News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ZELDA: A link to the Past DX - SNES - GAMEBROKEN - BUG - PLZ HELP  (Read 5986 times)

ULTIMATEMALE420

• View Profile
OK I was Live Streaming a Blind Run of Zelda: A link to the past:  I saw a "DX" version.  That claimed of making game improvemenst to the game and decided to play that instead of the Vanilla Rom.

After beating Swamp Palace and defeating the boss, getting the sling shot hook and getting the 2nd Crystal and another heart I ended my session.

When I started the next session a few days later..

I ended up encountering this game breaking bug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_3pz00dThk

I was somehow using a 2014 version of the patch I have now patched it to the latest 2017 version.   It still boots the same Sram Save File but the game broken bug is still intact. Is there anyway for me to revive this save file so I don't have to start over.  I would really appreciate it. 

Many Thanks.

assassin

• View Profile
    • My Barren Webpage
Re: ZELDA: A link to the Past DX - SNES - GAMEBROKEN - BUG - PLZ HELP
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 08:58:08 pm »
first, make a backup of the .srm file just in case.  from MathOnNapkins' SRM document:

Code: [Select]
Crystals:           $37A. Bit 0: Misery Mire
                          Bit 1: Dark Palace
                          Bit 2: Ice Palace
                          Bit 3: Turtle Rock
                          Bit 4: Swamp Palace
                          Bit 5: Gargoyle's Domain
                          Bit 6: Skull Woods

so using a PAR code of F37A12 (assuming you haven't beaten any dungeons besides those two since), saving your game, then resetting, turning off the PAR code, and reloading the save should solve it.

if DX changed this SRAM data from vanilla, there'll be problems, but i doubt it does.

ULTIMATEMALE420

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 11:11:51 pm »
Many Thanks for your swift response.  Unfortunately I do not understand / know how to do what you suggest.

to be clear i am using higan accuracy v0.94 core inside of retroarch.  I have backed up my  .srm file. 

I understand (or at least I think I understand) That you are suggesting to turn the possesion of the 2nd cyrstal on / off .  Problem is I do not understand / know how to do it. 

I have uploaded my .srm file Here:  http://www.filedropper.com/legendofzeldathe-alinktothepastdxusamsu-1hackbyconqwertymodov13

Many Thanks

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 12:20:41 am »
He's talking about using a cheat code, but considering how retarded Higan is I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't have such a function.
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...

assassin

• View Profile
    • My Barren Webpage
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 10:34:36 am »
I understand (or at least I think I understand) That you are suggesting to turn the possesion of the 2nd cyrstal on / off .  Problem is I do not understand / know how to do it.

well, then now's the time to learn, if you want to proceed in the game. :P

explore the emulator's menus some.  there should be something like Tools -> Cheat Editor.  if that's not it, go through every last one until you find something concerning "cheats" or "codes".

ULTIMATEMALE420

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2017, 11:49:18 am »
I found the cheat editor in retroarch.

I input the code: F37A12  > I then loaded my save game and  saved and quit.  Then restarted game and nothing.  I have tried this code several times and it does not seem to make any changes.  The dungeon door is still locked the key is used and the boss is respawned and i have no 2nd cyrstal.  Yet i have all the items from the dungeon.  "Hookshot, compass, map" ect ect

I'm confused :(

assassin

• View Profile
    • My Barren Webpage
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2017, 12:06:35 pm »
i screwed up..  :-[  make that 7EF37A12.  in case my last incomplete code wrote to the wrong area, copy your backup .SRM over your current one before trying this.

ULTIMATEMALE420

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2017, 12:23:02 pm »
Nope even that code wont work :(

Lance

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2017, 02:35:15 pm »
This code allows you to always have one key, even if you use it to open a door:

7EF36F:01

I couldn't find anything to specifically give you the second crystal as the closest code would give you all the crystals.

You should contact the author who made the patch about this game-breaking bug. Since you streamed/recorded the gameplay, it should make his life a lot easier trying to figure out what went wrong.

ULTIMATEMALE420

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2017, 03:09:54 pm »
Thanks for your response Lance.  The infinite "1 key" could potentially be a way of overcomming the bug.

However the cheat code you suggested also did not work.  :(

February 08, 2017, 03:11:48 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
These two people are the ones who released the patch:  unfortunately I do not know how to contact them.  :(

"Con"  = http://www.romhacking.net/community/1110/

"Qwertymodo" = http://www.romhacking.net/community/3388/

qwertymodo

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2017, 03:30:58 pm »
Yes, this was a pesky bug that I thought I had fixed a few versions back, but only finally fixed it for real with v1.6.  Basically, what happens is that when you pull the lever to open the floodgates, it closes that door, due to a weird bug with the editor I used to modify the title screen (Hyrule Magic is absolute garbage...).  The first time through, it's not a problem because the door is supposed to be closed, but if you don't finish the dungeon in a single playthrough and try to come back, the bug hits you.  Simple fix, cheat code 7EF05181, save and quit should permanently fix the save file.  Sorry about that!

ULTIMATEMALE420

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2017, 03:42:38 pm »
Thanks for your swift reply @qwertymodo

Unfortunately the cheat code you suggested to my suprise also does not work.  I am entering the cheat code in retroarch using the higan core.  Since that that is the core I used to play and I could not get my save file load in SNES 9x.

Do I have any other options to save me from starting over ??

Many Thanks

February 08, 2017, 05:02:12 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Yes, this was a pesky bug that I thought I had fixed a few versions back, but only finally fixed it for real with v1.6.  Basically, what happens is that when you pull the lever to open the floodgates, it closes that door, due to a weird bug with the editor I used to modify the title screen (Hyrule Magic is absolute garbage...).  The first time through, it's not a problem because the door is supposed to be closed, but if you don't finish the dungeon in a single playthrough and try to come back, the bug hits you.  Simple fix, cheat code 7EF05181, save and quit should permanently fix the save file.  Sorry about that!

Watching the stream before last where I beat the dungeon the last stream was the one where I encountered the bug.
I did infact beat the dungeon in one sitting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIGFTzd848g  <  watch the last  5-10 mins of video and you will see.

it seems I may have forgotten to "Save & Exit"

But this don't explain why the cheat codes you have given me to  try to fix issue won't work  :(
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 05:02:12 pm by ULTIMATEMALE420 »

assassin

• View Profile
    • My Barren Webpage
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2017, 05:50:51 pm »
look for an option in the emulator to Enable Cheat Codes or something similar.

ULTIMATEMALE420

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2017, 06:42:48 pm »
Tried that only cheat options are available after loading the game.   You apply cheat passes (the number of cheats you want to activate)  Then the codes for the cheats.  The code then gets its own On / Off switch Which I put to "ON" then I reset the rom and try and nothing happens.  save and quit (in game) and try nothing happens.   With none of the codes that people have suggested.

:(

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2017, 11:59:21 pm »
Since that that is the core I used to play and I could not get my save file load in SNES 9x.
Well, what did you do to load your save file in SNES 9x?

If you start fresh in SNES9x, then SNES9x should create its own .srm file somewhere.  You should be able to copy your old .srm file over that fresh .srm and thus load your save file.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

ULTIMATEMALE420

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2017, 08:51:44 am »
Well, what did you do to load your save file in SNES 9x?

If you start fresh in SNES9x, then SNES9x should create its own .srm file somewhere.  You should be able to copy your old .srm file over that fresh .srm and thus load your save file.

I tried that it did not work :(

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2017, 09:05:42 am »
I did a quick search and according to https://byuu.org/emulation/higan/game-paks , Higan doesn't actually use the old .srm naming convention anymore.  Perhaps that is the problem?
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

ULTIMATEMALE420

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2017, 10:15:21 am »
I have no idea what that means.  I have uploaded and linked the .SRM file in my 2nd post in the thread.

Its strange you say it does not use the .srm format yet thats what it produced inside retro arch.  I was using retroarch version 1.36  (I'm aware 1.41 recently came out a few days ago)  with higan core 0.94.

I tried the cheats in retroarch they did not work i tried to copy the save file over to SNES9x and try to load the file there and it did not work :(

So now I am totally lost :(

assassin

• View Profile
    • My Barren Webpage
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2017, 10:45:21 am »
I tried the cheats in retroarch they did not work i tried to copy the save file over to SNES9x and try to load the file there and it did not work :(

what happened, specifically?  cut out the boilerplate "it did not work :(" in every post; it's making you seem like a bot.

to be sure, you copy the higan .SRM file to where Snes9x is keeping its .SRM file, then you tell Snes9x to load the *ROM* file, not the save file.

ULTIMATEMALE420

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2017, 11:08:26 am »

to be sure, you copy the higan .SRM file to where Snes9x is keeping its .SRM file, then you tell Snes9x to load the *ROM* file, not the save file.

That is pretty much what I did.  I copied the .srm file from the save folder of retroarch.  Not the state folder which the emulator specific save. (which I now regret not using but anyway) I copied the .srm file to the saves folder of the snes.9x.   Tried to boot the rom and zelda did not load my game file.

Then i tried to start a fresh game of zelda in snes9x and see if it came up with different file name it did.  but same extention .srm  So I renamed the .srm file from retroacrch to match the one snes9x would create.  Tried to boot the rom again in snes9x and still no luck.