News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Comix Zone - Unofficial Fan Port for NES (NEED HELP IN REALIZATION!)  (Read 3331 times)

lancuster

• View Profile
Hi to everyone. I'm looking for people who can help in the realization of my project. It is planned to make a similar port of the same game based on engine of the game "Titenic" - 2D beat-em' up by Hummer Team (fixed by CaH4e3).
Current changes:

Original font for text also included.
(character sprites coming soon)
What is needed:
* Assistance in obtaining levels
* Assistance in inserting new cutscenes
* Help in changing the music in all game
* Programmer's help or advanced romhacker
For its part, I can make sprites characters (in this hack can play as Sketch and for Alice) and clearance levels (graphics, level design).
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 06:45:42 pm by lancuster »

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
Re: Comix Zone - Unofficial Fan Port for NES (NEED HELP IN REALIZATION!)
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 05:35:46 pm »
Why would you want to make a ROM hack of a shitty bootleg NES game with shitty broken physics?

I think it'd be much more impressive if you did a homebrew SNES port instead. It could be more colorful and, well, comic-like, and the music could end up sounding a lot better too. (Actually there are a lot of Genesis games I'd like to see homebrew SNES ports of...)

lancuster

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 06:52:20 pm »
Why would you want to make a ROM hack of a shitty bootleg NES game with shitty broken physics?

I think it'd be much more impressive if you did a homebrew SNES port instead. It could be more colorful and, well, comic-like, and the music could end up sounding a lot better too. (Actually there are a lot of Genesis games I'd like to see homebrew SNES ports of...)
I would love to see Comix Zone on SNES, but, unfortunately, I don't understand programming, especially on the SNES. And I don't know people versed in this matter. That's why I'm looking for people to create a port for more well-known console, in which I have at least something to do I can.
P. S.: besides, "Titenic" is now fixed. No broken physics anymore. :)

February 12, 2017, 10:46:53 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Midna, to the word. Comix Zone was also on the GBA. Don't you hate that?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 10:46:53 am by lancuster »

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 06:17:29 am »
I don't see what the problem is? Lots of games were ported to the GBA. Unless it was Sonic Genesis evels of bad, what's the issue?

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 03:07:47 pm »
It almost is on that level, except for the music.
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

Granville

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 12:08:41 am »
Comix Zone GBA reminds me of what they did to the DKC ports as well. GBA had a lower screen resolution than Genesis or SNES and developers generally chose to just crop the field of view for their ports. But like DKC, Comix Zone GBA instead scaled the graphics themselves to fit the smaller resolution. All the backgrounds and sprites are smaller and lack their original detail. But beyond this, there are also a ton of missing frames of animation, visual effects (particularly lighting or water ripples) etc. Also got the traditional brightening many GBA ports got too.

But unlike the DKC ports which at least play similarly to the originals, Comix Zone also really crapped up the controls and hit detection. Plays a bit slower as well, with further slowdown and framerate problems. It isn't as unplayable or horrific as Sonic Genesis (or even the Earthworm Jim games), but it is still bad. Sonic and EWJ require precise platforming, so having accurate physics and collision detection is far more critical to being able to play them than a beat em up.

Here is a comparison video someone made of the two versions, though it doesn't do full justice to showing how badly the GBA version actually plays-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qx3CbIBp984

Would be interesting to see someone take a crack at a proper port on GBA, similar to what Stealth did for Sonic 1. Or a SNES version.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 12:16:48 am by Granville »

sics

• Contact me!
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart: Terwilf
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 05:11:15 pm »
 Hello, you can optimize your work using Color Quantizer .

-click to shrink image-

Guide:

I really like your proposal, successes!!! :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 05:16:34 pm by sics »

lancuster

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 06:30:57 pm »
Hello, you can optimize your work using Color Quantizer .

-click to shrink image-

Guide:

I really like your proposal, successes!!! :thumbsup:
Thanks. ;)
I really want to do this picture much better, but the palette blocks are compressed. I can't change it. :(
Bur I will try.
P. S.: I still need a help with coding and music. It is necessary to do a lot of work. 8)

sics

• Contact me!
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart: Terwilf
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2017, 09:56:01 pm »
Thanks. ;)
I really want to do this picture much better, but the palette blocks are compressed. I can't change it. :(
Bur I will try.
P. S.: I still need a help with coding and music. It is necessary to do a lot of work. 8)

Exactly, you did an excellent job adapting the image and I liked the palette update :thumbsup:, some time ago I had seen the ROM to replace the word "Titenic" and I know what you're talking about...

As point apart, those who have great knowledge would be great to join this project this game despite the bugs has a lot of potential in its engine, Luck!

Spoiler:
  Exacto, has hecho un excelente trabajo adaptándolo la imagen y me gusto la actualización de paleta, hace un tiempo había visto la ROM para reemplazar la palabra "Titenic" y se de lo que hablas...

Como punto aparte, aquellos que tengan el conocimiento seria genial que se sumaran a este proyecto este juego a pesar de los fallos tiene mucho potencial en su motor, Suerte!

lancuster

• View Profile
Work on the hack is suspended indefinitely. Sorry for the inconvenience. :'(