News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Chrono trigger plus  (Read 316191 times)

Irudir

• View Profile
Re: Chrono trigger plus
« Reply #1100 on: February 26, 2020, 08:01:58 pm »
I've been loving this hack so far, but i'm really in need of some help with finding the triple techs Omega Flare and Dark Eternal. They're the only two i couldn't find anywhere, not even amid the custom content in 1999 or elsewhere.

I know so far that poyozo dance has a custom location in Zeal, where you can get it from Spekkio and that Spin Strike and Grand Dream can be obtained in their vanilla locations.

If anyone could help me out in finding the last two i would be really grateful.

I've searched through this topic and couldn't find any info about them. Also, if they're supposed to be in the vanilla location (poyozo doll in Kajar for Dark Eternal and chest in Giant's Claw for Omega Flare), then there could be a bug with these locations and respective techs.

I'm using version 2.3.4 just for clarity's sake

Irudir

• View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: February 26, 2020, 08:08:52 pm »
I found a glitch pertaining to the battle with Heckran, which allows you to skip it entirely. I'm not sure if it only happens in New Game+ or only with the boots of speed.
Apparently you can avoid the trigger for the battle, walk up to Heckran and talk to him. This prompts him to say his final message that happens after the battle and die immediatly, without awarding xp or anything.
Pretty weird, but can be avoided by walking back and trying to hit the trigger for the battle, so no big deal.

andrewclunn

• View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: February 27, 2020, 10:43:59 am »
I've been loving this hack so far, but i'm really in need of some help with finding the triple techs Omega Flare and Dark Eternal. They're the only two i couldn't find anywhere, not even amid the custom content in 1999 or elsewhere.

I know so far that poyozo dance has a custom location in Zeal, where you can get it from Spekkio and that Spin Strike and Grand Dream can be obtained in their vanilla locations.

If anyone could help me out in finding the last two i would be really grateful.

I've searched through this topic and couldn't find any info about them. Also, if they're supposed to be in the vanilla location (poyozo doll in Kajar for Dark Eternal and chest in Giant's Claw for Omega Flare), then there could be a bug with these locations and respective techs.

I'm using version 2.3.4 just for clarity's sake

Beat Ozzie with Magus in your party.

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: February 27, 2020, 11:37:00 am »
I found a glitch pertaining to the battle with Heckran, which allows you to skip it entirely. I'm not sure if it only happens in New Game+ or only with the boots of speed.
Apparently you can avoid the trigger for the battle, walk up to Heckran and talk to him. This prompts him to say his final message that happens after the battle and die immediatly, without awarding xp or anything.
Pretty weird, but can be avoided by walking back and trying to hit the trigger for the battle, so no big deal.

The Hekran thing is because the Speed Shoes can indeed outrun the event, very hard to fix and fairly harmless given that it's only on ng+

Andrew is right about acquiring the triple techs, though I would recommend getting the newest version of the hack.

Mauron

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: February 27, 2020, 12:54:54 pm »
Heckran should be fixable if you change the (if Mem.7F0214 == 1F) in Object 00's Startup/Idle to (if Mem.7F214 <= 1F) and move the Heckran's Touch code to Arbitrary 0, changing the post battle code to call that instead.  Touch should have just a Return instead.
Mauron wuz here.

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: February 29, 2020, 11:05:53 am »
Heckran should be fixable if you change the (if Mem.7F0214 == 1F) in Object 00's Startup/Idle to (if Mem.7F214 <= 1F) and move the Heckran's Touch code to Arbitrary 0, changing the post battle code to call that instead.  Touch should have just a Return instead.

Good idea, that should work anywhere the player outruns the event actually.

Illuminasty

• View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: March 03, 2020, 04:47:43 pm »
On 2.3.8, something I did caused me to lose Crono again after getting him back on Death Peak and I'm not sure what that is because I didn't notice immediately. Things I did that may have involved party composition after I got Crono back were Robo's Atropos sidequest, the desert sidequest, getting the drone in 1999 and I remember my party being switched around when I got a reward from one of the arcade games in 1999 as well.

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: March 04, 2020, 10:42:09 am »
Damn that's not good, I'll try to keep an eye out for that one.

BIGGER

• View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: March 28, 2020, 02:19:41 pm »
I tried to apply only the auto-run patch to a clean ROM and it did not work. Is it supposed to work only with the main patch?

Josephine Lithius

• THE WORLD IS MINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: March 28, 2020, 03:14:07 pm »
Alright.  So.  Last month, I watched Vinny from Vinesauce play through this from-start-to-finish.  There were a few things I noticed that weren't quite right, but I didn't feel like doing further research.  This month, however, I finally decided to play this ROM hack for myself and make note of as many of the quirks, oddities, bugs, inconsistencies, and general things that I didn't think were "right."  In doing so, I composed quite a massive list of things.

Now, here's the thing.  Even with spoiler tags compressing everything… this list is almost 60,000 characters long.  That's four forum posts-worth of text.  A vast majority of it is trivial bugs and glitches, as well as oversights stemming from some of the changes made.  In fact, there's only three potential soft-locks that I've found during the course of a fresh-from-start playthrough:

Spoiler:
  • [Fixed in v2.4.0] After the Reptite Lair, telling Ayla that you do want her to come with you erases her object from the Chief's Hut until the second visit to 65000000 BC
    (This means she doesn't appear at all and that putting her as Party Member #1 semi-soft-locks the game.)

• [Fixed in v2.4.0] *Soft-Lock* If Ayla is Party Member #1 before initiating the Siege of Zenan Bridge and the party tries to cross the bridge, the party gets stuck on the "pull back" trigger point
  • It's impossible to run from either super-enemy in Lab 64 which can potentially lead to a soft-lock with the Merman
    (If the party's wearing Blue Plate/Vest armor but can't out-damage it, neither party can defeat the other.)

In any case, if you're interested in the entire list, I can share it in a series of posts or put the text document somewhere.  I put a lot of effort into compiling the list and I need to know that it would be of some use before I commit to sharing it.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 09:32:19 am by Josephine Lithius »

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #1110 on: March 28, 2020, 06:26:16 pm »
Is this as of version 2.4? It was uploaded maybe two days ago.

Josephine Lithius

• THE WORLD IS MINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: March 28, 2020, 08:55:10 pm »
… no.  I was not aware that– you know what?  I'm going to post this early because I feel it's important:

This hack has been updated at least twenty times, over the years.  Various things have been fixed, various changes have been made, this, that, et cetera.  Despite all of that, however… not once has there ever been a Change Log added to the Readme or given as its own file.  There are some extremely vague notes to be found on the "Submissions for Hack" page which simply say things like "bug fix" and "new versions," but a project like this needs to have a detailed Change Log available, if only so people know what's been fixed and what hasn't.  I always detail even the most insignificant of changes in my Change Logs, and there's genuinely no reason not to keep track of things – especially if you're the type to keep redundant backups and revisions (like I am), so I mean… at least consider making a proper Change Log?

That said, I am not invested enough to play through the whole thing, again, to see what was fixed and what wasn't…

andrewclunn

• View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: March 28, 2020, 10:47:37 pm »
The nature of a personal project is often that you move fast and break things.  Yeah, it sometimes leads to it being unclear what fixes and changes exist, but I mean Ben has also made dramatic changes (like to the end of time) based on player feedback.  So yeah, it's sort of being treated like an extended open beta, and new features reintroduce old bugs or new ones as things go, but I can see how it might be easier to contribute with a trello board or some kind of project management tool, that would allow testers to submit bugs and to not lose track of them.  Of course it's all up to Ben regarding whether he thinks such a thing would be helpful.

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: March 28, 2020, 11:51:05 pm »
I asked because I was pretty sure the Ayla bug had already been fixed. Either way I'd be interested in seeing your list.

@Andrew version 2.4 still has the keeper dome bug on ng+ but since I found a game breaker on a fresh game I had to re release.

I was actually unaware that the submissions notes were logged, would make sense then to keep the bug fixes there.

Josephine Lithius

• THE WORLD IS MINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: March 29, 2020, 09:36:34 am »
I checked for those two specific bugs in v2.4.0.  As stated, they've been fixed.  Cheers, mate.

Either way I'd be interested in seeing your list.
You asked for it, buddy~!  ;)

Edit: … or not.  It's tries to auto-merge my subsequent posts, but can't because they're too big.  Good forum design.  :(

Edit 2: I reformated the thing into HTML and posted it here.  The plus side (ha hah) is that this gives maximum readability and, if need be, can be shared for editing with others.

Edit 3: Keep an eye on this document – there's some updates pending.  Possibly, not from me;)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 04:16:21 pm by Josephine Lithius »

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: March 29, 2020, 10:03:10 am »
Yeah, I've had that happen before... multiple times actually. It is the most annoying aspect of these forums, and I do not understand its purpose in the modern day.

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: March 29, 2020, 11:42:09 am »
That is a great list, some of them Andrewclunn found and were fixed in 2.4, and some I still need to learn how to do (like the scrolling for new maps) but about 85% of them are doable right now.

Josephine Lithius

• THE WORLD IS MINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: March 29, 2020, 03:54:14 pm »
Gotta be honest…  I was a little afraid you were gonna freak.  I remember when this project was just starting about four years ago and everyone was just chucking ideas at you left-and-right (including me), you kinda shut down for a bit.  Heck, if it wasn't for Vin, I wouldn't have even known this was still goin' strong.  But, I'm glad you appreciate the overwhelming amount of stuff, even if it is mostly nitpicky.  :)

I figured a few of them were repeats, too, but this is my first real exposure to it outside of the streams, ha hah~
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 04:15:59 pm by Josephine Lithius »

BobAwesome

• View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: March 29, 2020, 11:47:10 pm »
Nice list JL. I managed to defeat the Merman without Bronze Fist or Apocalypse, but I was spamming Hypno on him though.

Does anyone else experience a softlock when attempting to change the party on the overworld during 1999AD after the music stops? I can change members while the music is playing but as soon as it ends, the screen goes black and freezes when entering the swap screen.

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: March 30, 2020, 08:13:03 am »
Actually fan input is what keeps me going, though I did get a little burnt out trying to keep up with the Vinesauce stream.