News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Gaming Blather  (Read 6656 times)

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
Gaming Blather
« on: January 24, 2017, 06:03:05 pm »
This is a thread where you talk about games however you want to for a bit, and then hand it off to the next person to talk about games however they want to for a bit, and hey, why not? Just because we can respond does not necessarily follow that we must, but if we want to, we still can, but we don't have to?

Essentially, the General Gaming Blather Thread. Blather about a thing in games that you played today, or talk about the gaming industry or something. Just shoot the breeze.

Me? I'm sitting here with a Nintendo Wii on in my room, and I'm about to go sit there and just play it a while. Dunno what. Phantasy Final Star Quest Warrior.
Yamero~~!

jink640

• From nuggets to dust.
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Blather
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 07:05:03 pm »
Haven't played any of the newer Shadowrun games until about last week. Before that time I used to play the Shadowrun on Genesis way too damn much.

But then I saw it. On the best of 2016 humble bundle, for $3 I could get Shadowrun: Hong Kong.

"Well shit", I said. "That's like, the cost of a tube of toothpaste, I can skip on hygiene for a while."

So yeah, I paid the $3 and gave some of the repeat games away. Holy shit is this game hitting all the right notes, focusing on the runs themselves instead of the main purpose. I might have to pick up the other 2 games in the revival series.

I really miss my toothpaste though...

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 11:45:52 pm »
Playing Maeson's BoF2 rebalance patch---I'd say it hits its mark ~85/90% of the time, with a few very jarring difficulty spikes (especially near the beginning).  I've been playing without power-leveling, but I am fully exploiting my knowledge of how to access the best equips as soon as possible at every part of the game thus far.  Also pretty much ignoring the dragon skills completely--I've only used them once on 1 boss, but that's it.  Some of the character revamps are great, with a few I don't think work well (Bow with attack spells I'm not feeling, but Jean with a more balanced spell list is amazingly useful as more than a mediocre attacker/meatshield, and it looks like Spar will be a much better caster than before too).  Jury's still out on shamans because that's mostly for endgame anyways, but I like the rebalanced enemies for the most part.

And still, despite how much I know about this game and have exploited it, some of these bosses are brutal---I'd really hate to see how a 1st time player would do against some of these guys...

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 02:07:12 am »
I picked up Shantae Half Genie Hero and gave it a playthrough.  Not quite as good as Shantae and the Pirate's Curse -- but still pretty awesome.  Levels in HGH are much more interesting, but there's a lot of backtracking for items you missed once you get new abilities.  Some of that was in Pirate's Curse, too, but not as much.

But good lord the music in these games in phenomenal.  I've linked to some Pirate's Curse music before... but HGH has some great songs too.

https://youtu.be/bcoeC6W_6Gk
https://youtu.be/Lhjh-rD8Bwc
https://youtu.be/D5dmxW1edYc
https://youtu.be/ovMtEj2u8ck

In a world where AAA titles seem to have forgotten the importance of good VG music --- Jake Kaufman shows the art isn't dead.

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2017, 04:00:58 am »
I have a Buffalo Famicom Replica Controller for my PC. It's autofire function is somehow perfectly timed to allow free-repeating Hyper Knee attacks in Double Dragon II for the NES.

:D "Schwing! BOOM""Schwing! BOOM""Schwing! BOOM""Schwing! BOOM"
Yamero~~!

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2017, 10:00:14 am »
In a world where AAA titles seem to have forgotten the importance of good VG music --- Jake Kaufman shows the art isn't dead.
Rescue Girl is, I daresay, far better than Mighty Switch Force 2 deserves.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaLpzyw4q3w
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2017, 12:10:53 pm »
Rescue Girl is, I daresay, far better than Mighty Switch Force 2 deserves.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaLpzyw4q3w

Yes I've heard this one too.  Another gem.   :laugh:

SleepyFist

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2017, 12:15:55 pm »
The first Mighty Switch Force had a great soundtrack too, It just sucks that you can't really listen to it well unless you sit still and willingly forfeit a run.
Anyway bought the first after listening to
 Love You Love You Love https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eRyR27l7vks
Now I gotta go get MSF2.

In other rambles..
I'm playing SMT IV, Severed, and I'm sketching concept art for an ice themed Doom mod, I got distracted from Space Station Silicon Valley, and finally replaced my copy of Kingdom Hearts 3D that didn't come back after being loaned.

Also learned about decaying consoles from Guru Larry
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=41rivol-cxQ

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2017, 02:32:58 pm »
I've been messing around with Starview Valley the last couple days, and so far I'm really digging the mix of old-school Havest Moon + a crafting system ala Minecraft. I kept forgetting to pause the game whenever I'd leave the room to things around the house, so I keep restarting my file trying out the different farm types.

Right now it's the monsters-at-night type, running around as a character that vaguely resembles Mr.T from mashing the randomize button. So I named my ranch Piddy Deh Farm, and my character's favorite thing is "pityin' fools".

All in all it's a badass game from what I've played so far, which I haven't said about a farming game since the good ol' days of Harvest Moon on the Game Boy/ Game Boy Color.  :thumbsup:
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

flame

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2017, 03:08:15 pm »
Almost through with my play of Rogue Galaxy (PS2, 2006). Should be finishing tonight if all goes well. I'm high enough level to clear the game according to the FAQ.

So much gaming-related work to do, and not even romhacking.
-Need to list on eBay my old games I won't play anymore, probably including Rogue Galaxy.
Not that it was bad, but I'll never play it again, or at least not for awhile. I'll re-buy if I ever do want to. The backwards compatibility of PS3 was an excuse to keep old games way longer than I should have. I'll probably keep the PS3 and one or two games only. Anything that I want to get rid of and doesn't sell will go to charity.
-Activate my Vita using the PS3.
-Install SSD into the PS4 I got.
-Hook up PS4 to TV.
-Download PS4 system software and install it (this is necessary when replacing the PS4's hard disk)
-Download PS4 game demos that look interesting

Setting up the PS4 means I won't use the PS3 much anymore, I think.

I have a lot of Game Boy Advance games whose boxes are in bad condition. Should I try to sell these as cart only? Should I sell them as a lot?

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2017, 05:23:20 pm »
I have a Buffalo Famicom Replica Controller for my PC. It's autofire function is somehow perfectly timed to allow free-repeating Hyper Knee attacks in Double Dragon II for the NES.

:D "Schwing! BOOM""Schwing! BOOM""Schwing! BOOM""Schwing! BOOM"

...My Wii Classic Controller's autofire function in the NES emu I'm using is identical to it...BONUS
Yamero~~!

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2017, 12:18:34 am »
I have a lot of Game Boy Advance games whose boxes are in bad condition. Should I try to sell these as cart only? Should I sell them as a lot?
I'd be inclined to think a box in bad condition is better than no box at all.  Just make sure you emphasize it repeatedly in your auction, e.g. "BAD BOX! Final Fantasy Whatever GBA", "You are bidding on a game with A BOX IN BAD CONDITION", "I will not ship until I receive acknowledgement from you that you are aware THIS DOES NOT COME WITH A NICE BOX", etc.

I've accumulated a whole bunch of empty PS3 and XBox 360 boxes that I will probably sell as a lot because trying to deal with that mess a dozen times over is probably going to lead to anguish sooner rather than later.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2017, 04:16:01 pm »
I just realized you can get a sword in Starview Valley and go around killing shit like in an old school Zelda title.

Harvest Moon is dead to me now.  :beer:
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

Sliver X

• der Wille zur Macht
    • View Profile
    • Panicus - A Fragment of Memory
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2017, 07:01:33 pm »
I ended up building a custom ITX gaming/media PC with much faster hardware than its predecessor unit and my interface "ported" over to Windows, with 52 PC games installed currently. It also emulates 31 systems. Over the past month I've been playing:

Game Gear
Royal Stone
Sylvan Tale
Power Strike II

Arcade
Dungeons & Dragons  - Shadow Over Mystara
Tecmo Knight
Trojan
Tekken Tag Tournament
Samurai Shodown V
Progear

NES
Grand Master

Saturn
Radiant Silvergun
Castlevania - Noctourne in the Moonlight

MSX
Metal Gear 2
Space Manbow
Vampire Killer To Castlevania (A really neat hack)

PSX
Gradius Gaiden
Final Fantasy Tactics
Hell Night
Einhander

PS2
Shadow of the Colossus
Wipeout Fusion

Genesis
Shinobi III
Phantasy Star II

PSP
Parasite Eve - The 3rd Birthday
Ultimate Ghouls 'N Ghosts

SNES
Super Mario Kart (SNES)
Actraiser

DOS/Windows
American McGee's Alice / Madness Returns
Blood - Deathwish
Cursed Castilla
Terminal Velocity
Crimzon Clover
Silent Hill 3
DMC - Devil May Cry
Skyrim
Ys VI
Dark Souls
Castlevania Lords of Shadow/Mirror of Fate/2
Guilty Gear Xrd - Revelator
Strider (2014)
Shadowgate (Remake)
Trine
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 10:18:51 pm by Sliver X »

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2017, 12:17:13 am »
How can you possibly play that many games in a month..?

Sliver X

• der Wille zur Macht
    • View Profile
    • Panicus - A Fragment of Memory
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2017, 12:23:26 am »
Oh, I've played a lot more than that. Those are just the ones I've beaten or have put at least an hour into.

flame

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2017, 08:13:02 am »
Bahamut ZERO you have not played Rune Factory series.
They're kind of all the same, but I enjoyed most the Wii version Rune Factory Frontier. I hear Stardew Valley is better than Rune Factory so I don't think you're missing much.

So I finished Rogue Galaxy. And it only now struck me as odd the following:
There can be multiple copies of the same item in chests, but never several different kinds of items. To account for this case, the developers lined up several chests next to each other. It's really weird, like a law of game physics or something, that once a chest has one item, un-alike items cannot fit inside anymore, but the same kind of item can. It's not just Rogue Galaxy, Final Fantasy series and indeed most RPG games are this way, and it only now struck me as odd.

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2017, 08:31:31 am »
Bahamut ZERO you have not played Rune Factory series.

Haven't played Stardew Valley, but RF is pretty terrible. Yeah it's RPG combat in a harvest moon game, but it's dreadfully bad RPG combat. Boring enemies, clunky controls, it's just not as good as one might assume. From what I heard I'm guessing SV did it much better.
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2017, 12:03:52 pm »
Homebrew'd up my Wii.

Mame on the Wii is causing the system to crash and require restarting manually using the power button on the Wii itself. Something untrustworthy about that. Also, the sound is chopping up, possibly because I'm mapping the Pause function to the controller. I don't think the Pause function and the Wii's software get along very well, or it might be that the sound core for Mame Wii is just shit.

Other than that, my emus work. Trying to get CD images to fit on a 2GB SD card is a pain in the ass, though, and getting them in the format that they will work in on the Wii is even more of a pain in the ass. I wish I could play Lunar on a CRT again.
Yamero~~!

Queen Zeal

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2017, 08:18:04 pm »
I'm currently playing Final Fantasy 3 for the nes. I just finished Link's Awakening DX. Not sure what I'll play next. I thought that Rune Factory was ok. I want to play Stardew Valley as soon as I have the funds.