News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: The SNES preservation project is undead  (Read 18044 times)

hex_usr

• View Profile
The SNES preservation project is undead
« on: February 11, 2017, 04:44:18 pm »
The package was destroyed. The preservation project is now truly dead.

Good news! The games have been located!

Hello, everyone. You may not like me for my attitudes I've displayed on ROMHacking.net, but I think this needs to be said, as this problem isn't even mine, and I personally won't benefit if it gets solved:

byuu, the author of higan, arranged to have a box of 100 PAL SNES games shipped from Germany to his home for him to scan and preserve, but they have not arrived. It has been more than 45 days since it was first sent out from Germany.

This package's estimated value is between $5,000 and $10,000, and it is really important that he receive it so that he can scan the cartridges and send them back to their owner. If the package is lost, byuu will dedicate years of his life reimbursing the owner for every single lost cartridge, he will never receive another package of SNES games again, and SNES preservation will be over permanently. That means the Japanese Super Famicom cartridges will not be preserved, either.

Unfortunately, USPS is incompetent when it counts. byuu filed a missing mail complaint 15 days ago, but to this day, it has been ignored. He has attempted to contact them on Twitter and Reddit, but in both cases, USPS employees have refused to lift a finger to help.

We need to raise awareness and get a senior representative of USPS to respond, and byuu's efforts alone are not enough to make that happen, so here I am on ROMHacking.net, spreading the word.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get USPS to do their jobs? byuu has offered a $500 commission to anyone that can help him get his package. If you are unable to contact USPS directly, you can still help; just spread the word to other forums or social media sites you frequent, or write to any media you think might be interested. Even a YouTube video will help.

The full details can be found on byuu's forums.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 03:09:52 pm by hex_usr »

resq

• View Profile
Re: 100 PAL games held up in USPS for 1 1/2 months; any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 05:04:08 pm »
Postal workers steal people's packages all the time - happened to me in December but it was only a 70$ package of energy tea. Tracking tells me the package arrived at the post office but was 'undeliverable as addressed' and that same tracking told eBay that the package had been delivered to my home. So definitely a scam by either the eBay seller or the post office.

They open my packages all the time and usually when they do they just deliver the box to my house ripped open. They probably think I'm some drug trafficer or some crap. Idiots.

Hate to say it but somebody made a rather large mistake sending a package worth $5,000 through USPS. USPS cannot be trusted and it is systemic. There should have been some type of alternate shipping method that includes insurance that specifically protects against packages being stolen by delivery workers.

My guess is the postal workers stole it because they opened the package and realized it was worth a decent amount of money. (Irony is they probably have no clue how much it's actually worth and they're going to try selling it for much less . .)
Come with me if you want to live.

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 05:27:55 pm »
This package's estimated value is between $5,000 and $10,000
Was this value even declared when the package was sent ?

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 06:03:35 pm »
Jesus, If I hung out anywhere but here and r/Mother 4 I would help, this is awful, I had manga stolen/misplaced and my Captain Rainbow was merely held up a month, but after 45 days I'd say this was almost definitely stolen.

Is there any way we can arrange to fly him to jersey? I don't know if he would get results if he presented a tracking number there or not.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 06:10:43 pm by SleepyFist »

hex_usr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2017, 06:22:56 pm »
Quote from: SleepyFist
I don't know if he would get results if he presented a tracking number there or not.
You might want to ask him about that directly. He did share the reasons why he wouldn't give out his tracking number with me, but he did it in a private message, so I think it's a secret to everybody.

I'll note that registration on byuu's forums is currently closed for various technical reasons I won't get into here (and don't really fully understand myself), so if you want to contact him, I'd recommend Twitter or Reddit. He's on /r/emulation all the time. Or possibly the NesDev forums, where I also posted the same message above.

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2017, 06:40:56 pm »
I put up a message in the comments for Pat the NES Punk's latest video, don't know if It'll snag attention or not, but its probably the closest I'm getting to contacting him without a twitter account.

I'm not sure about contacting byuu about anything, I'm rather helpless, I'd rather see how things go first.

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2017, 08:03:37 pm »
Probably should start a thread on neogaf. I can't do it myself. But someone should. It solved a few problems. A guy was about to get ripped off by a guy who was saying his PS4 was banned but Sony customer service said it was used online so the guy was lying. He was probably gonna swap out parts and send him the banned PS4 back.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2017, 10:09:40 pm »
I read the whole story on byuu's forum and with no posts, this is certainly not how I was hoping it ended. :'(

Long story short is the byuu had certainly looked at options besides USPS, but hit some significant financial or legal setbacks. (such as an "EORI #", don't really know what that it is except that it sounds like German customs, or whoever, assumed he is running some kind of business to be making such a shipment)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2017, 12:17:18 pm »
Well fuck.
 I was gonna suggest checking around Ebay for them, there's one box of 100 up right now, doubt its them though.
Do we know what games were in the package? It might help identify them if they show up elsewhere especially if some are rare.

tvtoon

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2017, 01:02:46 pm »
It is unfortunate that byuu efforts about preservation are gone. Always looking for another point of view is a good stand.

Now it seems a little obvious to me that packing a hundred carts at once is asking for trouble, no matter the country you try to import. If you got some good securing, get it while you can! ;)

Avster

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2017, 01:07:14 pm »
« Last Edit: August 14, 2021, 07:02:48 pm by Avster »

mrrichard999

• So Goooood! :D
    • View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2017, 01:22:28 pm »
THose import packages sometimes get stuck at an arrival destination. Give it a week or 2.

hex_usr

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2017, 01:42:59 pm »
SleepyFist, where is that eBay listing?

Keep in mind, they specifically need to be PAL games. If even one of them is NTSC, then it's a different package. Also, the listing must be on February 3 or later.

I don't think byuu ever shared a full listing, but he did leak these 7 games on Reddit:

Quote from: byuu
Vampire's Kiss, Incantation, Hagane, Mega Man 7+X+X2+X3
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 01:56:12 pm by hex_usr »

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2017, 02:36:18 pm »
I know byuu doesn't want to hear "just wait a bit longer," but in m experience with every overseas package I've gotten, you kind of have to.  Stuff from my grandma in Sweden takes ~1 month to show up, and due to an incident with shipping a package from Korea took ~3-4 months to show up.  To top things off, there might have been some mix up on the senders end or something too.

All I can say is that in my experience, getting all the info together on the shipment and getting a hold of someone personally---on the phone or at your local post office---is the best way to figure out what's actually going on, especially if the package is in the US now.  I know some folks differ with me on this, but I've never had a problem getting issues ironed out with USPS when I track down a real human being to talk to.

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2017, 02:44:12 pm »
Well, once it gets in the US it usually only takes a few days or around a week to get to it's destination. I've ordered lots of stuff from oversees and it always takes close to a month to finally get to US. The guy should have used real shippinhg if he wanted it quick. And also insured it.

Also sometimes USPS forgets to scan packages and they might not get scanned the entire trip until it gets delivered. Since it's only been in the US since the 4th he's overreacting I think.

Anyway, why is Byuu even doing that? Redumping a games entire library just for your emulator seems stupid. How many years does he think it took to get as far as it has?

hex_usr

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2017, 03:00:47 pm »
Quote from: magictrufflez
getting all the info together on the shipment and getting a hold of someone personally---on the phone or at your local post office---is the best way to figure out what's actually going on
He's tried that and everything possible short of giving out his tracking number, which he won't give out except to a senior USPS executive. Here's his request on Reddit, for example.

If by some chance the package does arrive at byuu's house, he will scan the games, and (though he hasn't said anything on this hypothetical scenario) he might send them back using UPS, which is more expensive than USPS, and possibly have the sender refund him for the reimbursements he's paid so far (if any; he just started today). It's still unlikely he will accept future packages after that, though. He was pretty insistent that the SNES preservation project is dead.

Quote from: MathUser2929
Anyway, why is Byuu even doing that? Redumping a games entire library just for your emulator seems stupid. How many years does he think it took to get as far as it has?
By doing this, byuu has actually discovered corrupted bytes in a few No-Intro ROMs. Here's his analysis of Spider-Man & Venom: Maximum Carnage (EUR) (1.0). Thought No-Intro was trustworthy? Nope. They marked this corrupted dump as verified.

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2017, 03:01:22 pm »
Judging from the comments, I think everyone here needs to tell Byuu to calm down, and wait for a bit longer. I've a friend who had trouble with overseas tracking as well, and it does take way longer than it should sometimes.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2017, 03:25:19 pm »

More dumps can't hurt. I've redumped hundreds of games and came up with a handful of differences:
Energy Breaker: previous dump turned out to be a copier hack with hacked "good" checksum.
Popeye (SFC): one byte + header difference. Unsure what effect.
Spot: The Cool Adventure (GB): previous dump had mangled title in the header but somehow was otherwise identical.
Power Racer (GB): dumped from US cart, turned out different than previous "US/Europe" dump.
Sylvestor & Tweety (Genesis): found what was previously identified as a "Europe" ROM turned up on US cart. My speculation (according to a GamePro reader letter from late 1994, stating the game got a last-minute delay before the original planned release due to a publisher change) is that the previously identified "US" ROM was a late beta, and the "Europe" ROM was final. I see they have changed the game status to unverified with that info.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2017, 03:33:05 pm »
He's tried that and everything possible short of giving out his tracking number, which he won't give out except to a senior USPS executive.

I have a lot sympathy for byuu in this situation, but I just see this as a bit unreasonable, and probably why he's not getting a ton of help (I'm not sure any senior USPS people get involved with individual missing packages regardless of value).  I'm sure he has good reasons for not wanting to give out the tracking number to anyone, but as far as I know USPS would need that info to do some sort of actual investigation.  You definitely would need to give more info than what was just in those delivery scans.