News:

11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Main Menu

The hardest game you ever played.

Started by A.D.R.I.A.N, February 05, 2017, 10:11:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PresidentLeever

Holy Diver and Undead Line are pretty damn tough, and I agree with La Mulana.
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

Fennec-kun

I'd have to say either Devil May Cry 1 or 3, maybe 3.

Kallisto

Heracles 1 & 2, and the gameboy game are pretty hard.

the best armor will not save you.

lexluthermiester

How in hell did the NES Battletoads miss this list? That game was COMPLETE misery! Every other game mentioned in the thread can be beat if one gives enough tries, has patience and studies the game. Battletoads however? Forget it, you are not beating that game without an extreme amount of luck. Don't even bother playing two player. Spooniest mentioned swearing at people using Ninja Gaiden levels. For a while in high school calling someone "Battletoads" was a deep insult that only the gaming portion of the student body understood.

To date it is the only game I've owned and never beat without cheats. MegaMan2 on hard was easy by comparison. I literally daydreamed about finding the people who made the game to give them a swift kick in the crotch.

SleepyFist

Quote from: lexluthermiester on February 28, 2017, 01:13:04 AM
How in hell did the NES Battletoads miss this list? That game was COMPLETE misery! Every other game mentioned in the thread can be beat if one gives enough tries, has patience and studies the game. Battletoads however? Forget it, you are not beating that game without an extreme amount of luck. Don't even bother playing two player. Spooniest mentioned swearing at people using Ninja Gaiden levels. For a while in high school calling someone "Battletoads" was a deep insult that only the gaming portion of the student body understood.

To date it is the only game I've owned and never beat without cheats. MegaMan2 on hard was easy by comparison. I literally daydreamed about finding the people who made the game to give them a swift kick in the crotch.

Here's one from Cracked.com
QuoteYou played as Rash, Zitz, or Pimple, because we really were that dumb as kids, and their quest was to defeat the Dark Queen, because it's really easy to manipulate dumb kids. Battletoads wasn't a game, it was a secret project to electronically destroy the human soul. The game was harder than a diamond strap-on and did similar things to you when you played with it.

Either that or it was a secret project to trigger latent psychic powers, as that was the only way to get past the jet bike levels.

It was proof that kids would spend four months subjecting themselves to thumbscrews if that was what they'd spent their birthday money on. And it was jealous. It would murder your friendships to force you to spend more time with it, because friendly fire was always on. You had a better chance of staying friends with someone if you entered a Saw trap together.

Thumping each other was fun, but every Battletoad was equipped with the grappling equivalent of the double Vulcan Nerve Pinch: holding a friend or enemy above your head paralyzed them, while you could walk around the level, loudly wondering which instant death pit you'd cast them into. There was no way to break out. Wiggling your joystick might as well have been a euphemism for all the good it would do, and at least then you'd be showing them who could be the dickiest while playing together.

lexluthermiester

Bregalad

How in hell did the NES Battletoads miss this list? [...] Every other game mentioned in the thread can be beat if one gives enough tries, has patience and studies the game. Battletoads however? Forget it, you are not beating that game without an extreme amount of luck.
I didn't mention the game on purpose. Sure it is very hard but my opinion is that its difficulty is grossly exaggerated (by you and other people). I didn't beat BT myself but I reached level 10 (Rat Race) legimately, which is some 75% of the game (ok maybe not 75% of difficulties). There's so many games I cannot even beat level 1, so it'd be ridiculous for me to say Battletoads is harder than them.

Also the part about luck is completely wrong. Most of the game is very predictable and you just have to remember the exact movement you have to do and time it perfectly. A single mistake and you're dead. However it remains simple memorization. There is rarely more than 1 or 2 dangers simulteneously in BT, while some games throws dozens of bullets at you (i.e. Silver Surfer or King's Knight).

Bahamut ZERO

For me, it was The Lion King on Sega Genesis when I was little. It was miracle for me to get Simba to adulthood.

Fuck that stampede level.
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

lexluthermiester

Quote from: Bregalad on March 01, 2017, 02:02:04 AM
I didn't mention the game on purpose. Sure it is very hard but my opinion is that its difficulty is grossly exaggerated (by you and other people). I didn't beat BT myself but I reached level 10 (Rat Race) legimately, which is some 75% of the game (ok maybe not 75% of difficulties). There's so many games I cannot even beat level 1, so it'd be ridiculous for me to say Battletoads is harder than them.

Also the part about luck is completely wrong. Most of the game is very predictable and you just have to remember the exact movement you have to do and time it perfectly. A single mistake and you're dead. However it remains simple memorization. There is rarely more than 1 or 2 dangers simultaneously in BT, while some games throws dozens of bullets at you (i.e. Silver Surfer or King's Knight).

Ah damn, I'd forgotten about the nightmare of King's Knight!  :banghead: <shuddlers> Never played Silver Surfer, I'll take your word for it. Of course, then there's the garbage that was Hydlide. I HATED those effing wasps!!  >:(

Disch

Forget it, you are not beating [Battletoads] without an extreme amount of luck.

Battletoads requires exactly zero luck.  I can beat that game regularly with no game overs, warps or cheats.  It just takes practice.

QuoteDon't even bother playing two player.

2P is fun until Clinger Winger, which is actually broken and technically impossible.  But yeah 2P is hard.

QuoteMegaMan2 on hard was easy by comparison.

Megaman2 doesn't have a hard mode.  It has a "laughably easy" mode and a "still extremely easy" mode.  The weapons in MM2 are ridiculously overpowered.  Everyone knows about spamming Metal blade and how most bosses are weak to it, but there's also AirMan's gun which fills 70% of the screen and one-hit KOs most baddies (including the jumping mech suits), even on "difficult".  And even the oft-overlooked Woodman weapon which negates all difficulty in the areas where you have to ride that track thing (just throw in the shield and wait it out).  Plus woodman's shield completely destroys the metal drill things.  In fact, pretty much every enemy in that game is defeated in 1 hit if you use the right weapon.  And despite using all the different weapons constantly -- you never seem to run out of ammo because refills are overly abundant.

MM2 is not only the easiest MM game by far, but it's also one of the easiest NES platformers period.  Even on "difficult".  I can plow through that game without using E-tanks... and usually without even dying once.

Bregalad

QuoteBattletoads requires exactly zero luck.
Except for the fireball and missiles at Volkmire Inferno's race, which actually are random. As well as possibily some bosses with partially random behaviour.

QuoteThe weapons in MM2 are ridiculously overpowered.  Everyone knows about spamming Metal blade and how most bosses are weak to it
It's pretty simple to refrain using weapons, though - I do that most of the time - I only use them when compulsory. Only Wood Man is actually very hard to beat without a weapon (and Crash Man is hard until you know how to exploit it's AI).

QuoteMM2 is not only the easiest MM game by far, but it's also one of the easiest NES platformers period.
When I was starting to get interested in retro/NES games, it was the only game I could beat... so that means a lot of thigns :)

lexluthermiester

Sabin Stargem

La-Mulana.  Hell.  Temple.  My eyes.

SunGodPortal

Recently started playing Prince of Persia on the SNES. Death after death after death... I think I played it for about an hour and probably died about 40 times if not more. So far I've made it through about 10 screens. Now that I've got the hang of it I probably won't die as much but this is still very much a "you better know what to do or be able to think and react quick or it's back to the beginning" kinda game. Takes no prisoners, that's for sure.
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...

Me_Dave

The Legend of Double Moon, it takes about a week of level grinding before you can even get anywhere, IMOP it is the toughest RPG ever made, when you first start you can get killed in ever battle you encounter so you have to pray you survive just to earn experience, and though it seems like a dragon warrior clone on the surface it is no such thing, I don't even think it's related at all, and it should not be called such.

The Banana of M.U.G.E.N
They saw what the 600 Member's can do, lets show them what the 54,000 can do.

A.D.R.I.A.N

Final Fantasy for the NES (especially when taking the solo thief run).
Also, SMB: The Lost Levels and Kaizo Mario are the bane of my existence (Too many invisible blocks.....).
"I hate when mods don't let you ask for help."

geishaboy

My Hero for the Sega Master System.

Sweet tap-dancing Christ on a crumpet that game kicks my ass every time. Though it's one of those games that I personally find to be difficult, yet some of my friends didn't seem to have much trouble getting much further in the game than I ever could.

Spooniest

...That game where someone asks you if you want a hurtz donut is largely not one of my favorites
Yamero~~!

LPFREEZOL008

Megaman X4,X5 and X6, I hard time to defeat Sigma (2nd Form) and also even I set to Extreme Mode it still difficult and annoyed to beat him  >:( still this is a challenge and the best megaman series game ever.

Queen Zeal

Holy Diver- I can't get very far in it.
Mr.Gimmick-ugh
Battletoads- holy crap
Battle Kid:Mountain of Torment(accurate title)