News:

11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Main Menu

The hardest game you ever played.

Started by A.D.R.I.A.N, February 05, 2017, 10:11:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ultimaweapon

I have to add Strider for the NES because I could never pull off the wall jump. I still can't do the solo wall jump in Super Metroid, but at least it isn't needed to beat the game.

Karate Champ was also extremely difficult to beat in the arcade.

And I still don't know anyone who has beaten Chakan: The Forever Man on the Genesis
Trust in the Heart of the Cards

capncrunch992

The original Gradius III arcade ROM, not the revised version. I'm still not convinced the game is legitimately winnable until I see someone beat it under some kind of tournament standard. You can't credit feed your way through since there's no continue option.

I believe the developers did confirm each stage could be completed individually, but none of them actually did a complete playthrough of the entire game before it got shipped out.

Players were so pissed off by the absurd difficulty that Konami ended up recalling the cabinets. Were it not for the more simplified SFC home port, this game probably would have been kicked to the curb and never spoken of again.

SpookyElectric

Quote from: capncrunch992 on September 27, 2022, 11:39:06 PMThe original Gradius III arcade ROM, not the revised version. I'm still not convinced the game is legitimately winnable until I see someone beat it under some kind of tournament standard.

What if I told you there's people who've made it to loop 15 on one credit?

Quote from: capncrunch992 on September 27, 2022, 11:39:06 PMI believe the developers did confirm each stage could be completed individually, but none of them actually did a complete playthrough of the entire game before it got shipped out.

Players were so pissed off by the absurd difficulty that Konami ended up recalling the cabinets.

On a side note, curious to see a source on these claims. I know Truxton 2's developers admitted they couldn't clear their own game, but this is the first I'm hearing about Gradius 3 having that issue.

Never saw anything about a recall mentioned, either. If Konami didn't pull Detana Twinbee or Parodius Da from arcades (which somehow were even more punishing), I doubt they'd do it for this.

Aceearly1993

D1896 and Dark Dreams by Arkhouse Telegraph (https://arkhousetelegraph.blogspot.com/). Most likely the worst 2D action mechanic ever since commercial games left 16-bit era and moved further. I still don't know how exact goddamn reason why D1896 won't let you save mid-stage progress; as a result I really didn't have the physical powers to get through it in one sit.

REALLY worrying about the mental conditions of the main lead...
Quote"Did you know when one's most desperation time is? It's when he was beaten up by someone critically...
And he can't find who caused this."