News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Wanting to translate a few games  (Read 1578 times)

denshousha

• View Profile
Wanting to translate a few games
« on: January 29, 2017, 10:11:26 pm »
Hi, I'm a regular user of your fine website.
I just play old games, and I don't really know anything about hacking them. (Though I am willing to learn!)

There are a couple of games I would like to translate. And there are a lot of ideas I have for game hacks/fixes, but lack the skill to do that.

I don't want to come off as demanding or anything, so is it OK to brainstorm these ideas here and see if I can find any interested collaborators? If so, where is the proper place to do it so I don't annoy everyone?

Thank you for your time.

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: Wanting to translate a few games
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 11:30:30 pm »
For ideas there is
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,3282.0.html but it is something of a dumping ground really.

In many cases translating takes far more effort than fixing things -- I can probably get you to editing stats in a few hours really and for some games then basic level edits (actual edits, not just using a pre baked tool but do use a tool if one exists and can do the job) in a few more. If you can go from basically nothing to a workable text dump for translation purposes in that time you are doing exceptionally well... actually in many cases if I can go from new game to me to workable text dump in that time I am doing well.
Sure a lot of in depth AI changes and real fundamentals of how the game works can take the time and serious skills but don't dismiss stats and level editing.

On collaborators then it might happen, however in most cases you are going to want to bring some skills to the table and "idea guy" and "series expert" ain't skills.

There is a nice getting started link
http://www.romhacking.net/start/
Others usually link some other stuff too but I will leave that to them.

denshousha

• View Profile
Re: Wanting to translate a few games
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 12:59:17 am »
I'm afraid the only skill I have is translation. I also used to mess around with palettes and characters in MUGEN, but I'm assuming it's done very differently with old 8-bit and 16-bit systems.

But that you for the forum link. I will post my ideas there.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 03:48:56 pm by denshousha »