News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Chrono trigger plus  (Read 316749 times)

Grillkick

• View Profile
Re: Chrono trigger plus
« Reply #1120 on: March 30, 2020, 08:19:41 am »
I rarely post but I follow this thread constantly. Thanks for all your your work on this project :)

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: April 01, 2020, 12:17:38 am »
Actually fan input is what keeps me going, though I did get a little burnt out trying to keep up with the Vinesauce stream.
I've gotta chime in and say you've done some seriously cool and fun stuff! Very well done indeed! I think I can speak for most of us when I say Thank You!

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: April 01, 2020, 01:06:29 pm »
I rarely post but I follow this thread constantly. Thanks for all your your work on this project :)

I've gotta chime in and say you've done some seriously cool and fun stuff! Very well done indeed! I think I can speak for most of us when I say Thank You!

Thanks guys, I'm slowing down on this for the moment but I'll keep you posted on updates

StarWyvwern

• Family first, then gaming and music.
    • View Profile
    • Souncloud
« Reply #1123 on: April 02, 2020, 11:35:44 am »
 :'( Don't stop! This is awesome! It's like the DLC for Chrono Trigger we all wanted but never had!  :o  I mean why wasn't this done a looooooong time ago?  ;D Can't wait to play it. Things like this, honestly, keep retro gaming alive. And imo, it's the best type of gaming. So nostalgic, keeps me feeling like a kid!  :laugh:
Insert "Witty Text" here.

Shade Aurion

• Submission Reviewer
  • Shadow Keeper
    • View Profile
    • DudeGoBack
« Reply #1124 on: April 02, 2020, 01:21:43 pm »
Actually fan input is what keeps me going, though I did get a little burnt out trying to keep up with the Vinesauce stream.
I also post little and frequent the thread. Every time I see a new post is made I read it. Take all the time you need man and avoid burn out but know that you're doing amazing things. I just don't feel I have much to add and you have your hands full with testers but i'm in the background cheering you on. If there was a 'like' system on this forum, i'd 'like' every damn post XD

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #1125 on: April 02, 2020, 08:51:17 pm »
Well thanks guys.

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: April 03, 2020, 04:40:48 am »
I gotta admit, I'm abit of stickler with staying with the original canon game.

However

With the things you have been doing with Chrono Trigger that I find myself tempted to put away the original game and give your version a try one day; I like what I'm seeing and what you're adding. If the FMVs in MSU-1 format and MSU-1 music get put on top of this project I would think this would become in my opinion the definitive version of the game (though this project is already great currently)! :)

Chrono series to me is in a interesting spot; it is a unfinished saga and it really feels like its up to fans to fill in the blanks or even add-on things that were not originally there.

It kind of reminds me of the days of CE when that project was a thing and that team was full of passion, but lets hope this project doesn't meet a bad end like many other Chrono Projects I've seen come and gone in other formats like RPG Maker (there were two promising ones that never got finished), I'm rooting for you.

Take your time with the project, I always did want to explore 1999.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 04:51:40 am by Kallisto »

Pleiades7

• View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: April 03, 2020, 04:45:28 am »
If the FMVs in MSU-1 format and MSU-1 music get put on top of this project I would think this would become in my opinion the definitive version of the game.

You are in luck! You want FMVs in MSU1 style and MSU1? Done
https://www.zeldix.net/t808-chrono-trigger

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: April 03, 2020, 04:46:27 am »
You are in luck! You want FMVs in MSU1 style and MSU1? Done
https://www.zeldix.net/t808-chrono-trigger

I've seen it, but I wasn't sure if it was going to be compatible with his romhack.

Pleiades7

• View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: April 03, 2020, 06:54:13 am »
I've seen it, but I wasn't sure if it was going to be compatible with his romhack.

Yeah, it works. Tested it my self! Just a lot of work to put it together. I use retroarch and reshademe post-process, so by the time I'm done I feel like I have a definitive version of this!

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: April 03, 2020, 08:00:36 am »
Yeah, it works. Tested it my self! Just a lot of work to put it together. I use retroarch and reshademe post-process, so by the time I'm done I feel like I have a definitive version of this!

This project always has working msu-1 music, are you telling me the videos work with it too?

I followed your link and saw the video with them working but no mention of how in the topic.

Pleiades7

• View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: April 03, 2020, 11:51:04 am »
This project always has working msu-1 music, are you telling me the videos work with it too?

I followed your link and saw the video with them working but no mention of how in the topic.

Yeah, videos work. It's tricky. Everything has to be in the right folder, has to be lined up perfectly, named exactly the same way. Plus, depends on your emulator. My results worked with retroarch, for what it is worth.

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: April 03, 2020, 12:33:50 pm »
Yeah, videos work. It's tricky. Everything has to be in the right folder, has to be lined up perfectly, named exactly the same way. Plus, depends on your emulator. My results worked with retroarch, for what it is worth.

Would you be willing to help me get set up withem? I already have the MSU music set up.

LoneWolfZ24

• View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: April 10, 2020, 07:27:56 pm »
Started to play this on the classic with your rom hack, and was loving it.  Got to Zeal, and when trying to enter the hallway to the mammon machine room, the game screen goes black, and the game locks up (music still plays, but L/R/S/S doesn't reset)  Using SNES9X on SNES Classic.  Odd for the game to lock up this late.  If you have any ideas, id love the help. 

Addendum, Just tried something silly, and got past the issue so I could keep playing.  Found the original CT rom on the system, moved it over to the CT plus location, and replaced the rom with the original.  did the mammon machine event, got the pendant, then saved again, and swapped the files back to keep going.  game still working well with Plus, but hallway before mammon machine is probably still bugged, with advise when i get back there. 
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 07:50:54 pm by LoneWolfZ24 »

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: April 11, 2020, 12:15:54 pm »
That's odd, it's either a one time hiccup or your emulator reacted to the music transition there, or maybe both.

Josephine Lithius

• THE WORLD IS MINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: April 12, 2020, 12:04:04 am »
I did a little research.  Apparently, there are several different Snes9x "cores" available for RetroArch, which is the only way to get it on a Super NES Classic Edition system.  Various cores are based on various versions:

Snes9x 2002 = Snes9x 1.39
Snes9x 2005 = Snes9x 1.43 (fast and compatible, but not necessarily accurate)
Snes9x 2010 = Snes9x 1.52 (new sound core)
Snes9x 2016 = Snes9x 1.54 (compatibility improvements, greater system requirements)

There's a number of reasons to use Snes9x instead of Canoe, the built-in emulator, but the one that applies to this particular hack is the file size limit.  Canoe only supports files of 4 MB (32 megabit) or lower while Chrono Trigger+ is 6 MB (48 megabit).  Yep.  That's all.

In any case, if you hadn't already found a work-around, I would suggest trying a different core and seeing what happens.  But as it stands, I tried the game in the Windows ports of v1.52 and v1.43, as well as ZSNES v1.52 (Apr 2008), but I experienced no problems whatsoever.  I'm going to guess it actually is an issue with one (or more) of the Libretro Snes9x cores.  Why this is happening, though, is beyond me as the only modifications to made to the Hall of the Mammon Machine was, indeed, the music triggers.

I add it to my list, in any event.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 02:52:20 am by Josephine Lithius »

LoneWolfZ24

• View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: April 12, 2020, 12:11:32 pm »
Huge thanks for getting back so quickly.

I can save you the hassle of looking into it though.  As I have been playing with it to see whats causing the issue as well.  The rom I used had a previous hack applied for more useful Frog items.  When swapping the rom to one with ONLY Plus added, it works fine, so the frog hack does not work with plus, and causes this odd lock up.  Also, being able to swap roms in the mini while using the same save states is useful, even fixing some of the issues ppl have mentioned for Plus in other locations.  I know ppl were upset about not being able to max out the HP (im assuming in NES mode).  If you rom hack the game without nes mode, get to lvl 99, then add the nes hack, the save file may provide the max HP amount. 

As a side note, as you advised why anyone would use the canoe emulator over SNES9X, thats easy.  Interpolation.  Ive done everything I can on every game on my mini to use the canoe emu for that reason only.  If Not, then the game needs to run in 692 (3x) Height, but 896 width to prevent any odd pixel scaling.  This is the best that can be done without interpolation.  not perfect at all, but it prevents the shimmer.  It does cause every other pixel to be one pixel wider 3x3, then 3x4, 3x3, 3x4 exc. 

Anyway, thanks again for all the help ... now I just need to figure out how to get into 1999, as they all just start the fight with Lavos. 
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 07:46:22 pm by LoneWolfZ24 »

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: April 12, 2020, 11:01:53 pm »
Glad to hear it's not my bug. To get to 1999 go to the coliseum in 2300 ad.

And you can max out HP, you just gotta have the operation done in 1999.

LoneWolfZ24

• View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: April 12, 2020, 11:30:35 pm »
yeah, found 1999 today, and operation? .... (ill find out later).  Love that you guys put so much effort into this.  Very well done. 

I did run into a black screen when changing characters in the over world in 1999 after the music stopped (it doesn't loop in the over world) didn't loose much, I tend to save often.  Just hit "Y" and black screen.  (and YES, the rom is now ONLY yours, only NES and menu music options)

PS.  My wife and I both got a huge kick out of the guy that said they were going to build the wall.   

« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 08:29:50 am by LoneWolfZ24 »

Josephine Lithius

• THE WORLD IS MINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: April 13, 2020, 04:50:58 am »
Why can't everyone who report bugs be as super-helpful and super-cheerful as you, LoneWolf?  ;v;

As for getting to 1999?  You have the Aero-Dalton Imperial Winged Epoch, right?
Try scouting around the world, a bit.  You may find something you missed!  Or… something you ignored?  ;)