News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: DSVania Editor (v1.8.1)  (Read 100812 times)

kajiarashi

• View Profile
Re: DSVania Editor (v1.8.1)
« Reply #400 on: May 15, 2019, 09:57:19 pm »
I tried move to a new folder today, I also tried to extract again from zip it but gives the same error.  :-\ Well.. thanks Sinis for reply  :)

Azwel

• View Profile
« Reply #401 on: May 25, 2019, 02:02:18 pm »
Hi, is it possible to create a mod to display the map on the bottom screen when pressing select like sotn and the gba titles?
Maybe you could use the map that displays when using the warp room, but remove any warping functions

Esco

• Esco.... nuff said!
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: June 09, 2019, 03:00:20 am »
..... what? No option to edit SOTN yet?  :o
Esco.... the original Nuyorican Latin Lover! And creator of the Castlevania: Symphony of the Night engine!

My Patreon page for the Castlevania: SOTN HACKED Engine: http://sotnhacked.wordpress.com/

Thorbs

• View Profile
« Reply #403 on: June 09, 2019, 06:25:14 am »
It's called "DSVania Editor" for a reason.
AoS and HoD support are just a bonus.
I would be more surprised to see SotN support than say, multi-ROM support for already supported games.

Esco

• Esco.... nuff said!
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: June 10, 2019, 01:45:09 am »
It's called "DSVania Editor" for a reason.
AoS and HoD support are just a bonus.
I would be more surprised to see SotN support than say, multi-ROM support for already supported games.

I was being humorous. I remember the creator of this project mentioning having an interest in adding SOTN support way back when I spoke to him. I figured by now he would have figured it out with his skill level.
Esco.... the original Nuyorican Latin Lover! And creator of the Castlevania: Symphony of the Night engine!

My Patreon page for the Castlevania: SOTN HACKED Engine: http://sotnhacked.wordpress.com/

Thorbs

• View Profile
« Reply #405 on: June 10, 2019, 04:50:44 am »
He did?
I didn't know that, that's good to know.

But still, the work involved to add all that support...
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 12:57:08 pm by Thorbs »

Esco

• Esco.... nuff said!
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: June 10, 2019, 04:16:34 pm »
He did?
I didn't know that, that's good to know.

But still, the work involved to add all that support...

Yeah, his tool is amazing. But the truth is with what he has already, and the fact that SOTN stages could be edited with something as simple as a Mappy LUA file, I don't imagine it would be too difficult. But his editor does MUCH, MUCH more than simple stage edits. Including ripping gfx.

Big issue 1 would be the way gfx are encrypted. Though I believe there is already info out there on this.

Big issue 2 map editing wise would be that certain enemies are only loaded in some areas, due to the game being cd and not cartridge based. And even then, let's say you wanted to add a raven into the room with bone pillars in the chapel you would still have to have something coded in that adds that enemies gfx into VRAM. Or it would appear and work fine AI wise. But the gfx would be scrambled. But I'm sure there is a way to automate this.

However, even with an editor, you still could NOT do something like add ravens into the entrance, or alchemy lab, for example. Their AI just isn't coded into the BIN file for that area, nor are their gfx. And the more enemies you set to load into vram at once, the longer a room takes to load. With all enemies in the chapel loaded into vram for a room, I can tell you now that load time when entering that room was double/tripled. Not a HUGE difference, but a noticeable one.

pleasejust

• View Profile
« Reply #407 on: June 13, 2019, 01:42:37 pm »
Hey what're you doing here, Esco? Aren't you supposed to be busy with SotN hacked?  :P

Esco

• Esco.... nuff said!
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: July 12, 2019, 03:46:07 am »
Hey what're you doing here, Esco? Aren't you supposed to be busy with SotN hacked?  :P

Lol!

feels

• View Profile
« Reply #409 on: July 21, 2019, 01:30:46 am »
Hey Lunatic, just wondering if you’d be able to add to the editor the ability to make weapon/armor/accessory stats negative like your randomizers can. Unless of course it’s already in and I just don’t know how to do it (just putting - in front of a hex value stat doesn’t work)

Esco

• Esco.... nuff said!
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: July 21, 2019, 09:47:21 pm »
Hey Lunatic, just wondering if you’d be able to add to the editor the ability to make weapon/armor/accessory stats negative like your randomizers can. Unless of course it’s already in and I just don’t know how to do it (just putting - in front of a hex value stat doesn’t work)

Have you tried using the value you get here: https://web.eecs.umich.edu/~pmchen/engr100/calc.html

I.E. -1 = ffffffff

feels

• View Profile
« Reply #411 on: July 22, 2019, 09:11:33 pm »
Have you tried using the value you get here: https://web.eecs.umich.edu/~pmchen/engr100/calc.html

I.E. -1 = ffffffff

Ahhh. Didn’t know hex could be negative like that (still new to hex). I’ll try it when I get the chance

July 25, 2019, 12:32:37 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

I.E. -1 = ffffffff

So it seems that this method does not work. The hex number just converts into a positive decimal number no matter what. I also tried looking at weapons and armor made using the randomizer that have negative stats but copying the values from them into my mod just turns them into positive hex numbers. I'll just have to wait and see if LagoLunatic is able to create a solution
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 12:32:37 am by feels »

tavs7

• View Profile
« Reply #412 on: August 09, 2019, 01:39:32 pm »
Hello. I'm new using DSVania so I have some questions (I'm trying to make a Aria Of Sorrow Hack):

1: There's a way that can I add new rooms to the game?

2: How to add a new enemy as a boss? I tried with Red Minotaur in a room but it doens't works

3: Exists one way to add new equipments to the rom?

Esco

• Esco.... nuff said!
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: August 10, 2019, 08:29:33 pm »
A special shout out goes to LagoLunatic for his amazing editor in my video here: https://www.patreon.com/posts/29072637

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #414 on: August 11, 2019, 06:49:21 am »
Hey it's Esco, how's the SotN engine going?
Helicoptering about till I find some ROM hacking treasure.

azul120

• View Profile
« Reply #415 on: August 14, 2019, 05:55:14 am »
Good stuff. Stupid question: would it ever be possible to port the AoS music engine into HoD?

ikusatatsu_ushiromiya

• View Profile
« Reply #416 on: August 16, 2019, 12:37:43 am »
Is there any method to extend the map of PoR and OoE.
I can't create map freely in these two CV game.

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
« Reply #417 on: August 18, 2019, 11:13:35 am »
Sorry, haven't checked this topic in a few months. Doesn't seem like I get email notifications anymore for some reason.

..... what? No option to edit SOTN yet?  :o

Yeah, his tool is amazing. But the truth is with what he has already, and the fact that SOTN stages could be edited with something as simple as a Mappy LUA file, I don't imagine it would be too difficult. But his editor does MUCH, MUCH more than simple stage edits. Including ripping gfx.

Big issue 1 would be the way gfx are encrypted. Though I believe there is already info out there on this.

Big issue 2 map editing wise would be that certain enemies are only loaded in some areas, due to the game being cd and not cartridge based. And even then, let's say you wanted to add a raven into the room with bone pillars in the chapel you would still have to have something coded in that adds that enemies gfx into VRAM. Or it would appear and work fine AI wise. But the gfx would be scrambled. But I'm sure there is a way to automate this.

However, even with an editor, you still could NOT do something like add ravens into the entrance, or alchemy lab, for example. Their AI just isn't coded into the BIN file for that area, nor are their gfx. And the more enemies you set to load into vram at once, the longer a room takes to load. With all enemies in the chapel loaded into vram for a room, I can tell you now that load time when entering that room was double/tripled. Not a HUGE difference, but a noticeable one.

A year and a half ago I did look into making a new editor for SotN (adding support for it into DSVania Editor isn't realistic because the formats are 100% different, so making a new project was easier).

I got it as far as being able to view most rooms, as well as entity properties (no editing). But once I realized those entity limitations you mentioned I wasn't sure if I wanted to continue working on it, since what you could do with a SotN editor would be pretty limited. Also, pretty much everything is SotN is coded weird and hacky compared to the DS games, so it's way more work to do anything. Never managed to get entity sprites displaying correctly, for example. So I just stopped working on it, didn't seem worth the effort.

Ahhh. Didn’t know hex could be negative like that (still new to hex). I’ll try it when I get the chance

July 25, 2019, 12:32:37 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
So it seems that this method does not work. The hex number just converts into a positive decimal number no matter what. I also tried looking at weapons and armor made using the randomizer that have negative stats but copying the values from them into my mod just turns them into positive hex numbers. I'll just have to wait and see if LagoLunatic is able to create a solution

The method Esco mentioned with negative hexadecimal numbers does work. For example, set an item's Strength field to FB and it will give -5 strength.

However, this only works for signed values. Unsigned values are always positive, so if you try to set an unsigned value to FB, it will instead give +251 to that attribute for example.
At the bottom of the item editor is a big text field with documentation on each value. Only the ones that say (signed) next to them are signed. Strength, constitution, intelligence, mind, and luck are signed, but attack and defense are unsigned. So I assume you tried to make attack or defense negative and that's why it didn't work for you. You should instead make strength or constitution negative and those will have the side effect of also decreasing attack or defense.

Also, while Esco's method works you don't actually need to do it that way. Just type in -5 and DSVEdit will understand that you want FB.

Hello. I'm new using DSVania so I have some questions (I'm trying to make a Aria Of Sorrow Hack):

1: There's a way that can I add new rooms to the game?

Adding new rooms is possible in theory but I haven't implemented that feature into DSVEdit's UI yet.

2: How to add a new enemy as a boss? I tried with Red Minotaur in a room but it doens't works

You can't make a random enemy act like a boss. The boss stuff like changing the music and opening the boss doors on death is part of the boss's AI code. You would need to do a bunch of custom ASM coding to get it to work.

3: Exists one way to add new equipments to the rom?

Impossible. Because of the way the item list works, adding a new item would mess up the existing item IDs, and also it would require relocating the whole list elsewhere in ROM, which would mess up all the hardcoded pointers to that list. You'll just have to replace an existing item you don't intend to use in your hack with the new item (since changing an item's attributes and sprite is possible).

A special shout out goes to LagoLunatic for his amazing editor in my video here: https://www.patreon.com/posts/29072637

Thanks!

Good stuff. Stupid question: would it ever be possible to port the AoS music engine into HoD?

I dunno anything about the music formats.

Is there any method to extend the map of PoR and OoE.
I can't create map freely in these two CV game.

Increasing the total number of tiles on a given map in PoR and OoE is impossible.

The way they coded it in those games is that the blank parts of the map aren't tiles (in DoS and earlier they were tiles). So there's just no room to add new tiles, you can only move the existing tiles around to change the shape and colors of the map.
Allowing an increase in the total number of tiles could theoretically be possible by relocating the entire map data in both RAM and in the save file to somewhere else with more room. I don't know the format of OoE's save file, so I don't know where that could be or if there's even room. You also would probably need to update the code that deals with save files to handle the changes you made.

Azwel

• View Profile
« Reply #418 on: August 18, 2019, 01:05:32 pm »
Glad to see you're back lago, just wanted to ask if it was possible to create a hack that brings the map on the lower screen in the DS games when pressing select, maybe you could bring up the warp menu but disable its functions

LagoLunatic

• View Profile
« Reply #419 on: August 18, 2019, 01:53:32 pm »
Glad to see you're back lago, just wanted to ask if it was possible to create a hack that brings the map on the lower screen in the DS games when pressing select, maybe you could bring up the warp menu but disable its functions

Sounds possible, yeah. You'd need to write an asm patch that hijacks the code that detects when you press select and normally swaps the top screen from being the info screen to the map screen so it instead changes the current menu screen to be either the warp screen or the "Maps" screen normally accessed from the pause menu. For DoS, the "Maps" screen doesn't exist so it would need to be the warp screen in that game. Not really sure how you could disable the warping functions from the warp screen without also breaking warp points, but there might be some way. Also, I bet the hard part would be fixing lots of small bugs with it after you get the basic functionality working, since there tend to be quite a few of those when you're reusing menu code like that in ways the devs didn't intend.