News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Romancing Saga 3 English re-translation [WIP]  (Read 67154 times)

chicco30

• View Profile
Re: Romancing Saga 3 English re-translation [WIP]
« Reply #80 on: October 03, 2017, 11:26:19 am »
I really sweet port of RS 2 is on IOS with new sprites and it looks just wonderful :)

Iam a console player and I cant play on Pc or even a little mobile screen :)

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 03, 2017, 11:37:13 am »
@Gideon: Can I help you somehow? I wanna help in progress but Im not good in rom hacking or font editing.
Can you pay him a salary so he doesn't have to go to work anymore? :P
(I believe that was his response to the last person who asked.)

(Yes, that was a joke response. If someone actually did pay him, S-E would probably be more likely to shut him down.)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

cccmar

• View Profile
    • Nebulous Translations site
« Reply #82 on: October 03, 2017, 11:49:04 am »
I really sweet port of RS 2 is on IOS with new sprites and it looks just wonderful :)

This also means that there won't be any translation of the SNES game for a while. In like a decade or so, probably it would be a good idea to just lift the script and reinsert it into the SNES game, with some changes. Till then, I guess the IOS version is the only way to play it if someone wants to experience the game in English. :)

Gideon Zhi

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #83 on: October 04, 2017, 04:37:38 pm »
@Gideon: Can I help you somehow? I wanna help in progress but Im not good in rom hacking or font editing.

Seems real unlikely.

This also means that there won't be any translation of the SNES game for a while. In like a decade or so, probably it would be a good idea to just lift the script and reinsert it into the SNES game, with some changes. Till then, I guess the IOS version is the only way to play it if someone wants to experience the game in English. :)

Oh, if only the text were the roadblock.

azidahaka

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 11, 2017, 02:36:42 pm »
Not canned, no. Put off a while so as to not be competing with the mobile version, but not canned.

Years after, still looking forward to it.

I just popped in here to say I'm really excited to be working on RS3. As you all probably know, I translated the script for RS2 and cleaned up the translated script for RS1.

The Romancing Saga series is a beast in terms of translation (not to mention hacking). RS3 in particular features mage types based on the Four Symbols of China, and a musical number full of four-character compounds.

The dialogue is also quite nuanced and pretty funny at parts, which I hope will come across in my translation. :)

They should call you Miss SaGa :D

IIRC, the gamefaqs guides were very helpful when I played through with the subpar EN translation, but I also used the (very old) rpgclassics shrine as well.  Both are useful, although there used to be a massive data dump Zach Keene made years ago for RS3 that has since disappeared form the internet.  It had an extremely detailed layout of the game systems if you were interested, but I sadly can't seem to find it anymore...

As far as best starter characters, IMO everyone has interesting quests.  My issue with Mikhail is that his minigame takes an absurd amount of help to get right (although you can easily farm forged equipment through it), and he doesn't specialize in swords.  Considering the best techs are sword techs (especially endgame), having mikhail be a permanent fixture in your party isn't worth it IMO.

I personally prefer Katrina or Harid, with Julian a distant 3rd favorite to main.  The stories are interesting, but especially Katrina basically gets the open world from the get-go (Harid and Julian have more of an intro to work through).

I started and finished many characters, but with Kathrina and i got weird bug that made it impossible to proceed.

@magno are you making the same hacks/changes/bug fixes you are doing on your amazing Star Ocean effort?

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 11, 2017, 06:49:37 pm »
It's been on Android for a while.  It's better looking than the FF V/VI ports I'll give it that, but it still has the hallmark online only DRM.  The translation is understandable, but prepare for something along the lines of PS1 Final Fantasy Tactics (no doubt you've heard of "mittanes" by now).  It's bearable to play with though because the gameplay has not been affected.  IIRC it has some extra stuff that SNES does not.

Knowing Square-Enix, let's just hope iOS didn't get a slapdash job full of crashes like we did with FFT's port from iOS to Android.  My name fix patch was in response to that in a way.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 09:28:03 pm by Chronosplit »

magno

• View Profile
    • Traducciones Magno
« Reply #86 on: November 12, 2017, 05:46:19 am »
@magno are you making the same hacks/changes/bug fixes you are doing on your amazing Star Ocean effort?

I did some changes but can't remember now, it's been more than 6 years ago... I changed some routines for menus and corrected some script bugs, but I can't remember any  important bug on the original game.

Magma Dragoon

• Every day is night
    • View Profile
    • My Hideout
« Reply #87 on: November 12, 2017, 08:19:51 am »
I remember in the original game the Tatyana subplot was impossible to complete.

Condor

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 25, 2017, 04:08:32 am »
@Magno I loved your Spanish translation of the game and I was wondering if for this English release there was going to be work on some of the programming errors on the game. Like Elephant and Ellen having their Learning Technique Types fixed (Elephant is Type 03 [Axes] and Ellen is Type 08 [Fists]) when it should be the other way around, Undine getting a 1MP cost reduction on Earth spells instead of Water, or Black having a growth of 2 for Water magic when it should be for Wind.

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 28, 2017, 02:40:29 am »

Sounds like it needs to be romhacked to make it possible. :P

magno

• View Profile
    • Traducciones Magno
« Reply #90 on: November 28, 2017, 01:46:56 pm »

It'd be great to know how the full Tatyana plot should have been developed in a fully working japanese version. I mean, if there is some flag which is not asserted at some point, I could easily change that, but then I should know which other dialogues and events to trigger to complete the subplot. And I think that's not easy enough unless we have some port to any new platforms where the subplot is fixed and playable.

@Magno I loved your Spanish translation of the game and I was wondering if for this English release there was going to be work on some of the programming errors on the game. Like Elephant and Ellen having their Learning Technique Types fixed (Elephant is Type 03 [Axes] and Ellen is Type 08 [Fists]) when it should be the other way around, Undine getting a 1MP cost reduction on Earth spells instead of Water, or Black having a growth of 2 for Water magic when it should be for Wind.

Than could be done, although I had to take a look to my code dump to check whether that code is dumped or not. It's been 7 years now since I finished the project, so I can't remember many details.

break

• Teaching the unteachable
    • View Profile
    • breaktube's youtube account
« Reply #91 on: December 20, 2017, 11:00:41 pm »
@magno

Wow, this is looking great !!

Just noticed that RS2 is up on STEAM this week  ^_^"

Do you have any interest in translating the "Romancing SaGa 3 - Bokuno Hack" ?

It more or less RS3 with addition bosses and attacks.

Anyhow, a real fan of your work with the Romancing SaGa games !

Pokemon Red 3DS-XL friend code : 1864-9639-1699 (Zeheart)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/breaktube
http://www.youtube.com/user/breaktube

magno

• View Profile
    • Traducciones Magno
« Reply #92 on: January 20, 2018, 05:58:48 am »

Do you have any interest in translating the "Romancing SaGa 3 - Bokuno Hack" ?

It more or less RS3 with addition bosses and attacks.

Anyhow, a real fan of your work with the Romancing SaGa games !

Weel, it would be great, but for translating it, I should have access to changes in source code. My hack for RS3 japanese version includes tons of ASM code edit, removed or replaced, so doing it again for Bokuno's would be a huge work. If I had the source files for that hack, I could insert my changes on that version (or the other way, his changes on mine) and that would easier.

I finally found the weird character that made my insertion tool crash for english script. It was character inserted between a \cr (Carriage Return) and \lf (Line Feed) and thus, it couldn't be viewed in a standard text editor. I can't imagine how this character was inserted, but I could remove it only by binary edition with an hexadecimal editor. Anyway, now I could build an english version with all english dialogues inserted, but not formatted.
Is there any out there willing to betatest it? The hero willing to do it should have previous knowledge about the game and be patient enough t omake photos with the cellular to any bad formatted dialogue (text outside the text bubble, typos, any spanish word reamining on the script...)
In case somebody wants to, please PM or send an email and choose a charactere to play the game.

As always, thanks to Eien, whose works is really superb.

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 20, 2018, 07:34:44 am »
Everything related to Bokuno is on here.
http://www.wikihouse.com/bokuno/index.php?

It holds quite a collection of documents so it might also contain some code.
Helicoptering about till I find some ROM hacking treasure.

magno

• View Profile
    • Traducciones Magno
« Reply #94 on: January 20, 2018, 08:47:06 am »
Everything related to Bokuno is on here.
http://www.wikihouse.com/bokuno/index.php?

It holds quite a collection of documents so it might also contain some code.

Yes, but it is all in japanese, difficult to browse and find useful information. In time, I searched for source code but couldn't find anything.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 11:33:09 am by magno »

magno

• View Profile
    • Traducciones Magno
« Reply #95 on: January 27, 2018, 06:18:43 pm »
It's kinda disaponting that nobody is willing to help beta-testing the game... I thought more people would be interested on the game seeing that lot of people replied in this thread, but it seems I was wrong.
I really would like to beta-test the game by myself, but I'm not english native and not the most suitable person to do it.

Isao Kronos

• Dog is God, God is Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 27, 2018, 06:50:44 pm »
If I weren't afraid of not doing the best job I could and had a computer that wasn't being a pain I'd totally be up for it. Some people wanted Tengai Makyou Zero in English. Me, I wanted a good non-partial Romancing SaGa 3 translation.

If you use Discord, have you considered asking in the RHDN discord?
will hackrom for Red Lobster Cheddar Bay biscuits

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 28, 2018, 03:20:06 am »
Some people wanted Tengai Makyou Zero in English.

I can count them on my fingers, ha ha!

January 28, 2018, 03:51:33 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
It's kinda disaponting that nobody is willing to help beta-testing the game... I thought more people would be interested on the game seeing that lot of people replied in this thread, but it seems I was wrong.
I really would like to beta-test the game by myself, but I'm not english native and not the most suitable person to do it.

It is unfortunate, but the number of people interested in Super Famicom games seems to dwindle every year. :(

Statistically, most people never finish the games they start - and the same goes for beta testing, unfortunately. Even if you find some testers, the majority will leave you high and dry, especially when they're unfamiliar with the game.

I'd offer to help, but I don't have part 3 (only part 2), and I am too busy working on my own projects. Your work looks really impressive, though. Hope you find a few dedicated volunteers!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 03:51:33 am by Tom »

Mugi

• Personal text
    • View Profile
    • Blacklabel-translations
« Reply #98 on: January 28, 2018, 03:53:01 am »
I can count them on my fingers, ha ha!

still better than the "what is this game!? i've never even heard about it" i got with zill o'll :P
In PSP we trust.

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 28, 2018, 03:56:05 am »
still better than the "what is this game!? i've never even heard about it" i got with zill o'll :P

You can say that again. Even in Japan, it's relatively unknown... But it is SO very good! :D

Plenty of people know Romancing Saga, though. It is surprising that even RS is having trouble finding testers.