News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: The hardest game you ever played.  (Read 23573 times)

Zero Meaning

• View Profile
Re: The hardest game you ever played.
« Reply #80 on: June 06, 2021, 12:00:47 pm »
Fuck you, Rare. Sure, just dump me into a level with a new game mechanic where I have to make a Spring-Loaded Snake I've never met and don't care about, jump really high, and don't fucking bother to tell me how unless I look it up online or read the manual, then start filling the level with toxic waste.
This isn't quite true. You're introduced to Rattly in the first world, and even if you never read the manual, the button to make him jump high is written out in bananas. There are several other points in the game where Rattly appears, and there's even a level where you're forced to play as him (Rattle Battle). The rising water mechanic is also used in a previous level (Slime Climb).

With any older game, the manual contains most of the story, the controls, and various other important pieces of information. Nowadays, we're spoiled by games with baked-in tutorials. Back then, reading a manual was the norm. Now that the internet is widespread, it's not too hard to skim through a pdf online.

I will 100% agree with you that the level you had problems with is difficult. It was a wall for me too back in the '90s. The later race level (Screech's Sprint) is also tough as nails, iirc.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 06, 2021, 12:51:29 pm »
With any older game, the manual contains most of the story, the controls, and various other important pieces of information.
Eh, maybe not any older game. There are absolutely some poorly-written and incomplete manuals out there.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

cccmar

• View Profile
    • Nebulous Translations site
« Reply #82 on: June 06, 2021, 01:01:29 pm »
With any older game, the manual contains most of the story, the controls, and various other important pieces of information. Nowadays, we're spoiled by games with baked-in tutorials. Back then, reading a manual was the norm. Now that the internet is widespread, it's not too hard to skim through a pdf online.

Had the same problems when it comes to stages, mainly because Battletoads is mostly about memorization. I didn't find it insanely difficult once you remember things, but yeah, that's another thing.

And yeah, we tend to forget about it nowadays, but back then you'd use the manuals much more often (and guides, especially in Japan; they had them for every single game in existence, it would seem). Nowadays you just check things online and you'll find tons of info on most games, unless they're some "very" obscure regional exclusives.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 02:51:03 pm by cccmar »

Zero Meaning

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 06, 2021, 02:48:06 pm »
back then you'd use the manuals much more often (and guides, especially in Japan; they had them for every single game in existence, it would seem).

Yes, and helplines, too. Part of the reason why many games back then were so tough must have been to make money from people calling in or getting a Nintendo Power subscription.

Back on topic, the hardest game I've played has to be Ghosts 'n Goblins. I can barely get past the first guy, not to speak of the rest of it. While I never owned that, I did have Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts, which was also pretty difficult (I never beat it until later with save states). The fact that you're forced to play through the games in that franchise twice to get the true ending is absolutely sadistic.

Has anyone mentioned the Disney games? Some of those were utterly ruthless. I'm thinking of The Lion King, Aladdin, etc. In that whole era, companies were trying to crack down on customers abusing rentals, so they made the games so hard that it was more worth it to simply buy the games rather than renting multiple times. That was really the only way to dedicate enough time to be able to beat them.

Let's also not forget the Super Star Wars trilogy. Holy crap, were those games bullshit. Especially Empire. Just ridiculous.

Noside

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 06, 2021, 03:28:08 pm »
Wanna go insane? play Legacy of the Wizard for the NES witout a guide, that frustrated me and it's impossible.

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 07, 2021, 06:19:52 am »
This isn't quite true.

Help, I've been "well ackshually"-d! :D Hehehe

There was a lot about that game that frustrated the hell out of me, which reading the manual or knowing the mechanics would not have helped with, though. I was trying to keep it concise for the sake of brevity.
Yamero~~!

Zero Meaning

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 07, 2021, 07:20:04 am »
Help, I've been "well ackshually"-d! :D Hehehe

There was a lot about that game that frustrated the hell out of me, which reading the manual or knowing the mechanics would not have helped with, though. I was trying to keep it concise for the sake of brevity.

Yeah, sorry about that!

I grew up with DKC1 and 2, so spent many hours getting 'good' at them (I still suck). Many consider DKC2 to be the hardest of the original trilogy, which could very well be true; several of the late levels are bonkers. Just now went through a few levels and forgot how awful Animal Antics is.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 07, 2021, 10:28:57 am »
Seems to me that trying to get 101% completion in DKC1 without a guide is a rather mind-melting endeavor. But I must confess I have yet to play DKC2.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Eldrethor

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 08, 2021, 01:56:14 am »
Yeah, sorry about that!

I grew up with DKC1 and 2, so spent many hours getting 'good' at them (I still suck). Many consider DKC2 to be the hardest of the original trilogy, which could very well be true; several of the late levels are bonkers. Just now went through a few levels and forgot how awful Animal Antics is.

Oh god, Squawks' section in Animal Antics is the reason why I get shudders from hearing Stickerbush Symphony. The beehive levels were also miserable though, with the worst of them being Parrot Chute Panic with purple Squawks.