News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: The SNES preservation project is undead  (Read 15986 times)

Gideon Zhi

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
Re: 100 PAL games held up in USPS for 1 1/2 months; any ideas?
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2017, 02:34:07 am »
The package turned up... or what's left of it, anyway.
https://twitter.com/byuu_san/status/832074375646048256

assassin

• View Profile
    • My Barren Webpage
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2017, 03:57:52 am »
wow, that's scuzzy..  and they'd have him believe the 25 or more pounds of goods just disintegrated in the machinery?

i hear talk about monitoring eBay listings, but is anybody keeping an eye on Craigslist?  there're plenty of criminals on there, and at least when it comes to one CL'er scamming another, the site is reportedly more interested in protecting the scammer's information than addressing the wrongdoing.  don't know whether this attitude extends to sale of stolen merchandise.

SleepyFist

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2017, 04:03:43 am »
The package turned up... or what's left of it, anyway.
https://twitter.com/byuu_san/status/832074375646048256
:banghead:
AUGH! WHY CAN"T PEOPLE JUST DO THEIR FUCKING JOBS.

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2017, 04:33:54 am »
This speaks quite a bit about the nature of the world we live in now, I feel. Preserving electronic media works in such exhaustive detail simply would require a more innocent world than the one we live in.

...It is a hard thing to learn that there are people in the world who simply wish to get what they can, while they can.

This is why I tend to keep entirely to myself as much as I possibly can. I don't even like walking to the store, really. People just infuriate me
Yamero~~!

lexluthermiester

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2017, 08:13:43 am »
wow, that's scuzzy..  and they'd have him believe the 25 or more pounds of goods just disintegrated in the machinery?

i hear talk about monitoring eBay listings, but is anybody keeping an eye on Craigslist?  there're plenty of criminals on there, and at least when it comes to one CL'er scamming another, the site is reportedly more interested in protecting the scammer's information than addressing the wrongdoing.  don't know whether this attitude extends to sale of stolen merchandise.

There is also an equal chance that the package was crushed in transit, the box came open and the carts scattered every-which-way and were damaged beyond repair. The ebay listing may simply be a bad timed coincidence. If the sender had any common sense at all they insured it.

MathUser2929

• View Profile
Re: The SNES preservation project is now truly dead
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2017, 12:04:18 pm »
Were any games missing? I'm glad he got the package.

I don't suppose anyone saved a pic of the ebay auction?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 12:12:03 pm by MathUser2929 »

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2017, 12:10:18 pm »
Were any games missing? I'm glad he got the package.
All the games are still missing, he only got the label that had been ripped off the box and a letter of apology.

mz

• Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2017, 01:22:53 pm »
If anyone who hates byuu still felt kind of bad about the sender, someone on reddit posted screenshots of byuu's forums where the sender (Smarthuman) said that he lied about the real value of the package and all that because he was hiding information from the governmental agencies so he could take their welfare money...

https://www.reddit.com/r/emulation/comments/5uckkd/100_snes_pal_game_shipment_update_package_was/ddtjzc6/
There has to be a better life.

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2017, 03:40:39 pm »
SUSPENSE DRAMA INTRIGUE

This whole fiasco just proves that people are no damn good, no matter how you look at it
Yamero~~!

BlackDog61

• View Profile
    • Super Robot Wars A Portable translation thread
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2017, 04:28:20 pm »
This whole fiasco just proves that people are no damn good, no matter how you look at it
Not "people". Some people. And a few are enough to put a pin in the a** of a few hundreds (or more).

jink640

• From nuggets to dust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2017, 04:57:40 pm »
If anyone who hates byuu still felt kind of bad about the sender, someone on reddit posted screenshots of byuu's forums where the sender (Smarthuman) said that he lied about the real value of the package and all that because he was hiding information from the governmental agencies so he could take their welfare money...

https://www.reddit.com/r/emulation/comments/5uckkd/100_snes_pal_game_shipment_update_package_was/ddtjzc6/
Wow, one douche steals money from people who may truly need welfare, then another douche at a shipping agency steals a box of high value video games.  This is some fun stuff  :laugh:

Also, it seems that the package was listed under a food item. He does know that lying on a customs declaration can land you in some federal fees (or jail for fraud, in extreme circumstances), right? Byuu should be fine, but the other guy might get capped for this.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 05:07:34 pm by jink640 »

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2017, 07:57:20 pm »
This has actually happened to me before, although my items weren't stolen, but ended up being repackaged (in really cheap packaging) and sent to me weeks later.

I'm really hopeful something similar happens here, but yeah, I still feel bad for byuu big time.  I would be willing to bet this was some kind of a freak accident as far as the box getting shredded--the games missing are a totally different story.  I'm just happy there's likely some kind of an official investigation by USPS now.

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2017, 03:08:23 am »
What a turn. Lied about the packages value to keep his welfare. I hope the guy don't get in trouble cause of all the press. Hopefully noone finds out his name.

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2017, 07:01:59 am »
Not "people". Some people. And a few are enough to put a pin in the a** of a few hundreds (or more).

...Writing down for future reference. :D
Yamero~~!

thr

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2017, 01:39:18 pm »
the story has made it to slashdot now. guess it'll at least get some exposure that way.

NoOneee

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2017, 03:09:53 pm »
Great news: Thanks to the media exposure USPS actually found the package with the games intact, and sent them to byuu.
https://byuu.org/emulation/preservation/found-package/

hex_usr

• View Profile
Re: The SNES preservation project is undead
« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2017, 03:13:34 pm »
Good news! The games have been located!

Quote from: byuu
Success for real!

Finally, today, February 23rd, the ordeal is finally over!

The package arrived safely, with all games in-tact.

To those who thought and/or still think byuu is trying to scam everyone:
Quote from: byuu
Donations

Truth be told, I truly believed on February 14th that the package was lost forever. As such, I started to collect donations to help split the costs of buying and replacing all of these games for the donor.

Yes, I know it wasn't legally my responsibility, but I couldn't live with myself if I didn't.

Now that the games have been found ... what about the donations? In total, I collected $1,020 via Paypal, plus pledges for $146 via Patreon.

For Paypal, I've contacted every single person who donated to offer a full refund. I will be sending out those refunds later today.

For Patreon, it does not pay out until March 1st, so I have received no money. I've sent a message to every patron informing them of this new development.

(technicality: I'm sending them a link to this article once it goes live, but that'll be done by the time you're reading this.)

I hope that at this point, with all of the photos of this ordeal, plus providing uncensored information to various journalists, plus the refunding of donations, that those who believed this to be a scam will now believe otherwise.

I know the circumstances seemed surreal, especially to people who didn't know me, but ... this really did happen. And I've been absolutely wracked with constant anxiety for well over a full month now. I'm now ecstatic to finally be able to put this whole thing behind me.

Synnae

• View Profile
Re: The SNES preservation project is undead
« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2017, 04:28:04 pm »
And that's why sometimes it's better to not jump to conclusions. Good things come to those who wait.

travel27

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2017, 04:52:56 pm »
Great news: Thanks to the media exposure USPS actually found the package with the games intact, and sent them to byuu.
https://byuu.org/emulation/preservation/found-package/

I don't think it is thanks to media exposure, that is not the reason they were found.  They would have been found regardless.  But I guess if people want to feel like they had a small role in this...

NoOneee

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2017, 05:04:39 pm »
I don't think it is thanks to media exposure, that is not the reason they were found.  They would have been found regardless.  But I guess if people want to feel like they had a small role in this...
Have you read byuu's post? The USPS manager literally said he was contacting him because he saw the case in news articles.
You can't say for sure they would have found the package regardless.