News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: [IPS] Grossly-Inflated Patch Size? **RESOLVED?**  (Read 1611 times)

Josephine Lithius

• THE WORLD IS MINE!!
    • View Profile
    • Jo Li KMC @ Tumblr
[IPS] Grossly-Inflated Patch Size? **RESOLVED?**
« on: February 15, 2017, 08:47:07 pm »
Formerly "[Lunar IPS] Grossly-Inflated Patch Size?"

So, I'm finally finishing up a Super NES ROM hack I've been putting off and I've run into a minor technical... well, not a "problem" so much as a "what the heck?"  For some reason, Lunar IPS seems to want to spit out a file that's about one-fourth the size (665 KB) of the actual ROM (2,048 KB).

The only things I've done to the ROM is edit a few data values and change a couple of graphics.  I can't see any reason for this huge file size happening other than maybe Lunar IPS doesn't handle edited, compressed graphics very gracefully?  I'm not really sure.  I do know, however, that Floating LIPS (and I would assume BEAT) spits out a file that's about 100-time smaller (6 KB in size) -- something I expected Lunar IPS to do, since it was doing that up until I started editing graphics.

Considering how very little I actually changed, I'm just... utterly baffled by what Lunar IPS is giving me to work with.  Would anyone happen to know why Lunar IPS is giving me an IPS file that's more than 100 times larger than the BPS file Floating LIPS provides?  I'd really prefer to use the IPS format, even though I know BPS is basically (vastly) superior in all but the most negligible of ways (popularity being one of them)... but the grossly-inflated file size for my patch is just absurd, considering just how little I've actually changed...

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 10:30:16 pm by Joseph Lithius »

assassin

• View Profile
    • My Barren Webpage
Re: [Lunar IPS] Grossly-Inflated Patch Size?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 10:06:44 pm »
you probably answered your own question with the compressed graphics.  even a small change can shift a TON of bytes over.  and the IPS format simply has no concept of shifting, so it'll repeat all the bytes at a slightly different address.

the only other explanation i've encountered for such a big SNES patch is header discrepancies.  and since you're able to post in complete sentences and paragraphs and you don't reek of week-old dung, i'll simply assume you're not one of those imbeciles who's confounded by something as simple and widely-known as a header.

so yes, it's got to be the compressed graphics.  and the issue'd apply to any IPS maker, not just Lunar IPS.

Josephine Lithius

• THE WORLD IS MINE!!
    • View Profile
    • Jo Li KMC @ Tumblr
[IPS] Grossly-Inflated Patch Size? **RESOLVED?**
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 10:28:15 pm »
Well, that's butts.  Though I will say, the same thing happens when I made Chrono Trigger mods that alter/insert/remove text/events... but again, shifted bytes and all that, so I guess it makes sense.

It's funny...  I never knew the IPS format was so inefficient.  I mean, yeah, it doesn't just make a patch the same size as a ROM file (usually), but still... maybe it is time to move on to BPS format.  That's too bad.

Also...
the only other explanation i've encountered for such a big SNES patch is header discrepancies.  and since you're able to post in complete sentences and paragraphs and you don't reek of week-old dung, i'll simply assume you're not one of those imbeciles who's confounded by something as simple and widely-known as a header.
As a matter of fact... I questioned the whole "header/no header" discrepancy myself not too long ago...

In any case, thank you for confirming my suspicions and answering my question!