News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Asking for help.  (Read 1070 times)

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
Asking for help.
« on: February 07, 2017, 05:40:35 pm »

Remember, people here are here because they are in their leisure time. I myself have nothing but (for reasons that are personal in the extreme), however, this is 99.9% not true of the rest of Romhacking.net. They are mostly busy busy people.

If you want help, remember that you are approaching hobbyists who do not feel it is at all an obligation to help anyone with anything unless it sounds fun to do and interesting to do, really. Even in those cases, you will often meet rejection for lack of time needed to do the thing you want to do.

Don't feel bad. Romhacking is a hobby and it is one of the only hobbies that can never be anything but a hobby because of a lot of reasons, which I don't feel like going into.

Enjoy yourself. If you have questions, just enjoy yourself as you ask, and don't depend on an answer that will help. Have fun. This is one half school, and one half playground, and if you just be nice and learn and play, you are golden.

~ Spoons
Yamero~~!

BlackDog61

• View Profile
    • Super Robot Wars A Portable translation thread
Re: Asking for help.
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 07:08:31 pm »
(Since this seems relatively geared towards newcomers)
I'd like to add that romhacking is a very time consuming activity per se. Where model painting can take anywhere from 5 to 60 hours per model, romhacking starts at a few hours if you have the Devil's luck, and goes to actual, real, physical years for things like RPG translations and such.
This means 2 things.
When you're asking for help for someone to do something for you, you're actually asking for a lot of time, not for someone to take a ride to the nearest shop and bring nachos back.
It also (and more importantly) means that you, yourself, have to consider that you will need time to invest, and need to accept that you need to give yourself time to learn and progress. Because of that, just like for a marathon, you need to realize and be happy with every small step you take, even if it's just a step out of the whole run. You will read a lot from people that you have to break a complex task into small pieces, a complex question into smaller ones you can answer. This is linked to that.

When you look at the numbers, you'd think they're against this art. A small 50-lines C program can generate hundreds of ASM instructions, and what we get is the latter. I personally find it amazingly interesting that we can translate games at all with this. And yet we can. Take this as a mystery, a puzzle to explore, and carve your path forth.