News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: The hardest game you ever played.  (Read 23571 times)

pianohombre

• View Profile
    • My personal website of short stories and comics
Re: The hardest game you ever played.
« Reply #60 on: June 02, 2017, 04:43:03 pm »
Pretty much stuff you guys already mentioned. I can re-iterate that ice man stage & yellow devil are difficult in mm1. kaizo smw, deus ex human revolution (first boss was a challenge), sega genesis battle toads, ghosts and goblins. A lot of games that were created on a low-budget after a successful movie, or tv show were just difficult because the company sucked at making videogames, or couldn't get the controls to work properly. I could list a million examples, but just 2 examples are SNES Home Alone 2 and Sega Genesis Beavis and Butthead.
"Programming in itself is beauty,
whether or not the operating system actually functions." - Linus Torvalds

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 02, 2017, 07:20:43 pm »
Home Alone 2 was by Imagineering, who made a lot of licensed garbage for THQ and Acclaim, but from memory HA2 might have been one of their (relatively!) better games (I mean, it's crap but I at least played to the third level with savestates). Swamp Thing for the NES, now there's an example of one that is a struggle to finish even the first stage.

I finished SNES Rocky & Bullwinkle (with savestates, adult me was glad 10-year-old me gave up on the second level) and that is definitely some kaizo-level bullshit. And yet the NES version seems to have even worse problems that kaizo difficulty.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

SleepyFist

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 02, 2017, 08:09:35 pm »
I know it's a given when user made levels come into the mix
but I used to make the best N+ DS levels, my favorite was one with a central room that branched into aprox 6 separate locked chambers filled with a gauntlet of meticulously placed hazards, turrets, and bots, that had to be run quickly, in numbered order, and with pixel perfect accuracy, while flipping switches more often than not obscured by gold or enemies.

I managed to complete them all separately so I know it was possible, but never as a linked whole, throw lag into the mix and it was damn near impossible to play.

My friends never really played my levels, they discovered the ninja suicide button and that was all she wrote.

there's also Syoban Action, aka Cat Mario, don't know if it's been mentioned yet,
and Eternal Champions a game I dearly love, but has an AI so overwhelmingly beastly I can barely get three levels in at best.

gamingcat02261991

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 19, 2021, 04:09:16 am »
Unless you're willing to input a button combination during the game's opening screens to access a cheat menu, Rocky Rodent on SNES (one of the many Sonic clones of the 90's) will give you a very hard time, especially when trying to go for a perfect score.

PositiveVibesOnly

• Hello if you aren't one of "them"
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 20, 2021, 03:33:42 pm »
Silver Surfer was a tough one for me.
The shadows are increasing in numbers. Let's shed some light on things shall we?

MysticLord

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 20, 2021, 06:34:02 pm »
Unless you're willing to input a button combination during the game's opening screens to access a cheat menu, Rocky Rodent on SNES (one of the many Sonic clones of the 90's) will give you a very hard time, especially when trying to go for a perfect score.
Are you by any chance VeghEsther, formerly of GameFAQs?

pianohombre

• View Profile
    • My personal website of short stories and comics
« Reply #66 on: May 22, 2021, 04:26:26 pm »
Currently it's Dark Souls

I have Dark Souls 2. That game is nuts but at least you can save at bonfires
"Programming in itself is beauty,
whether or not the operating system actually functions." - Linus Torvalds

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 23, 2021, 02:21:25 am »
Ok so this thread is back, you know what? I'm down to clown.

I had said Ninja Gaiden 1 was the hardest game I'd ever played, but for the sake of continuing the discussion I'll name another. A friend of mine and I recently Netplayed Donkey Kong Country 2.

Fuck you, Rare. Sure, just dump me into a level with a new game mechanic where I have to make a Spring-Loaded Snake I've never met and don't care about, jump really high, and don't fucking bother to tell me how unless I look it up online or read the manual, then start filling the level with toxic waste.

No, fuck you and your collect-a-thon garbage to hell. Get that shit outta here.
Yamero~~!

Mafoo343

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 23, 2021, 03:21:42 am »
For me, the hardest game I've ever beaten, hands down, would have to be Mega Man 2.

Honorable mentions go to Gitaroo Man, Heart of Darkness and Halo 2 on Legendary, though admittedly those are still nowhere near as hard as Mega Man 2.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #69 on: May 23, 2021, 07:31:02 am »
Dragon's Lair for NES is pretty tuff. And Triad Stone for LA.
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

Supergamerguy

• Studio Ghibli fanatic, lover of all things MegaMan
    • View Profile
    • Supergamerguy's Romhacks
« Reply #70 on: May 23, 2021, 07:32:43 am »
Ok so this thread is back, you know what? I'm down to clown.

I had said Ninja Gaiden 1 was the hardest game I'd ever played, but for the sake of continuing the discussion I'll name another. A friend of mine and I recently Netplayed Donkey Kong Country 2.

Fuck you, Rare. Sure, just dump me into a level with a new game mechanic where I have to make a Spring-Loaded Snake I've never met and don't care about, jump really high, and don't fucking bother to tell me how unless I look it up online or read the manual, then start filling the level with toxic waste.

No, fuck you and your collect-a-thon garbage to hell. Get that shit outta here.

I agree with you on both accounts. Ninja Gaiden is really hard, especially with the respawn mechanics. And though I liked DKC2 a lot when I played it, I couldnt make it past that toxic sludge level with the Snake and haven't picked the game up since.
Mega Man 7 > 3 > 2 > 9 > Wily Wars (with SRAM hack) > 5 > 6 > 4 > Powered Up > V(GB) > 10 > 1 > The Power Fighters > The Power Battle > IV(GB) > III(GB) > II(GB) > Dr. Wily's Revenge(GB) > Mega Man 8 > Mega Man and Bass > Mega Man (Game Gear) > Mega Man and Bass - Challengers from the Future

KobaBeach

• bad smw asm hacker, bad programmer (he/they)
    • View Profile
    • a little house in the savannah
« Reply #71 on: May 25, 2021, 08:58:23 pm »
No ActRaiser 2. Shameful.
replace my bones with pocky and throw me down a stairwell

Sliver X

• der Wille zur Macht
    • View Profile
    • Panicus - A Fragment of Memory
« Reply #72 on: May 26, 2021, 10:46:45 am »
Ancient Domains of Mystery (PC): I've been playing it on and off since 1997 and still have never even come close to beating it.

Aceearly1993

• View Profile
    • 1993P Doubleguy at Youtube
« Reply #73 on: June 02, 2021, 05:18:04 am »
I would make a rather long list but untimately decided to not count self-impaled extra modes. Cyber Shadow, Rockman and Forte, Action Mogura.
Also Hollow Knight at the 4th and the final Pantheons. Those two Pantheons were utterly problematic design-wise.
if count extra modes, Blaster Master Zero (1) destroyer mode would also come into the Insane Difficulty shrine. Stuck at Venom Master for three to four hours before realizing it was impossible for my skill spec and commited rage quit. The thing: I know what its weakness is and how to deal damage to it, but due to problems with the game's perspective at top view and how the minons summoned by the boss attacks I simply can't keep the weakness weapon active, thus lead to thousands of deaths.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2021, 05:40:43 am by Aceearly1993 »
"Did you know when one's most desperation time is? It's when he was beaten up by someone critically...
And he can't find who caused this."

cccmar

• View Profile
    • Nebulous Translations site
« Reply #74 on: June 02, 2021, 06:13:54 am »
Pretty much any game that involves a lot of memorization and/or lots of luck - so, a good chunk of the 8-bit catalogue, especially NES games (is it just me, or are Master System games from that period generally easier? Well, My Hero wasn't.). Some examples from my POV (many of them were mentioned): Battletoads, The Immortal, Holy Diver, Amagon, Zelda II, The Simpsons games, Swamp Thing etc. On the other hand, I do not consider most JRPGs hard, because you can "usually" grind, unless the game limits that in some way - those are really tough, more often than not, and the balance is wacky (limited encounters/frequent instant death spells, for instance). There are exceptions though, like Phantasy Star 2; that game is tough no matter what.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2021, 06:20:36 am by cccmar »

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 03, 2021, 08:28:37 pm »
I eventually got perfect scores on every stage in Rhythm Heaven Megamix; that's got to be the most difficult thing I've experienced in recent memory. But then, it was really the Final Remix that gave me the most trouble; it's just so long. I accept that the Challenge Train stages are beyond me.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

kuja killer

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 03, 2021, 08:38:38 pm »
i'll reply to this. :) I dont really know off top of head about hardest game but...

i'm reminded of first time i played SNES final fantasy 5 for first time when i was 14 years old or something. well the "playstation 1 FF anthology" one since it wasnt officially in the US for SNES anyways...

i NEVER could freaking beat the final battle - "neo X-Death" no matter how many times i ever tried. i always thought that was the hardest final boss in any final fantasy i ever played in my life. i did not know about the real cheap "gil toss" trick to just kill anything with zero skill/effort.

I always tried to just play normally ya know ?? Never was able to beat him until like my 50th attempt or something. i didnt try to really focus on attacking all targets at once, cause that thing happens where if you kill 3 of the 4 targets, the last one will automatically switch to meteor and ultima (i think) permenately reguardless how much HP it has even if it's at the full 55,000 currently.

And thats why it was the hardest ever to me, and cause i was like 13 or 14 years old. :)

PolishedTurd

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 05, 2021, 11:49:08 am »
NES: Ghosts & Goblins, especially with that morale-crushing false ending and no saves. Battletoads, for brutal difficulty and limited continues. Contra without the 30 lives code. Ninja Gaiden 3, because of countless, cheap one-hit deaths from an airborne enemy into a pit. Mike Tyson's Punch Out, where you must develop lightning reflexes to defeat the namesake boss. Castlevania, requiring the mastery of clunky controls.

Eldrethor

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 06, 2021, 02:22:13 am »
Megaman & Bass (or Rockman & Forte). Of all the Megaman games I've played, I felt that this one was unreasonably hard. I eventually managed to beat it, but I was so put off by the ridiculous difficulty that I didn't even bother getting all of the collectable discs.

Supergamerguy

• Studio Ghibli fanatic, lover of all things MegaMan
    • View Profile
    • Supergamerguy's Romhacks
« Reply #79 on: June 06, 2021, 07:42:36 am »
Megaman & Bass (or Rockman & Forte). Of all the Megaman games I've played, I felt that this one was unreasonably hard. I eventually managed to beat it, but I was so put off by the ridiculous difficulty that I didn't even bother getting all of the collectable discs.

I was in that same boat sometime last year. I enjoyed playing it, but I had to play as Bass and use save states to make any progress, not to mention how difficult the King and Wily Stages were. There was no way I was going to replay the game to get some disc info at that point. :P
Mega Man 7 > 3 > 2 > 9 > Wily Wars (with SRAM hack) > 5 > 6 > 4 > Powered Up > V(GB) > 10 > 1 > The Power Fighters > The Power Battle > IV(GB) > III(GB) > II(GB) > Dr. Wily's Revenge(GB) > Mega Man 8 > Mega Man and Bass > Mega Man (Game Gear) > Mega Man and Bass - Challengers from the Future