News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: DSVania Editor (v1.10.0)  (Read 165218 times)

StarWyvwern

• Family first, then gaming and music.
    • View Profile
    • Souncloud
Re: DSVania Editor (v1.9.1)
« Reply #520 on: August 07, 2020, 04:07:16 pm »
OIC... Sorry.
Insert "Witty Text" here.

tavs7

• View Profile
« Reply #521 on: August 08, 2020, 09:35:59 pm »
Hi. 2 months ago I edited the sprites of the Imp soul and added some hitboxes to it on DarkFunction. But only now when I use the soul the game freezes. I looked up on Dsvania and this happened:

How do I fix this?

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
« Reply #522 on: August 09, 2020, 02:30:02 pm »
I would love more documentation for each game...Locations for unlisted gfx for example. Such as Portrait of Ruins gameover screen and all the gfx for DoS equip menu.

Makes sense, I can add more of those to the sprite editor for the next version.

As well as maybe some sort of guide for creating new rooms from scratch. I have been adding rooms to the castle by exporting to Tiled, creating a new room, exporting the blank and renaming then reimporting the room, after I edit the room and doors to how I want. This doesn't feel very intuitive but its all I really know without any direction.

I'm kind of confused, why do you need to do all those extra steps?
Just click "Add Room", then "Open in Tiled", then start placing tiles as normal. That's it, you don't need to copy or rename anything. Doesn't warrant a guide IMO.

Do you get some kind of error if you press those 2 buttons without doing the extra steps? If so, what game and sector are you adding a new room to that gives the error?

The big thing is not having access to certain gfx I wanna edit and having to figure out how to get a hold of pointers for palettes. If we could edit anything at all about events or enemy ai behaviors it'd be awesome if that was implemented, no matter how limited.

Events and enemy AI are both 100% hardcoded. There is no way for a GUI editor like DSVEdit to ever edit them at all. You will need to write custom ASM patches for ARMIPS to modify the code to do what you want. DSVEdit can apply those patches for you (Tools -> Apply ARMIPS Patch) but that's all it can do.

Maybe an Open in Darkfunction button like u have for open in Tiled. I've been using your editor every day for the past 3 months, these are my only major nit picks.

Open in darkFunction would be a great feature to have I agree, but it's unfortunately impossible. darkFunction does not take any command line arguments like Tiled does. So even if I launched darkFunction from within DSVEdit, you would still need to manually browse for the file to open. The only way for this to work would be if darkFunction was updated to take the file to open as a command line argument.

Oh also it's not really obvious how to add an overlay to most the games. Which is 100% required to do anything in DoS but not as required in OOE/PoR since they give u more freedom before throwing not enough free space errors.

How to add an overlay is already explained in the readme: https://github.com/LagoLunatic/DSVEdit#adding-a-free-space-overlay

Taking advantage of the comment above: Does anyone know the gfx pointer of Aria of Sorrow candles? The one listed on dsvania is apparently not the same as the used ingame

Oh interesting, didn't occur to me that they swap that part out for candles in different rooms.
The GFX is 081C3DFC and the palette is 082099FC, I'll add this as an Other sprite for the next version.

Would be nice Lago if you would include in read me GFX Pointer addresses for Portraits in each game.

Come to think of it I could probably work those into the sprite editor even though they're technically not sprites.

Hi. 2 months ago I edited the sprites of the Imp soul and added some hitboxes to it on DarkFunction. But only now when I use the soul the game freezes. I looked up on Dsvania and this happened:

How do I fix this?

So immediately after you added the hitboxes, it worked fine, but at some point later on it broke randomly? Strange.

The error only tells me that one of the Imp soul's animations got corrupted. I have no clue how that could have happened.
I recommend going through your backups of your project and finding the last backup where the Imp soul worked and the first one where it didn't. If you can tell me what you changed in between those 2 backups, I might be able to guess as to the cause of the issue.

As for how to fix it, revert to the last backup of your project where it was working.

tavs7

• View Profile
« Reply #523 on: August 09, 2020, 06:04:12 pm »

So immediately after you added the hitboxes, it worked fine, but at some point later on it broke randomly? Strange.

The error only tells me that one of the Imp soul's animations got corrupted. I have no clue how that could have happened.
I recommend going through your backups of your project and finding the last backup where the Imp soul worked and the first one where it didn't. If you can tell me what you changed in between those 2 backups, I might be able to guess as to the cause of the issue.

As for how to fix it, revert to the last backup of your project where it was working.

Yep. Between these backups I changed some tiles of castle entrance
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 06:40:48 pm by tavs7 »

Serbagz

• View Profile
« Reply #524 on: August 10, 2020, 04:12:11 am »
Thanks for taking the time to reply Lago, well the reason I was doing it that way was because the tilesets always got messed up for me when I was working with a newly created room. It would use the wrong tileset, then id have to manually punch in all the pointers for the right ones and they'd mess up somehow. Doing it that way got me the tileset I wanted to use. This was all probably due to me doing something wrong lol.

Overall the map editor has been working great but weird things do happen. After editing a few areas in wizardry lab today for example another area of the castle now has a white background when viewed in dsvedit, when in my backup right before the edits it was fine. (still works and looks normal in game) when I click this area of the map this happens

Once I made a room as an imported copy of another room and everything was perfect, I did it the exact same way a different day and for some reason the layers were in the wrong order, just odd things. I just wanted to be sure I was doing things the way you intended is all.

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
« Reply #525 on: August 11, 2020, 04:26:57 pm »
Thanks for taking the time to reply Lago, well the reason I was doing it that way was because the tilesets always got messed up for me when I was working with a newly created room. It would use the wrong tileset, then id have to manually punch in all the pointers for the right ones and they'd mess up somehow. Doing it that way got me the tileset I wanted to use. This was all probably due to me doing something wrong lol.

DSVEdit tries to fill in a good guess for a tileset when creating a new room based on other rooms in the same sector, but I haven't tested this for every sector in every game. It's possible it makes a mistake for one sector, if you can remember which sector that is I can look into it.

Overall the map editor has been working great but weird things do happen. After editing a few areas in wizardry lab today for example another area of the castle now has a white background when viewed in dsvedit, when in my backup right before the edits it was fine. (still works and looks normal in game) when I click this area of the map this happens

What specific rooms in wizardry lab did you edit, and which rooms then had a white background?

Once I made a room as an imported copy of another room and everything was perfect, I did it the exact same way a different day and for some reason the layers were in the wrong order, just odd things. I just wanted to be sure I was doing things the way you intended is all.

The layers shouldn't be in random order, the name of the layer in Tiled controls the order they get imported into DSVEdit. Unless you renamed the layers that shouldn't happen.

StarWyvwern

• View Profile
    • Souncloud
« Reply #526 on: August 11, 2020, 04:30:18 pm »
 Really? Would you?  :o That would be so awesome if you would make portraits editable in  the sprite editor. I have always had someone wanting portraits for AOS, DOS, or POR, and don't know how to edit them.  :-\ There have been a couple hacks that showcase replaced portraits, like AOS Hugh Baldwin, Dawn of Symphony, both AOS and DOS versions. Xavier Belmont and I have done a couple more over at CVModding, like Ninjavania, and Dracula's Cursed Aria, and both are just missing portraits. We are now working on a couple more featuring other characters and of course have no way of replacing the portraits. The program is already amazing and all of us using it our so thankful to the work you have put into it. Thank you so much. And keep up the good work.  :thumbsup:

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
Re: DSVania Editor (v1.10.0)
« Reply #527 on: August 23, 2020, 03:19:44 pm »
DSVEdit 1.10 is out! There's a new Menu Editor that lets you edit all the background parts of menu graphics in the game in a similar way to editing rooms. The Sprite Editor also has some more stuff like UI graphics and character portraits, plus various other improvements.

WingCloud8

• View Profile
« Reply #528 on: August 25, 2020, 03:51:32 am »
What about character's stats per level?

Like HP and MP per level?

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
« Reply #529 on: August 25, 2020, 10:47:03 am »
What about character's stats per level?

Like HP and MP per level?

Stats gained per level are hardcoded. e.g. For DoS the function that calculates them is 021FFB08. You'll need to write an asm patch to edit them.

StarWyvwern

• View Profile
    • Souncloud
« Reply #530 on: August 25, 2020, 12:10:54 pm »
 Outstanding update! Thank you so much. This will make modding so much easier for us who love Castlevania. Wonderful changes. Kudos Lago. Kudos...  :thumbsup:

August 31, 2020, 08:20:20 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Hey Lago, any chance you could put Maxim's player in Harmony sprite editor under other like with Julius. Changing color of enemy Maxim doe not change playable character version.  :-\
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 08:20:20 am by StarWyvwern »