed with elsewhere, I probably should fix this/these Capcom-made typo/s.

Mega Man holding out his buster while charged looks a bit goofy.
I agree.  However, Megaman not holding his arm out while charging during the ending somehow looks goofier.  Still, I'll see what I can do. (I'm sure there's a way to call the proper animation for that specific scene...)

If you want to make the Robot Masters harder, you could do what RM7FC did and remove the special weakness animations.
That's not a bad idea, actually.  Stun-locking bosses really makes them a breeze.  Though... removing it would remove a part of what made the game stand out...  I'll give it some thought.

Also, a couple of other things I found amusing (and correct):
Megaman 7 is a Staple of the MM series, not a Stable.
As soon as I read the news post (once it was up), I noticed that flub.  And I felt great shame.

Yes, I agree the hack's title is pretentious compared to what the hack seems to actually do (hence my 1st comment).
I'm not sure if you mean the title of the news article (which does try and "hard sell" the hack) or the actual name of the hack, "Refit."
For the former, I dunno...  I agree both pages do feel a bit pretentious in hindsight.  I think it's because I kinda got nervous when writing and ended up turning both the news and the hack page into all "razzle-dazzle."  This was something I was genuinely proud of and really wanted people to share in my happiness, but at the same time, I really worried that people would hate it because it changed so much.  So... there's that.
As for the latter?  Well, the idea there is that Megaman is "refit" with better charge time and I-frames.  Plus, it fit really well within the limited space I had to work with on the title screen (since I didn't know how to tile edit screens).  Sure beats the previous title ("Retrograde") by far...

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions!  And as Capcom always said, "Thank you for playing!"  I'll be sure to update this thread if (when?) I make any significant updates.

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2017, 03:36:07 am »
Cloud Man's weakness could use tuning. If timed too well, you can interrupt the attack and send him straight back to the ground again and again.

johnm

• The Idea man
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2017, 01:02:15 pm »
Glad to see you're hearing our suggestions and taking them into consideration.

-The idea I have for Wily is to increase the movement delay of the projectiles slightly but don't increase the Wild coil damage, leaving it at default, the reason being for this is that the fight will probably be too easy or even medium, which will remove the notoriety of the fight, because a hard boss is always better and more epic than an easy one espec. in megaman where the final bosses are endurance fights, but the increase in delay will make the fight fairly hard rather than unfair brutality.

-For the boss animations I think you should come to a compromise, keep the boss animations but change the physics, meaning the animation would show, but it wouldn't effect or slow them down, they wouldn't stop their attack, but I don't know how hard this would be for you to change this.

-Yeah if you do change megaman's charge animation to not have his arming holding out, which he shouldn't be holding out, you still should keep the default ending with him holding out his arm to Wily.

-There are various sections of levels where you go through empty rooms continuously with no enemies to sometimes only a lone Sniper joe, So: to increase the action and kill the boredom I recommend you put more enemies in the empty places, with your creativity but making the enemy placements fair and reasonable, and will not only make the game feel like its not the easiest in the series, but will be on par with the difficulty of the bosses.

***Also

I have an added bonus idea that would really make this hack popular and put it into the top five hacks, along with Parallel Worlds.

The idea I have is for Bass to be playable once you beat the game for the first time, because upon finishing that insanely hard pod-Wily and finishing those awesome credits I feel their should have been some sort of bonus.

**Upon resetting the game, once you enter "game start", you enter the 2 player mode found by entering a code here, with a slight redesign: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJQnUtk0no4
-When you select Bass you would play as him, like how the second player plays as Bass in the Pvp but gets transported to be playeable in the stages, but doesn't have the intro or mid stages, as this wouldn't make sense storywise.

-Yes I also know there's an ongoing Megaman Bass hack, but the difference is that they are recreating the whole thing in Bass's image with custom made cutscenes, but the thing is that for the character; they've just re-sprited him, which is not the same as playing as the actual character, (not trying to discredit them.) If you can that is implement this in the near future if possible.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 12:57:26 pm by johnm »