News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Video Games and Depression?  (Read 11108 times)

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
Video Games and Depression?
« on: January 24, 2017, 07:23:55 am »
***DISCLAIMER***
I am not sanguine of discussing my private therapeutic practices, as I'm sure most people would not be. I have posted this thread to try to learn new techniques for dealing with protracted negative emotional states, however...so I'm sort of walking a fine line here. I'm not asking for sensitivity (I know better), but I would like to generally have a clinical air to the discussion, if it's not too much trouble.
***END DISCLAMITUDE***

I've often thought that certain types of games can be very therapeutic when one is dealing with deeply negative emotions in their life, but lately, I have not really had the tendency to click games on. It is hard to say, and I'm sure hard to read, but they simply remind me that I spent a very long time in my life sort of wrapped up in these imaginary adventures, when I could have been spending it with people. Particularly a certain person, whom I am no longer able to reliably contact, you might say. I'm trying not to be too forward about it.

Anyway, have you ever experienced a dilemma like that in gaming? You used the games before to deal with feelings of inadequacy that you had in your real life, in a harmless and controlled manner. But then, the games themselves began to make you feel inadequate, is basically the math here.

It's what, in the vernacular, we call a "sticky wicket." Any thoughts, guys?

EDIT:

Spoiler:
If you must have it laid out for you, starting a New Game of Chrono Trigger is very very difficult for me now that I've lost my mother.
Yamero~~!

Bregalad

• View Profile
Re: Video Games and Depression?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 08:25:05 am »
Any thoughts, guys?
No. We're not here to deal with your personal problems.

However what I can say is that games can help temporarly escaping problems by pushing your mind in another, virtual, world, they definitely won't help solving problems in the long term.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 10:35:31 am »
However what I can say is that games can help temporarly escaping problems by pushing your mind in another, virtual, world, they definitely won't help solving problems in the long term.
I propose that sometimes they can provide you with a sufficient sense of accomplishment to provide the necessary drive to overcome other obstacles in one's life – if you can finish that one obnoxious level, then maybe you can do that other thing that's been bothering you.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 11:52:04 am »
I propose that sometimes they can provide you with a sufficient sense of accomplishment to provide the necessary drive to overcome other obstacles in one's life – if you can finish that one obnoxious level, then maybe you can do that other thing that's been bothering you.
Yeah, I agree - but what if it is the opposite - you cannot progress in the game ? Then will be things even worsened ? Or on the other hand you'll think "after all real life isn't that bad" ?

lexluthermiester

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 12:12:40 pm »
I've often thought that certain types of games can be very therapeutic when one is dealing with deeply negative emotions in their life, but lately, I have not really had the tendency to click games on. It is hard to say, and I'm sure hard to read, but they simply remind me that I spent a very long time in my life sort of wrapped up in these imaginary adventures, when I could have been spending it with people. Particularly a certain person, whom I am no longer able to reliably contact, you might say. I'm trying not to be too forward about it.

Try not to dwell on the things you didn't do. Instead, focus on remembering the things you did. The quality time you had and the fun you experienced.

Anyway, have you ever experienced a dilemma like that in gaming? You used the games before to deal with feelings of inadequacy that you had in your real life, in a harmless and controlled manner. But then, the games themselves began to make you feel inadequate, is basically the math here.

Street Fighter Alpha 3 anyone? That game will make anyone feel inadequate and kicked my butt on every damned level. Effectively felt like a punching bag, even when playing against the computer. Walked away from Street Fighter after that. Had better things to do with my time, and better games to spend my gaming time with. Then I met my wife! ;-D Funny thing? I got so good at Alpha 2 that I could beat all but a handful of people with Dan. Freaking DAN! And then Alpha 3 comes along and forget it..

In my teenage years the NES, TG16 and SNES were my happy place when I was feeling sad and depressed. It was a way to get away from the stresses and problems of the world and escape into a completely new world that had problems that were designed to be solved and when you did? Hell ya! Brainlord for instance. Out of all the friends that played it, only two of us beat it without any help. I was one of those two. It was challenging, but only after passing it around through so many friends and family and all but one of them failing to get to the end did it become clear just how hard it really was.

Dude, that was a bit harsh, don't you think? I mean let's face it, in this day&age, it is becoming very common for people to have friends online that they have never met. Spooniest is reaching out to some of his friends here. Have a heart.

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 02:52:35 pm »

Glad you decided to pop in just to be a D-bag.

I've certainly experience what OP mentioned feeling like: at some point, you've wasted so many hours of your life, although my moment involved a lot more than just gaming.  I probably had it ~5/6 years ago when I wondered what I was doing with my life, since I had a decent job and living situation, taught martial arts, and played a lot of games and read a lot of books in my free time.  I realized only 1 of those things really inherently made me feel like I was doing something meaningful (teaching), and decided to go back to school.  Hopefully going to finish my Masters degree this semester and get a job in a field I enjoy quite a bit more than my last one.

I still play games and read in what little free time I have now, but having a sense of purpose is definitely something that will help.  I know the moving/changing careers move isn't everyone's cup of tea (if I hadn't saved so much money at my previous job, I wouldn't have been able to afford it myself), but it's something to consider.  You could also just try fining a club or group on a subject you enjoy and try being part of that too--as long as you do more than just play games and interact with more than just a screen, it's been my experience that helps a lot.

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2017, 04:15:56 pm »
The past couple years I've been feeling that way too, I'm finding myself spending more time with people than playing video games now. Kind of lost my spark for gaming as it does not excite me as much anymore, I've experienced what gaming has to offer over the years. Not to say I'll put down gaming, I'm just going to slow down on it, and pick the speed up again where I'm at a better state to enjoy fully again.

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 05:38:20 pm »
Hm.

It suddenly occurred to me, reading back over the thread, that my Mom once told me that when her Dad (my Grandpa) got arthritis starting in his early 50s, his solution was to work out harder.

"Work out through the pain," was his philosophy. Let it make you stronger, essentially.

Being able to handle pain is a valuable job skill right? Well, anyway. That's where I got to with it, thanks to y'all.
Yamero~~!

BlackDog61

• View Profile
    • Super Robot Wars A Portable translation thread
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2017, 07:19:31 pm »
Just a personal note.
I think the fact you don't feel as thrilled to start a new game of X or Y is a sign you've progressed in the way you reflect upon what you like or dislike. That per se is positive (even if the feeling itself doesn't make you happy at that time).
Using games as a means of venting negative feeling can work for some. To each his / her recipe. So long as what you do in the real world is positive / faces the problem, I don't see why video games would be negative per se. They can be a big time consumer, and that's one thing I'mstill trying to find a balance for, personally.

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2017, 01:59:15 am »
It suddenly occurred to me, reading back over the thread, that my Mom once told me that when her Dad (my Grandpa) got arthritis starting in his early 50s, his solution was to work out harder.

"Work out through the pain," was his philosophy. Let it make you stronger, essentially.
That was the philosophy at this time period. Today people are much more focused on well being and stuff like that.

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2017, 02:07:59 am »
That was the philosophy at this time period. Today people are much more focused on well being and stuff like that.

Which lead to the current generation needing trigger warnings for public restrooms possibly being entered be other people too and everyone living in their own little filter bubbles on the net so they don't get confronted by people not agreeing with them. The same Generation that got brexit and Trump voted into happening and is now whining on the net about it like little babies.

FUCK millenials.

*cough* sorry for the thread derailment, Spoons, do whatever makes you feel better, if it's Games then Play ssome  games, if they don't then do. something else for a while. Games are Entertainment not a chore.
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2017, 03:38:55 am »
Which lead to the current generation needing trigger warnings for public restrooms possibly being entered be other people too and everyone living in their own little filter bubbles on the net so they don't get confronted by people not agreeing with them. The same Generation that got brexit and Trump voted into happening and is now whining on the net about it like little babies.

FUCK millenials.

*cough* sorry for the thread derailment, Spoons, do whatever makes you feel better, if it's Games then Play ssome  games, if they don't then do. something else for a while. Games are Entertainment not a chore.

While I believe the millenials are not entirely to blame for their condition, the condition is still called Pants Shitting Stupidity (TM). You aren't wrong, but you are blaming them for it; stupids are rarely the culprit of their own stupidity. :)

Anyhow. Thanks Kaio. Y'know I've got some German in my family as well, but to be honest, my family is such a bunch of mutts that we've got a practical haggis of a DNA profile.
Yamero~~!

jink640

• From nuggets to dust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2017, 03:40:04 am »
...Yep. The same generation that is still crying over the death of a gorilla which happened over half a year ago.

Spoiler:
Then they killed his Grandmother, how far does this rabbit hole go?

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2017, 05:18:33 am »
The same Generation that got brexit [...] voted into happening and is now whining on the net about it like little babies.

FUCK millenials.

1. Those who voted and those who whine are probably NOT the same people
2. The EU trying to be a country with single market, single money etc... as it is today only exist since the late 90s - early 2000, so brexit is more a return to the good old days you seem to appreciate so much rather than something "new".

By the way I fully agree with you that this milenium has been terrible so far.

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2017, 06:20:36 am »

Then why are you so good at it? I'm not being sarcastic, you guys are not half bad to talk to.

:D
Yamero~~!

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2017, 10:03:18 am »
I found this recently and it seemed apropos:
http://www.collegehumor.com/post/7042764/this-one-cool-trick-will-cure-your-anxiety?edition=global

Now I need to find that one SMBC comic.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2017, 11:53:42 am »

FUCK millenials.

As an Old Millennial, I very much take issue with this, especially blaming us for Brexit and Trump-----the people who voted for those things (and in fact brought them to the fore in the first place) were by far mostly Baby-Boomers and older.  We sure as hell didn't vote for this nonsense, and yes, I'm pretty resentful that anyone would even pretend to blame us for it.  Even flawed exit poll data will tell you we did not want this.

If you want to blame someone for those things, blame the older people who wistfully "remember" when things were "better," despite probably not being old enough to remember what was actually happening then.  Baby-Boomers should really recognize what a mess they've been leaving the world with for the last 2 decades instead of passing the buck.

Sorry, but it really needed to be said /endrant (I promise)

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2017, 12:04:52 pm »
...Yep. The same generation that is still crying over the death of a gorilla which happened over half a year ago.

Spoiler:
Then they killed his Grandmother, how far does this rabbit hole go?

Dicks out for Harambe

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2017, 12:57:29 pm »
Old Millennial

A what?

Uh...am I part of Generation X or something?

I don't remember what arbitrary label society placed on me.
Yamero~~!

jink640

• From nuggets to dust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2017, 01:19:38 pm »
I believe that the majority of millennials were for Sanders. Which the older crowd screwed over. So no, I don't think millennials are to blame. maybe the generations before, but not the current one.