News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: DSVania Editor (v1.11.0)  (Read 194924 times)

Masked Dedede

• what
    • View Profile
    • YouTube:
Re: DSVania Editor (v1.10.0)
« Reply #540 on: November 24, 2020, 07:19:38 pm »
Alright, many thanks. :woot!:
Bottom Text

Serbagz

• View Profile
« Reply #541 on: November 25, 2020, 05:08:07 am »
Hey Lago, I noticed that in DoS there isn't a counter for the Map tiles in the map editor like there is for OoE and PoR. Is there a limit to how many rooms I can add?

also regarding the strange behavior with the maps I mentioned before...I still struggle to create them from scratch in dos. Most blank rooms don't come with a usable or workable tileset atleast in the Abyss anyways, collision too. When I do manage to get a blank room with some tiles the collision doesn't work and I fall through the floor. Manually punching in these pointers helps sometimes but I still get really odd behavior. An example of a blank rooms tileset in the abyss

Regarding the bestiary portraits and there palettes in DoS, would u happen to have the pointers for these documented somewhere? I did dig around and found most of just there locations but no palettes.

Also I absolutely adore the new menu editor really awesome stuff, will you be adding more menus to it soon?

tavs7

• View Profile
« Reply #542 on: November 28, 2020, 02:45:07 pm »
Hi, Lago. In the lastest version when we try to change the tileset this happens

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
Re: DSVania Editor (v1.10.1)
« Reply #543 on: November 28, 2020, 05:54:33 pm »
DSVEdit 1.10.1 is out with some fixes and more sprites.

Hey Lago, I noticed that in DoS there isn't a counter for the Map tiles in the map editor like there is for OoE and PoR. Is there a limit to how many rooms I can add?

There's no limit for the games before PoR. PoR and OoE use a different map system.

also regarding the strange behavior with the maps I mentioned before...I still struggle to create them from scratch in dos. Most blank rooms don't come with a usable or workable tileset atleast in the Abyss anyways, collision too. When I do manage to get a blank room with some tiles the collision doesn't work and I fall through the floor. Manually punching in these pointers helps sometimes but I still get really odd behavior. An example of a blank rooms tileset in the abyss

It defaults to copying the tileset from the first room in the current sector. For 1.10.1 I just added an exception so it copies from the second room in the Abyss since the first room's tileset is basically an empty dummy.

If the collision isn't working after manually copying the tileset pointer, you should copy the collision tileset pointer too. Collision is a separate tileset from the visual tileset.

Regarding the bestiary portraits and there palettes in DoS, would u happen to have the pointers for these documented somewhere? I did dig around and found most of just there locations but no palettes.

Added the bestiary images for DoS and PoR for 1.10.1.

Also I absolutely adore the new menu editor really awesome stuff, will you be adding more menus to it soon?

I added 2 more menus for DoS to it for 1.10.1, the main menu top screen and the info screen.
There aren't any menus I'm aware of that I haven't added already, so if you can think of any I'm forgetting let me know.

Hi, Lago. In the lastest version when we try to change the tileset this happens

Fixed that too.

Serbagz

• View Profile
« Reply #544 on: November 30, 2020, 04:33:14 pm »
Amazing updates lago, I really hate bothering you about little things lol. 

But there are minor things id like to report to you, like how Z-order changes upon export or reimport of players/monsters and makes hit/hurt boxes swap, I always go through and manually readjust them after editing a player character darkfunction (or monster) because my kick sprites always mess up.

The actual text in the weapon synthesis menu id like to have the option to change, maybe I am just missing its location somewhere?

This top info screen blue background color, where would I go to adjust that?
EDIT: Found it on the first color slot of the palette used for the newly added top screen stuff in the menu editor, awesome! :)

I recently remapped the Abyss and have a slight issue in a few rooms where my background layers either go black or go green
Here is the abyss now: (is there a palette somewhere in dsv for the top screen map btw?)

Its a big edit so I assume I probably ran out of freespace or something lol...here is an example of a bugged room

Layer 2 is completely black, but its 100% properly edited in tiled.
EDIT: Fixed this by moving the edits that are usually in layer 2 to layer 1 and clearing layer 2 along with the object that gives a visual effect to layer 1.

This started happening in one room in the lost village (only 1 that I know of so far in the whole castle) after my abyss edits.

Bottom half of the menu turns black in the room thats full of wargs.

I made an item and gave it the flag to resist curses BUT for some reason when I go to an enemy who curses I still get cursed. Is the curse resistance flag only working for the actual damage of the attack or something?

EDIT: Ok one last one, the bestiary sprites have a chance to crash dsv both in por and dos. It happens randomly when I swap between enemy sprites and Bestiary sprites too quickly. I know its not specifically my rom because it happens in POR as well. The console spews out like a bunch of stuff right before the crash.

I think thats most of my headaches atm lol. This is all for DoS as thats the game I mostly work in right now.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 03:18:16 pm by Serbagz »

Masked Dedede

• what
    • View Profile
    • YouTube:
« Reply #545 on: December 05, 2020, 11:00:28 pm »
So I've been trying to change some weapons' coordinates and hitbox placements to match better with the sprites, and when I try to import them from dFEditor, DSVEdit gives me an error message saying that there's no free space to be found, even with or without an overlay it sill gives me the same error. When I attempt to play the animation after trying to import it, it gives me the error saying "undefined method 'reverse' for nil:NilClass", and then it crashes when I try to save the changes.

Edit: Actually nevermind, I found out how to do it.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 11:01:09 am by Masked Dedede »
Bottom Text

csharporbflat

• View Profile
« Reply #546 on: December 11, 2020, 06:34:07 pm »
ok, I know that COTM rando was discussed a lot, and its under a different engine, blah blah blah. But lets assume for a minute that there is a table of items. given a 1 byte hex, 00-FF, I doubt there is more than 256 unique items in the game. It would seam to me that a rando could be created that would just swap those table values around. If you know the locations of stuff. Of course as far as generating logic, like needing the wall kick upgrade to be able to reach certain areas, or double jump to reach certain others. You would have to know the corresponding memory addresses of where each item is located. I do not know how to do that. I don't know anything about TASing, I would think that would need to be known to add any kind of logic, where if memory address X is available to reach from the begining to get Item Y, then Item Y would allow access to location Z. Can not something like that work here?

sorrow

• View Profile
« Reply #547 on: December 14, 2020, 04:25:54 am »
Hello Lago, I had a quick question regarding Castlevania Harmony of Dissonance, is there a way to be able to set music to play when entering the various Menu Screens rather than have them be silent?

Masked Dedede

• what
    • View Profile
    • YouTube:
« Reply #548 on: December 14, 2020, 06:30:04 pm »
Hello, I've been trying to modify the map tile color palette with the .asm patch for Dawn of Sorrow, everytime I do this it ends up doing nothing, I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but the only time I've seen it work is when DSVRandom applies it.

Also, is there a way to modify the Chaos Ring's MP restoration speed and the color of the blood particles?

Cheers!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2020, 03:52:09 pm by Masked Dedede »
Bottom Text

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
« Reply #549 on: December 26, 2020, 12:52:14 pm »
But there are minor things id like to report to you, like how Z-order changes upon export or reimport of players/monsters and makes hit/hurt boxes swap, I always go through and manually readjust them after editing a player character darkfunction (or monster) because my kick sprites always mess up.

Fixed.

The actual text in the weapon synthesis menu id like to have the option to change, maybe I am just missing its location somewhere?

Added to the other sprites list for the next version

I recently remapped the Abyss and have a slight issue in a few rooms where my background layers either go black or go green
Here is the abyss now: (is there a palette somewhere in dsv for the top screen map btw?)

Its a big edit so I assume I probably ran out of freespace or something lol...here is an example of a bugged room

Layer 2 is completely black, but its 100% properly edited in tiled.
EDIT: Fixed this by moving the edits that are usually in layer 2 to layer 1 and clearing layer 2 along with the object that gives a visual effect to layer 1.

This started happening in one room in the lost village (only 1 that I know of so far in the whole castle) after my abyss edits.

Bottom half of the menu turns black in the room thats full of wargs.

You can try PMing me your project so I can look into it

I made an item and gave it the flag to resist curses BUT for some reason when I go to an enemy who curses I still get cursed. Is the curse resistance flag only working for the actual damage of the attack or something?

It works fine for me. I gave a piece of armor resistance to curses and it both decreased the damage I take from Killer Dolls *and* stopped me from getting cursed.

EDIT: Ok one last one, the bestiary sprites have a chance to crash dsv both in por and dos. It happens randomly when I swap between enemy sprites and Bestiary sprites too quickly. I know its not specifically my rom because it happens in POR as well. The console spews out like a bunch of stuff right before the crash.

It doesn't crash for me but what I assume is happening is that Ruby's poor memory management and the fast loading and unloading of sprites is causing your computer to run out of memory so DSVEdit crashes. I've had out of memory crashes in other cases with DSVEdit, mostly if leaving it open and doing lots of things with it in a single session. Can't fix it, just remember to save frequently so you don't lose work.

ok, I know that COTM rando was discussed a lot, and its under a different engine, blah blah blah. But lets assume for a minute that there is a table of items. given a 1 byte hex, 00-FF, I doubt there is more than 256 unique items in the game. It would seam to me that a rando could be created that would just swap those table values around. If you know the locations of stuff. Of course as far as generating logic, like needing the wall kick upgrade to be able to reach certain areas, or double jump to reach certain others. You would have to know the corresponding memory addresses of where each item is located. I do not know how to do that. I don't know anything about TASing, I would think that would need to be known to add any kind of logic, where if memory address X is available to reach from the begining to get Item Y, then Item Y would allow access to location Z. Can not something like that work here?

Of course, what you described is how almost all randomizers work. I'm sure it would work for CotM too if someone felt like making a CotM rando.

Not sure what TASing has to do with it, I've made multiple randomizers before without knowing anything about TASing.

Hello, I've been trying to modify the map tile color palette with the .asm patch for Dawn of Sorrow, everytime I do this it ends up doing nothing, I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but the only time I've seen it work is when DSVRandom applies it.

It does work, it's just that DSVEdit's map editor UI doesn't have a checkbox visible for the extra color since it was just intended as a randomizer-specific feature. But for the next version I can add a check so that DSVEdit tries detects if you've applied that patch and adds the extra checkbox.

Also, is there a way to modify the Chaos Ring's MP restoration speed and the color of the blood particles?

Cheers!

I assume they're hardcoded

Serbagz

• View Profile
« Reply #550 on: December 26, 2020, 05:33:04 pm »
Thanks for the reply lago ill send you a link via discord if that's ok with you. Really appreciate the Darkfunction fixes especially <3

Masked Dedede

• what
    • View Profile
    • YouTube:
« Reply #551 on: December 26, 2020, 09:31:59 pm »

It works fine for me. I gave a piece of armor resistance to curses and it both decreased the damage I take from Killer Dolls *and* stopped me from getting cursed.

Resistances don't work for accessories in Dawn of Sorrow.
Bottom Text

Morinis

• Cupcakes and Pizza
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #552 on: December 26, 2020, 10:02:09 pm »
Apologies if this was asked before (so much chat I'm not going to sort through it.)

I'm reacquainting myself with the editor.  How does one change the voice lines in PoR of Johnathan and Charlotte with new ones from actual recordings?
ROM Hacker, Reviewer and Critic.

Don't Know What Else To Say So... <3 You!

Masked Dedede

• what
    • View Profile
    • YouTube:
« Reply #553 on: December 28, 2020, 08:59:21 am »
Is it possible for Portrait of Ruin to: individually assign an icon for each Relic, show the item icons in the Use Item menu, the icon that contains an item's name not transparent, place HP and MP Max Ups exclusive to Richter and Old Axe Armor Mode, and have Bloodlines Bequeathed play in the castle's Entrance only in Richter Mode?

Also, does the map markers on top screen patch require a checkbox like the new map tile colors patch for Dawn of Sorrow?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 09:10:06 am by Masked Dedede »
Bottom Text

tavs7

• View Profile
« Reply #554 on: January 07, 2021, 08:19:01 pm »
Hi, there's a way to put more pointers in gfx? I see that some rooms have more GFX than others of the same area, but when I make a new room it doesn't work.

StarWyvwern

• Family first, then gaming and music.
    • View Profile
    • Souncloud
« Reply #555 on: January 27, 2021, 11:48:09 pm »
 Hey guys. Just wanted to report an error I keep getting here. When pulling up certain mods/hacks of AOS/HOD, DSV can't find the sprites for Soma, Julius, Juste, or Maxim. It just gives me a weird error and says it can't pull up the sprite in the sprite editor. The latest mods posted by Xavier Belmont and Dom Jurumela on Castlevania Modding in Releases are prime examples. This also happens with Alucard in Dawn of Symphony.
Insert "Witty Text" here.

tavs7

• View Profile
« Reply #556 on: January 28, 2021, 11:21:45 am »
Seems that the sprites of AoS's guardian souls doesn't appear on dsvania

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
Re: DSVania Editor (v1.11.0)
« Reply #557 on: February 12, 2021, 02:21:12 am »
Version 1.11.0 released with bug fixes and improvements to the text editor.

Seems that the sprites of AoS's guardian souls doesn't appear on dsvania

Fixed

tavs7

• View Profile
« Reply #558 on: February 16, 2021, 02:37:27 pm »

Azwel

• View Profile
« Reply #559 on: February 25, 2021, 04:21:07 pm »
Would it be possible to add a save editor to dsvania editor?