News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Was Starcomi actually a Di Gi Charat game?  (Read 1716 times)

McKnight

• View Profile
    • Livejournal
Was Starcomi actually a Di Gi Charat game?
« on: February 17, 2017, 06:34:46 am »
Recently, I downloaded a .cbz of Nintendo Power volume 143, which I had read before, specifically to look up this screenshot of a game called Starcomi (Star Communicator).  Back in 2001, when I actually had a subscription to NP, I had noticed the title twice when the Game Boy Advance was officially announced, but with screenshots that looked nothing like the same game.

Here is what looks everything like the original Di Gi Charat anime (which I hadn't heard of at the time):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/914uf4e0y6gfync/Screenshot%202017-02-17%2006.24.28.png?dl=0

Today, out of curiosity, I decided to see if that game actually was ever made, and found a copy on eBay.  It looks exactly like the other screenshot I had seen before in NP, but nothing like what I just linked to above, nor does the box art feature anyone from DGC.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Starcom-Star-Communicator-Konami-2001-Game-Boy-Advance-AGB-P-ASKJ-RK245-J1-C-/142260777907?hash=item211f6733b3:g:q5kAAOSwpDdVARv7

Were both games the same game, or was the DGC game actually a different game that the NP writers used the wrong screenshot for?  (I am aware of another Di Gi Charat GBA game, called Digi Communication, whose title suggests that Starcomi is in fact a spinoff of DGC.)

jink640

• From nuggets to dust.
    • View Profile
Re: Was Starcomi actually a Di Gi Charat game?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 05:42:44 pm »
Im pretty sure they just screwed a screenshot. I never saw anything that looked like that in the screenshots I found.

The game seems to be a GB link cable focused pet simulator.

McKnight

• View Profile
    • Livejournal
Re: Was Starcomi actually a Di Gi Charat game?
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 05:45:32 am »
How ironic.  The day after I downloaded the .cbz, I had written an entry on LiveJournal, mentioning Di Gi Charat itself as one of "Konami's" more whimsical franchises, and that entry in turn is what led me to watch most of the original anime on YouTube.

Quote from: dmxrated
It was throughout 1997 when I discovered the name, tied with such games as Zombies Ate My Neighbors, TMNT IV: Turtles in Time, Contra III: The Alien Wars, Super Castlevania IV, and Biker Mice from Mars. Given that, the name itself sounded cool and associable with badassery, but that's exactly what's ironic here. While that particular company is also renowned for other franchises like Suikoden, Metal Gear Solid, Zone of the Enders, and Yu-Gi-Oh!, it makes all kinds of games. Cases in point: I mentioned before, having watched [a friend of mine] play Rocket Knight Adventures (mostly comical) on his Genesis once earlier on, but I didn't really pay attention to the legal info or even the title. Meanwhile, Japan has seen various moe franchises such as Di Gi Charat*, Super Gals, and Mermaid Melody Pichi Pichi Pitch associated with it, exactly what Lucky Star belongs with as a franchise.

For full context:

http://dmxrated.livejournal.com/635282.html
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 05:59:47 am by McKnight »