News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: ZELDA: A link to the Past DX - SNES - GAMEBROKEN - BUG - PLZ HELP  (Read 7132 times)

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: ZELDA: A link to the Past DX - SNES - GAMEBROKEN - BUG - PLZ HELP
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2017, 07:56:25 pm »
I have no idea what that means.
It means that .srm file you uploaded might not be what you think it is.

I have uploaded my .srm file Here:  http://www.filedropper.com/legendofzeldathe-alinktothepastdxusamsu-1hackbyconqwertymodov13
The standard Link to the Past saveram is 8 KB; this file is 128 KB.  It also appears to be 100% empty space (just 0xFF repeated 131,072 times).  There's no way you should be able to even use that with Higan or Retroarch at all.

I have never used Retroarch or Higan, but that page I linked to suggests you should be looking for a file named save.ram.

By the way, you're actually using the game's in-game save function (press Select, choose Save and Quit) and not just using savestates, right?
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

ULTIMATEMALE420

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2017, 02:15:06 am »
It means that .srm file you uploaded might not be what you think it is.
The standard Link to the Past saveram is 8 KB; this file is 128 KB.  It also appears to be 100% empty space (just 0xFF repeated 131,072 times).  There's no way you should be able to even use that with Higan or Retroarch at all.

I have never used Retroarch or Higan, but that page I linked to suggests you should be looking for a file named save.ram.

By the way, you're actually using the game's in-game save function (press Select, choose Save and Quit) and not just using savestates, right?

You are right, the file I have been copying over is not the save file. apparantly the actual file is only 8kb LOL

I belive this is actual Save file:  http://www.filedropper.com/loz3-dx  as I finally loaded it in SNES9x

February 10, 2017, 02:34:24 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

UPDATE:   I have now got it working in snes9x and applied cheat code:  7EF05181  As suggested by qwertymodo.  Many Thanks @Qwertymodo  The door in the dunegeon is now open.  I can now proceed. 

I have now exported the save file back to higan core within retroarch and loaded it there and the door is open there now as well :)

Now 1 final thing on my mind:  Do I have to turn the cheat code 7EF05181 off ? Now that the door is fixed ?  I have no clue in regards to how these action replay codes work technically work. 

So now I have to fight and beat the boss a 2nd time but I don't really mind that :D

Many thanks to all for contributing to the thread and taking the time to read my posts and write replies.  Thanks to all.

Special Thanks to @Qwertymodo for making the Patch / Mod for Zelda.  Its nice breaking pots with sword :) 

My BLIND RUN of ZELDA : A Link to the Past     Has been ressurected :)

« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 02:35:13 am by ULTIMATEMALE420 »

assassin

• View Profile
    • My Barren Webpage
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2017, 01:52:28 pm »
save and quit with the cheat code on, turn it off, then reload your saved game.

glad it's finally working.  good catch by Jorpho on that file being empty; i knew 128KB was a huge size, but wasn't sure what to think with it being a hack, and the emulator being one i'd never used.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2017, 09:41:40 pm »
Now 1 final thing on my mind:  Do I have to turn the cheat code 7EF05181 off ? Now that the door is fixed ?  I have no clue in regards to how these action replay codes work technically work.
In this case all it's really doing is altering a single byte (or rather, a single bit) of the save RAM, so no, there's nothing further you need to do.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

qwertymodo

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2017, 04:32:39 pm »
I just realized that when I watched the video, I skipped through it to see if it was the same bug I was already aware of.  The fix in v1.6 addressed the closed door in the first room of the dungeon, but I have no idea why you lost the crystal.  If anybody experiences that again in v1.6, please let me know, and please try to recall exactly what you did as closely as possible from the time you got the crystal to the time you reloaded and discovered that the crystal was missing.  It's possible that the two issues were related, but they could also be two separate issues, and if that's the case, then the crystal could still be bugged.

Also, for future reference, contact me for support, not Conn.  I credited him because I used a lot of his code, but he is not directly related to the project, and will most likely direct you to me for support if you do try to contact him.

And if anybody comes across this in the future experiencing the same issue because you're using an older build, here are the relevant cheat codes:

Unlock the door: 7EF05181
Have crystals 1+2: 7EF37A03

Load your game, enable the cheats, save your game, disable the cheats.  This should fix your save file.  However, if you continue using the older ROM, it will re-trigger the bug and you'll have to do it again.  If you update to the fixed ROM, the fix should be permanent once you save the game with the cheats on.

assassin

• View Profile
    • My Barren Webpage
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2017, 05:25:46 pm »
- the crystal code i posted, 7EF37A12, is based on MoN's SRAM data.  are you saying it's wrong, or that DX changes the order for some reason?

- OP said there's a good chance he forgot to Save and Quit after finishing the dungeon.