News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Classic NES Series hacks  (Read 6183 times)

DeGamer

• View Profile
    • My vids & stuff
Classic NES Series hacks
« on: February 01, 2017, 12:15:11 pm »
Could you use some of the NES rom hacks for say Super Mario Bros in the Classic NES Series version of the same game for the GBA?
Yo were can I git dem roms at??!!11!
Oh shit you can hack games now???????
Translate my game pleeze!!!11!!1 It only haz a small exabyte block of text.
Can my avatar size be over 9000? Ppleeze! Me love you forevr longtime!!!111!1

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: Classic NES Series hacks
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 12:19:55 pm »
Not directly and I don't think it is a simple ROM injection either like some of the later virtual console stuff.

The GBA has two fantastic NES emulators in the form of pocketnes and HVCA though. Anything you can run a modded classic nes/famicom mini game from can run those too.

DeGamer

• View Profile
    • My vids & stuff
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 12:30:41 pm »
Not directly? Meaning there is another way? What do you mean by ROM injection?

I tried PocketNES on my GBA. It works well. I just don't like the way it looks due to the fact the resolution of the GBA is smaller than the one NES. The Classic NES series of games looks better. I do have a GBA flash cartridge. I was hoping to be able to use some rom hacks on the go on my GBA. My cell phone is out of the question. I tried various emulators on it before, but using touch screen controls for NES games is not all that great.

Bobolicious81

• Keeper of the Taco Sandwich
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 12:36:25 pm »
You can get Bluetooth controllers that clip onto your cell phone, and turn it into a nice little game console with physical buttons  :thumbsup:
That's what I do.

DeGamer

• View Profile
    • My vids & stuff
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 12:58:47 pm »
I've seen some of those controllers that clip on to your phone. But they are too large. Which one do you use? I also have an Nvidia Shield. As awesome as it is, it's too large for me to travel with it on a regular basis. I want something more compact that easily fits in your pocket like the GBA.

So what about the Classic NES Series games on the GBA for hacks? Aren't those just NES roms running on an emulator already? Or are the actual ports to the GBA?

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 03:30:58 pm »
They are emulated games, however they are not simple emulator wrappers like some later devices use and nobody has really bothered to look at what the changes were (at least that I have seen). Injection is the term used by people that insert other ROMs into premade emulators (I first saw it on the gamecube with the N64 emulators for the Zelda games, it might have been used for GC animal crossing's hidden NES stuff too but I missed all that, fast forward to the wii and 3ds and it is the standard term and often even the standard method in the case of the 3ds).

I agree the GBA resolution is not ideal and pocketnes scaling is somewhat sub optimal for some games (others in the crowd it is usually some type of tile cropping). However do try the HVCA emulator as its scaling method is different and works better for some games. http://pdroms.de/files/gameboyadvance/hvca-v1-40

Equally if you have a DS and DS flash cart then you have access to NESDS which is a great little emulator (even has a rewind function).

Can't speak to the phone/tablet stuff as I don't have such things.

Bobolicious81

• Keeper of the Taco Sandwich
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2017, 04:20:26 pm »
I used to use PocketNes on my GBA way way way back in 2003 or so, until my flash cart went to electronic heaven. It was ok for its time, but yeah, not the best. I had a Dingoo A320 a few years later and although it struggled with some SNES and GBA roms, it was a pretty neat little gadget. Not terribly sturdy though. My daughter who was 4 at the time dropped it and it died too.
The controller I use on my phone now is a Moga Hero. Its layout is pretty much identical to a PS3 controller, but its still fairly compact. I likes it a lot.

salvadorc17

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2017, 04:59:48 pm »
Will need a lot of work to convert those nes hacks into gba, will be better hacking GBA roms from start..

DeGamer

• View Profile
    • My vids & stuff
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2017, 03:03:12 pm »
They are emulated games, however they are not simple emulator wrappers like some later devices use and nobody has really bothered to look at what the changes were (at least that I have seen).

I see. Would be nice if the NES rom hacks could be used on them. I guess no on has looked at them due to the NES emus already on the GBA.  :-\

Injection is the term used by people that insert other ROMs into premade emulators (I first saw it on the gamecube with the N64 emulators for the Zelda games, it might have been used for GC animal crossing's hidden NES stuff too but I missed all that, fast forward to the wii and 3ds and it is the standard term and often even the standard method in the case of the 3ds).

Gotcha.  ;)  I and messed around with that some years back. I did manage to extract the Zelda Ocarina of Time N64 roms from the USA, PAL, & Japanese versions of the bonus discs (I still have them saved somewhere). I did see others replacing the N64 roms with other games, but I never bothered to try other games that were not Zelda because other people commented that other N64 games didn't work properly. I also managed to extract the NES games back then from all versions of Animal Crossing (USA, PAL, & Japanese) including the N64 version, something I have not seen anyone else even mention. They used a weird compression format. I never heard of anyone replacing the games and I never tried. But now I'm curious to see if other games would work (I still have my Gamecube so I may try it). I imagine people doing such things for the Wii, WiiU, and 3DS, but I don't have those systems. I stopped buying home consles back in 2008. I also sold most of my home consoles and only kept the ones I spent the most money on. I mainly game on my PC connected to a TV or portable consoles now.

I agree the GBA resolution is not ideal and pocketnes scaling is somewhat sub optimal for some games (others in the crowd it is usually some type of tile cropping). However do try the HVCA emulator as its scaling method is different and works better for some games. http://pdroms.de/files/gameboyadvance/hvca-v1-40

Equally if you have a DS and DS flash cart then you have access to NESDS which is a great little emulator (even has a rewind function).

Alright. I'll be sure to try it. Thanks.  :thumbsup: I do have a DS Lite, but no flash cart for it. I almost bought one but didn't because the NES resolution still doesn't fit on the screen like the GBA. It's closer but still not quite there.  :( Not only that the top screen on my DS flickers and the colors are all wrong. Don't know how that happened since I never dropped or hit it with anything.  :o It's the first system by Nintendo that I've had an issue with.

Can't speak to the phone/tablet stuff as I don't have such things.

No interest in them huh? Can't blame you. Never really cared for cell phones for personal use since the majority of people I know I see them in person on a regular basis. Even though I worked in three electronic stores years back I didn't have a cell phone until 2007. I needed it for my new job as a field tech. It was one of those Verizon flip phones. I remember they had games you could buy to play on them. My current job requires you to have either an Android or iPhone. So I upgraded to an Android. Would be the perfect thing that fits your pocket for retro gaming, but the touch screen controls I just can't get with.  :banghead:

I used to use PocketNes on my GBA way way way back in 2003 or so, until my flash cart went to electronic heaven. It was ok for its time, but yeah, not the best. I had a Dingoo A320 a few years later and although it struggled with some SNES and GBA roms, it was a pretty neat little gadget. Not terribly sturdy though. My daughter who was 4 at the time dropped it and it died too.

Me too.  :D I used to use it as well along with a GB emu which functions pretty much the same way, only that the GB resolution actually fits in the GBA screen. My GBA Flash Cart still works and I've had it for over 10 years now. Haven't even replaced the battery.   ;D The Dingoo A320 looks pretty cool.  :) I was thinking of getting that or something similar a while back but couldn't find anything that folds to protect the screen like the GBA SP does. If yours broke from just a few drops then I think I won't get it after all.  :-\ I've never dropped my GBA, but my phone has been dropped over 30 times ( I lost count at that point) and the damn thing still functions properly. It took some nasty hits on solid concrete, but it still runs like a champ.  Not even a crack on the screen :o

The controller I use on my phone now is a Moga Hero. Its layout is pretty much identical to a PS3 controller, but its still fairly compact. I likes it a lot.

Wow I never seen that one before. Hmm looks more like a Xbox 360 controller to me. But the fact that it also functions as a portable charger for you phone is awesome.  :woot!: I don't think I've seen that on any other similar controller. If I can fit that thing in my pocket then I'm sold.   :cookie:

Will need a lot of work to convert those nes hacks into gba, will be better hacking GBA roms from start..

I see. Damn.  :( Well maybe I'll look further into it.  :beer:

Asaki

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2017, 02:28:36 am »
I tried PocketNES on my GBA. It works well. I just don't like the way it looks due to the fact the resolution of the GBA is smaller than the one NES. The Classic NES series of games looks better.

Most of those official NES titles have modified graphics to look better with the scaling algorithm that *cough cough* just happens to be the same one that PocketNES uses ;)

Super Mario Bros. 1 is not one of those games, though. It just flickers really badly.

You could probably apply ROM hacks to them, but the ROMs themselves seem to be compressed, so it would probably take some work to get them out and put them back in again. Might be easier to just extract the modified graphics, apply them to an NES ROM, and run them in PocketNES with the scaling options.

I do have a DS Lite, but no flash cart for it.
My GBA Flash Cart still works and I've had it for over 10 years now.

If you can borrow a DS flash cart from someone, or one of those old "key" things, you can soft-mod the firmware on your DS to load DS ROMs from your GBA flash cart. I did that for a friend back in the day, it's pretty easy, you just need a screwdriver and a little bit of tin foil.

DeGamer

• View Profile
    • My vids & stuff
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2017, 12:31:21 pm »
Most of those official NES titles have modified graphics to look better with the scaling algorithm that *cough cough* just happens to be the same one that PocketNES uses ;)

They look different enough to me where I don't like the look.  :crazy:

Super Mario Bros. 1 is not one of those games, though. It just flickers really badly.

On cart, the game works fine for me. But through an emulator, it flickers as bad as you say it does.   :huh:

You could probably apply ROM hacks to them, but the ROMs themselves seem to be compressed, so it would probably take some work to get them out and put them back in again. Might be easier to just extract the modified graphics, apply them to an NES ROM, and run them in PocketNES with the scaling options.

Well I did a lot or research in the past few days and you're right.  :) They are compressed.  A group of people however, managed to figure them out and crack them to make them work on flash carts and emulators and even reduce their size.  They made a document explaining this. I can't find it as all the links to it are dead.  :( Not sure if I can ask for that here.

If you can borrow a DS flash cart from someone, or one of those old "key" things, you can soft-mod the firmware on your DS to load DS ROMs from your GBA flash cart. I did that for a friend back in the day, it's pretty easy, you just need a screwdriver and a little bit of tin foil.

Interesting. I wasn't aware that you could do that. Unfortunately I don't know anyone who has a DS anymore, let alone a flash cart for it. I would really like to try it. I would buy a flash cart for the DS Lite, but I was planning on selling it.

Asaki

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2017, 03:05:34 am »
A group of people however, managed to figure them out and crack them to make them work on flash carts and emulators and even reduce their size.  They made a document explaining this. I can't find it as all the links to it are dead.  :( Not sure if I can ask for that here.

I ripped some of the graphics out, and some of the fonts, for my own personal hacks, but didn't do much with them.

Would be handy to get those ROMs extracted, because I was trying to hack the Kid Icarus graphics into the USA ROM, but I would have to play through the entire game to rip all the sets...and I can't exactly just put a password into the FDS version =)

...I don't remember if I bothered to look for a level skip code, but I probably just lost interest in general.

TonyBiH

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2017, 06:28:53 am »
I inserted 64 more games (that i own) with Hakchi2 2.0. Edit: It is save to add more and there is newer version of hakchi2.  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 06:12:10 am by TonyBiH »