News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Question about using Normalization on a .Wav Track  (Read 1885 times)

Kallisto

• View Profile
Question about using Normalization on a .Wav Track
« on: February 16, 2017, 11:05:41 am »
This is the program I'm using that qwertymodo shared when normalizing .Wav files:

http://normalize.nongnu.org/

Now I gotten pretty far with what I was doing as I normalized the track, and converted the file to .pcm...I came across a problem.

The file was still too loud, but unfortunately I'm not too familiar with the command lines, so I'm not sure what I will have to type in for the volume to be set a little more lower in order to find that sweet spot. If anyone can provide a small tutorial on how to lower the volume that would be great.

FINAL EDIT!:

I figured it out! The program I was using was cancelling out my normalization effect from Audacity! Forgive my ignorance as I'm still fresh to audio programs, and I thought I needed that program for some kind of conversion purpose, but Audacity ended up saving me the headache, and managed to greatly reduce the volume level.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 12:37:52 pm by Kallisto »

Bregalad

• View Profile
Re: Question about using Normalization on a .Wav Track
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 03:20:31 pm »
Normalization is increasing the volume level until it barely saturates. The problem is that it's waveform dependent, a normalized square wave will sound much louder than a normalized sine wave, so it's a very weak technique to adjust volume accurately.